Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 07:17 AM

207 posts, read 275,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
You've got to be kidding me. Downtown is a "ghost town" after 5 pm when people head home from work.

Has a long way to go before it can be called lively.
A "ghost town"? really?

When was the last time you were on Main Street at 8pm on a Wednesday? Or the Farmers Market or the West End? I have been to all of those places in the past few months after 5pm during week days and weekends. It is far from a ghost town. I do agree that not every single area of downtown has signs of life after 5pm but there are plenty of places that do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2015, 10:37 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dch526 View Post
A "ghost town"? really?

When was the last time you were on Main Street at 8pm on a Wednesday? Or the Farmers Market or the West End? I have been to all of those places in the past few months after 5pm during week days and weekends. It is far from a ghost town. I do agree that not every single area of downtown has signs of life after 5pm but there are plenty of places that do.
I live downtown.

Think our definitions of lively are very different.

Only places I would call lively in dallas would be Uptown, Lower Greenville, and Deep Ellum.

Downtown dallas could be a really great place to hangout. Very beautiful at night.

Unfortunately activity in the area has not caught up with the other areas that I have mentioned above.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I live downtown.

Think our definitions of lively are very different.

Only places I would call lively in dallas would be Uptown, Lower Greenville, and Deep Ellum.

Downtown dallas could be a really great place to hangout. Very beautiful at night.

Unfortunately activity in the area has not caught up with the other areas that I have mentioned above.
I guess our definition of a ghost town is different too.

Agreed, those places are more lively than DTD but to say that the entirety of DTD is a ghost town after 5pm is a straight lie that misleads people who read that comment.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:57 PM

990 posts, read 2,302,558 times
some parts of downtown are ghosts towns, but I wouldn't say Main and Elm are.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I guess our definition of a ghost town is different too.

Agreed, those places are more lively than DTD but to say that the entirety of DTD is a ghost town after 5pm is a straight lie that misleads people who read that comment.
Yes we definitely do have different definitions. I have been a lot of places and Downtown Dallas is the last thing that I would call lively. If you are 40+ years old and don't get out very often.....then YES....it could be described as lively.

As a man in my early 30's have been highly disappointed with the downtown area. Main street has maybe three bars and one Mexican restaurant open at 9 pm......that is not lively IMO.

I think it is lacking in many ways and could be so much more than what it is.

Take it however you like.

Old 07-16-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Yes we definitely do have different definitions. I have been a lot of places and Downtown Dallas is the last thing that I would call lively. If you are 40+ years old and don't get out very often.....then YES....it could be described as lively.

As a man in my early 30's have been highly disappointed with the downtown area. Main street has maybe three bars and one Mexican restaurant open at 9 pm......that is not lively IMO.

I think it is lacking in many ways and could be so much more than what it is.

Take it however you like.
Based on a simple google search for restaurants/bars open after 9pm in DTD (Specifically, the Main St area) I count 17 different places to go. A handful of these have opened recently with more on the way.

I get it, DTD doesn't hold a candle to places like Times Square, Michigan Avenue, etc but it is nowhere near being a ghost town. 5-6 years ago...yea it was a ghost town and it is really amazing how different it is from those days and how much it is currently growing. I think 2017 will be the year where it can really be described as lively

Old 07-17-2015, 07:24 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,905,897 times
Quote:
Based on a simple google search for restaurants/bars open after 9pm in DTD (Specifically, the Main St area) I count 17 different places to go. A handful of these have opened recently with more on the way.

I get it, DTD doesn't hold a candle to places like Times Square, Michigan Avenue, etc but it is nowhere near being a ghost town. 5-6 years ago...yea it was a ghost town and it is really amazing how different it is from those days and how much it is currently growing. I think 2017 will be the year where it can really be described as lively
Seems like a fair statement. Was disappointed when we moved here and went to fearings for brunch on fathers day and it was a ghost town (inside not so much)..but the outside atmosphere and inside atmosphere were totally different. Wasn't expecting Michigan ave or times square but something would have been nice. I was hoping it would have been a happening area of restaurants, shops, music, eating patio style..

The burbs seem more lively!

Old 07-17-2015, 08:01 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
Seems like a fair statement. Was disappointed when we moved here and went to fearings for brunch on fathers day and it was a ghost town (inside not so much)..but the outside atmosphere and inside atmosphere were totally different. Wasn't expecting Michigan ave or times square but something would have been nice. I was hoping it would have been a happening area of restaurants, shops, music, eating patio style..

The burbs seem more lively!
Fearing's isn't even in downtown, but you are corect in that section of lowest McKinney doesn't have a lot of foot traffic outside office hours. The "main drag" runs from Maple north to Knox. That's where all of the patio style restaurants & nightlife is. The Ritz is more in the office part of uptown.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:12 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
One's perspective on downtown depends on how long one has been in Dallas. If you've lived here for 10+ years, you can see how far it's come as viable option for residential and entertainment. The pace is picking up each year in terms of development and redevelopment. If you've just moved here and expected a downtown fit for a metro area with 7 million residents, then yes I can see how Dallas is disappointing. Just give it 5-10 more years and I think most of us won't recognize downtown Dallas anymore.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
If you've just moved here and expected a downtown fit for a metro area with 7 million residents, then yes I can see how Dallas is disappointing. Just give it 5-10 more years and I think most of us won't recognize downtown Dallas anymore.
Agree. There is a lot of potential for the downtown area.

I will say this....the downtown area is absolutely beautiful at night. That is probably the one thing I love the most. Not as bustling as I would like...but from an infrastructure standpoint...a very beautiful area.

I hope they also decide to do more with the Victory Park area.

Love that space also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas