Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2011, 12:59 AM

15,472 posts, read 10,396,446 times

Advertisements

Hilarious, nothing like a newbie (cough cough) bumping up an old thread every few months. I see a pattern, lol.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:37 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,130,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
How many Park Cities people do you really know?!

I think this guy is talking about Collin County burbs when he keeps saying "north end." WTH is "north end?" That's not even a Dallas geographic term...if this guy ever did live here, it must have been for 5 minutes or when he was in middle school and didn't realize middle school sucks for 99% of everyone.
LOL, true. I have known a few people from the Park Cities and most of them have been pretty nice, though I have personally witnessed or have been told about some pretty appalling behavior as well. I don't like to spend time in PH or the Park Cities because I find the general attitude there to be a little on the pushy and self-important side. I see the same attitude in Frisco, though, to be fair.

I don't think everyone in PH or the Park Cities is a lost cause though! I mean, I'm from PH and I'm not a jerk. And you're from the Park Cities and you're not one either! So apologies if I offended you.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:15 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,799,810 times
Quote:
Since you love to hate on Dallas so much, why not try to move somewhere other than here? Just saying....

I can't believe you took the bait of someone who actually said it's a "fact" that 5% of Dallas is white.
Listen, I think you know I think you are a great poster here, and probably a good person too, but seriously..Banding together to beat the odds! This sounds incredibly familiar, and it seems you have a short memory for all the nice things I have helped point out about Dallas. Typical...If I were Texan though I would be treated differently though right? Just sayin...

Since when do I 'love' to hate Dallas? But now that you mention it moving somewhere else, or not moving at all is always a possibility. Mainly I am just taking it ALL in. After a year of both vocal and silent observation on these boards and my frequent visits and business interactions I can see some of the points referenced here being true. Calling it like you see it and hating are two completely different things.

I have come to the conclusion based on the generally tenor on these boards that in Texas if you're not from there your generally not going to be accepted. Which is odd because it's just NOT like that in the Northeast-and you lived in NY so you should know it.

Sorry, but as you will notice I have little patience for the absurd, and saying I hate Dallas or (as others have said) don't have a voice here on these boards because I am not 'from' there is just that. Somewhat validates the points being made in this thread as well.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post

I have come to the conclusion based on the generally tenor on these boards that in Texas if you're not from there your generally not going to be accepted. Which is odd because it's just NOT like that in the Northeast-and you lived in NY so you should know it.

With all due respect, you don't live here so you don't really know what day to day life here is like and I don't think your brief visits here and interactions with a handful of DFW residents on a message board give you enough information to form a well-informed opinion of prevailing attitudes in this area.

As someone who was born here, raised here, and has spent most of their life here I can say without a doubt that in general, "outsiders" are accepted and welcomed here. You're talking about a metro area where people think it's unusual to meet someone who is actually from here. In many suburban and exurban neighborhoods, a significant percentage of residents (sometimes the majority) are transplants and corporate transfers from out of state. Not accepted? Please. If anything, us natives sometimes feel like the outsiders.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
With all due respect, you don't live here so you don't really know what day to day life here is like and I don't think your brief visits here and interactions with a handful of DFW residents on a message board give you enough information to form a well-informed opinion of prevailing attitudes in this area.

As someone who was born here, raised here, and has spent most of their life here I can say without a doubt that in general, "outsiders" are accepted and welcomed here. You're talking about a metro area where people think it's unusual to meet someone who is actually from here. In many suburban and exurban neighborhoods, a significant percentage of residents (sometimes the majority) are transplants and corporate transfers from out of state. Not accepted? Please. If anything, us natives sometimes feel like the outsiders.
Actually, this is a great way to put it and very helpful to create some perspective, barring the sarcasm. I do have a few friends who have been fairly good resources, but yes I don't have the experiences of living there. Lots of good information gathered though, more than the average relocator..Definitely don't think I know it all either so sorry if I come across that way to you.

Last edited by skids929; 06-11-2011 at 07:12 AM..

Old 06-11-2011, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKick View Post
I wonder what Dallas, TX I am living in because it's not nearly like what some of these posters are posting. For the most part, people are very friendly especially the native residents with whom I have interacted. I have lived a lot of places. People (as a whole) were much ruder in NJ and MD than here. People in NC were more likely to be sweet to your face but stab you in the back. Mostly people in Atlanta were pretty friendly. I think other than a bit overly hot in the summer and not quite diverse enough topography, this is a really great place.
I'm glad you are enjoying DFW. I think on balance it's a great place to live; sure, it has its bad points but you can do a lot worse.

I agree about people in the northeast; every time I've traveled up there, people have been pretty rude. I thought people in NC were really great but I didn't spend that much time there so I saw the "sweet to your face" part but none of the "stab in the back" part. I think overall a lot of Southern friendliness is just people being polite. I am usually friendly in person, even to people I don't like or to people who aren't being friendly in return, because that is the culture here and I think there's no point in escalating a tense situation by being rude. But that's just me; I don't see it as "fake", I see it as "proper". I can see how other people would see it as fake, though.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:09 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,701,336 times
Folks in Dallas is like folks in any town in the USA. You've got your friendly ones, your not so friendly ones, and the ones you wish you just would've never made eye contact with....but on average i'd say we're nice, good natured folks. I've also met some of the nicest and most down to earth folks in the Northeast(spent some idle time in NH, Vermont). The R-complex is a funny thing and it always reminds me not to get too caught up in territoriality when it starts to rear it's ugly head. If someone starts knocking where you live, brush it off, and realize that it's obviously not keeping folks from moving to the area. Peace

Old 06-11-2011, 09:20 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,154,575 times
Quote:
After a year of both vocal and silent observation on these boards and my frequent visits and business interactions I can see some of the points referenced here being true. Calling it like you see it and hating are two completely different things.
I've been to LA a dozen or more times in the past 3 years for business trips and a weekend vacation or two. I know enough about it to VISUALLY compare & contrast various neighborhoods and some suburbs. I've met quite a few people who currently live there (for how long, don't really know as it doesn't come up on business trips). But I don't know the ins and outs like someone who actually LIVES there. And neither do you about Dallas. You simply can't have that kind of read on a city until you do live there for about 2 years. And having "business interactions" isn't the best way to learn about the culture & behaviors of a city's people. A lot of people I've worked with in Dallas and NYC are going to have a cocky/ ego/ elitist/ competitive/ out to judge or "get" you attitude at work because they're professionally competitive. Then they turn around and spend all Saturday on an East Texas lake fishing or at home teaching their kids to ride a bike or complete a science fair presentation....not "staring down" the neighbors and heckling them about their new car choice as their work persona may lead you to believe they would.

Quote:
It's odd that is your takeaway from the board considering if you think about the total amount of posters- regulars and the one-timers- about 90% are not native Dallasites or even native Texans. I have about 200 people on my floor at work. There are, to my knowledge, only 7 of us who grew up in the metroplex (including Arlington, Plano, Fort Worth etc as "natives"). That's pretty representative of what you'll find in the suburbs here. The "old timers" have maybe been in the area for 15-20 years since their HQ's relo'd. Now in the actual city of Dallas, you'll find more "born & raised" Dallasites...maybe 40%-50% of some neighborhoods.

So it's weird that you think that the 5% or whatever of natives are controlling who is "accepted". People are accepted if they're warm and welcoming, or in some neighborhoods if they fit the "mold." But not because they're not natives. Sheesh.

Quote:
Sorry, but as you will notice I have little patience for the absurd, and saying I hate Dallas or (as others have said) don't have a voice here on these boards because I am not 'from' there is just that. Somewhat validates the points being made in this thread as well.
Do you have a valid voice on the forum? It depends on the issue. If it's answering a question about the real estate market in Flower Mound, then yes you would be able to provide accurate factual information about comps, days on market, etc from realtor and published data. If someone is asking you the personality/culture of McKinney residents or what a particular school district runs like or whether the city is racist/snobby/evangelical/etc, no, until you've experienced those aspects thoroughly over time, you don't have a valid data point. Sorry. And it's not because you're not a native, it's because you don't live here AT ALL.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:18 AM

Quote:
I've been to LA a dozen or more times in the past 3 years for business trips and a weekend vacation or two. I know enough about it to VISUALLY compare & contrast various neighborhoods and some suburbs. I've met quite a few people who currently live there (for how long, don't really know as it doesn't come up on business trips). But I don't know the ins and outs like someone who actually LIVES there. And neither do you about Dallas. You simply can't have that kind of read on a city until you do live there for about 2 years. And having "business interactions" isn't the best way to learn about the culture & behaviors of a city's people. A lot of people I've worked with in Dallas and NYC are going to have a cocky/ ego/ elitist/ competitive/ out to judge or "get" you attitude at work because they're professionally competitive. Then they turn around and spend all Saturday on an East Texas lake fishing or at home teaching their kids to ride a bike or complete a science fair presentation....not "staring down" the neighbors and heckling them about their new car choice as their work persona may lead you to believe they would.

It's odd that is your takeaway from the board considering if you think about the total amount of posters- regulars and the one-timers- about 90% are not native Dallasites or even native Texans. I have about 200 people on my floor at work. There are, to my knowledge, only 7 of us who grew up in the metroplex (including Arlington, Plano, Fort Worth etc as "natives"). That's pretty representative of what you'll find in the suburbs here. The "old timers" have maybe been in the area for 15-20 years since their HQ's relo'd. Now in the actual city of Dallas, you'll find more "born & raised" Dallasites...maybe 40%-50% of some neighborhoods.

So it's weird that you think that the 5% or whatever of natives are controlling who is "accepted". People are accepted if they're warm and welcoming, or in some neighborhoods if they fit the "mold." But not because they're not natives. Sheesh.

Do you have a valid voice on the forum? It depends on the issue. If it's answering a question about the real estate market in Flower Mound, then yes you would be able to provide accurate factual information about comps, days on market, etc from realtor and published data. If someone is asking you the personality/culture of McKinney residents or what a particular school district runs like or whether the city is racist/snobby/evangelical/etc, no, until you've experienced those aspects thoroughly over time, you don't have a valid data point. Sorry. And it's not because you're not a native, it's because you don't live here AT ALL.
What about the fact my brother has lived there for the past three years in Southlake? Or my cousins who have a successful business located in Coppell? It's more than just work interactions and the people here, and friends I have that live there. But yes I agree with you on most of the points you made, maybe I am not completely qualified to comment on the cultural aspects. BTW, not sure it matters but FM is not the only city/town I have been too or considered. It just usually beats out all the other places I like overall when it comes to schools and real estate.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:50 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,397,061 times
Personally I think it's fairly childish and shows a lack of critical thinking for a grown adult to use a broad brush and say "the people in city X are aholes/racist/snobbish/fill in the blank with your favorite adjective" unless you've met the majority of the people living in an area (at least 50%) then you CANNOT use such a blanket term for a city. Now you can say that the city doesnt make YOU feel comfortable in some way (commute, price points, style of housing and a million and one other reasons in between) and it would be perfectly reasonable for you to present your case for and against a particular locale in this fashion, as merely YOUR personal experience of a city.
Finally I second what buster said, every city has its own mix of the good, the bad and the ugly. I personally think Dallas is big enough and diverse enough for most people to find their version of the good and avoid the other two, and still live here comfortably. Just my two cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas