Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 11:20 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,372,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
For what it's worth I found a few houses in RISD (close to Dallas, "safe" area, good schools) for under 300K. All updated and with pools.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...1_M81067-95747

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...1_M85023-64982
Found one in Lake Highlands (RISD). It backs up to 635, but it's a nice house for $299k:

10722 Ferndale Rd, Dallas, TX 75238 is For Sale | Zillow

And lots of listings under $300k in the L streets.

Last edited by hbdwihdh378y9; 07-24-2015 at 11:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 12:00 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,463,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Sure, but you can buy in the RHS or JJ Pearce zones for under $300k if you don't mind a smaller house, one that needs a little updating, or just get really lucky.

You're definitely not going to get a 2k+ sq ft 3-2 or 4-2 house that's updated and move-in ready for under $300k in Richardson in a nice school district. That ship has sailed for the most part! If you're content with living in less than 2k sq ft and can deal with doing some cosmetic updates or even tearing out a couple of bathrooms or the kitchen...now we're talking.
And that's where you have to find the trade off. A few bathrooms, kitchen and pool is going to be a 50-100K piece to add. Plus we have two growing boys and my wife wants a little room. Nothing like the 3000sqft+ boxes in Plano/Allen, but anything under 1800 is pushing it. Lol. We definitely haven't scratched JJ Pearce off our list, it's just going to be finding the right home at the right time!

Old 07-24-2015, 12:15 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs418 View Post
I think you are really reaching on this example....

What I truly think is happening is people are buying homes with >5% down payment.
Suit yourself. I know several people who work at a Dallas-based company that was recently bought out by private equity. The way the deal was structured, EVERY SINGLE ONE of their 1500 employees got 1x their annual salary as part of the deal. I can tell you most of the 20-somethings in that office who just got a $30-60k windfall are all talking about buying houses with that cash, while most of the older people chose to roll it into retirement accounts or put towards college savings.

The economy is REALLY GOOD right now, especially in Dallas / Texas. All I can say - whether you believe me or not- is that there are a lot of people making a lot of money right now in a lot of different industries. And it isn't all going to the 1% / CEO's that may be your assumption.

Also, as the baby boomers die (the oldest are 70 this year), the greatest wealth transfer in history will occur. $30 TRILLION of wealth has begun to transfer to Gen X, Millenials, and Gen Z, which will continue for the next 20-30 years. That's a lot of inheritance money.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
What I truly think is happening is people are buying homes with >5% down payment.
Also, I think you meant <5%.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:22 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,212 times
Quote:
I think you are really reaching on this example....

Have you looked up the home equity statistics for the area? If not, where are you getting this 5% number from?

I haven't confirmed, but I don't think the majority of home buyers in the area are first-time homeowners. They're families that are a bit more established, maybe some older couples and singles that have years of home ownership (and equity) under their belts. They're not going to struggle as much with a larger downpayment, making the income-to-house-cost ratio as a non-issue.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Also, as the baby boomers die (the oldest are 70 this year), the greatest wealth transfer in history will occur. $30 TRILLION of wealth has begun to transfer to Gen X, Millenials, and Gen Z, which will continue for the next 20-30 years. That's a lot of inheritance money.
And a LOT of taxes.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
And a LOT of taxes.
Well, the first $5M individual / $10M married couple are tax-free. Since only 2 out of every 1,000 estates owe any estate taxes, it's not a big deal for all but the top .2% of households.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:36 PM

450 posts, read 555,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
Have you looked up the home equity statistics for the area? If not, where are you getting this 5% number from?

I haven't confirmed, but I don't think the majority of home buyers in the area are first-time homeowners. They're families that are a bit more established, maybe some older couples and singles that have years of home ownership (and equity) under their belts. They're not going to struggle as much with a larger downpayment, making the income-to-house-cost ratio as a non-issue.
Quote:
Also, I think you meant <5%.
Quote:
Suit yourself. I know several people who work at a Dallas-based company that was recently bought out by private equity. The way the deal was structured, EVERY SINGLE ONE of their 1500 employees got 1x their annual salary as part of the deal. I can tell you most of the 20-somethings in that office who just got a $30-60k windfall are all talking about buying houses with that cash, while most of the older people chose to roll it into retirement accounts or put towards college savings.

The economy is REALLY GOOD right now, especially in Dallas / Texas. All I can say - whether you believe me or not- is that there are a lot of people making a lot of money right now in a lot of different industries. And it isn't all going to the 1% / CEO's that may be your assumption.

Yes I did mean <5%. Nice catch.

I'm not saying its exactly what is happening, but maybe.

I would agree with you that the majority of home buyers are older and more established, especially when they have to deal with cash offers.

Old 07-24-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Well, the first $5M individual / $10M married couple are tax-free. Since only 2 out of every 1,000 estates owe any estate taxes, it's not a big deal for all but the top .2% of households.
Not just estate, but inheritance tax as well. But yes, MOST will not suffer.

*Yes I know this is not a Texas issue.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:00 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
And that's where you have to find the trade off. A few bathrooms, kitchen and pool is going to be a 50-100K piece to add. Plus we have two growing boys and my wife wants a little room. Nothing like the 3000sqft+ boxes in Plano/Allen, but anything under 1800 is pushing it. Lol. We definitely haven't scratched JJ Pearce off our list, it's just going to be finding the right home at the right time!
It's a tall order but they do exist.

And space really is a personal thing. Some people REALLY like to spread out...others, not so much. And some people sacrifice square footage for a shorter commute. It's all up to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas