Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2015, 08:57 PM

25 posts, read 22,947 times

Advertisements

I am excited to be moving to NOC!

Hoping for recommendations on parks, restaurants, live music, grocery stores, coffee shops…

Specifically : is kessler parkway an actual park or just a green space by the road?
Is the trinity trail good for running, or just a scenic view?
Is the Belmont hotel still worth a visit, or is the view blocked by the new high-rise?
Where are the best areas for walking / bike riding?
Any places recommended for live music in NOC?
Is bishop Arts good for nightlife, or more of dinner/shopping only?

Any good grocery markets?
Any fruit / agua fresca places?

Any places to avoid?

If parking in a gated apartment complex just in an outdoor parking area with controlled gate access, is it worth it to pay for the private garage parking? Have already had a car break in at the Oak Lawn area so wondering if its better to be safe…(nothing valuable was in site and car is not anything special)

(I am also new to Texas in general)

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 09:41 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,779 times
Joy Macarons
Lockhart Smokehouse
Zolis Pizza
Taqueria El Si Hey

Old 08-02-2015, 12:25 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,355 times
Yes, the Belmont is still cool to visit though the view isn't what it once was. For a good bar with a patio (though no view), also check out The Foundry (almost directly across from the Belmont).

As for some of your other questions:

Off-Site Kitchen for burgers

Veracruz or La Calle Doce for Mexican

Eno's for cracker-crust pizza

Lucia for Italian

Spiral Diner for vegetarian

Lockhart's for barbecue

El Si Hay for a taqueria

Oddfellows or Jonathon's for breakfast/brunch

The Texas Theatre for art house movies (and the occasional concert)

The Kessler for live music

Bishop Arts is mostly for food/bars. There used to be a jazz club there but it left many years ago.

The area remains severely under-retailed in terms of grocery stores. Cox Farms is good for produce and some basics but it's not great for everything. Sylvan Thirty development was supposed to have a butcher by now but that never happened and Cox carries very little meat because they presumed a butcher would be part of the development. The Tom Thumb on Hampton is not great. There's also an Aldi's on Fort Worth Avenue and a couple of Fiestas in the area. There's also a small place called Urban Acres but I understand they're becoming less of a store and more of a restaurant now.

Kessler Parkway is the street with the trail running alongside.

The Trinity Skyline Trail is OK for cycling or running.

Trinity Skyline Trail

Old 08-02-2015, 06:59 AM

574 posts, read 1,478,728 times
Only recently started visiting that area and I love it! We have tried (and really liked) Eno's Tavern, Lockhart's, Spiral Diner, and Emporium Pies. The only slight disappointment to me was Emporium. Maybe it's because we lived in Georgia many years and good pies abound just about everywhere. Emporium was good, but it didn't knock my socks off.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:04 AM

Awesome suggestions - thanks!

How is Lake Cliff Park?

Any thoughts about whether its worth paying the extra $100 a month for a private parking garage? As I said in my OP, I have already had a break-in in my current parking garage in Oak Lawn, not wanting to ask for more!

Old 08-02-2015, 03:38 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,355 times
Is the $100 parking space covered and would the alternative be uncovered? If so, I would pay the $100 to be better able to avoid hail damage to your car in the spring.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:51 PM

Oh wow didn't know hail was happening here ! Thanks for the tip

Old 08-02-2015, 04:04 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Oh yes. We get a LOT of hail in the spring! Personally, I always make sure my car has a spot in the garage or at least under a cover!

Old 08-03-2015, 09:57 AM

244 posts, read 405,755 times
Specifically : is kessler parkway an actual park or just a green space by the road?

Kessler Parkway is more of a green space by the road that also has a little park like thing that leads to one of the Trinity River Levees. I run a lot in Kessler/Stephens and the parkway is a blessing for a recovery run because it's pretty flat (versus the brutal hills everywhere else.

Is the trinity trail good for running, or just a scenic view?

I wouldn't consider it rough enough for a trail run, but it's good for running when it's not 100 degrees out.

Is the Belmont hotel still worth a visit, or is the view blocked by the new high-rise?
Still worth a visit though I think their food has gone down hill.

Where are the best areas for walking / bike riding?
Check out DORBA for the best info on this [url=http://www.dorba.org/]Dallas Off Road Bicycle Association

Any places recommended for live music in NOC?
Hands down, the Kessler. It is listening room style, so less rowdy

Is bishop Arts good for nightlife, or more of dinner/shopping only?
I think it's pretty good- more live music, pubs have entered in the past few years. Check out 10 Bells, Wild Detectives, Nova (near Bishop)

Any good grocery markets?
I like Urban Acres

Any fruit / agua fresca places?
Stroll down Jefferson ave for these- every one has something a little different

Any places to avoid?
Cafe Brazil? Slow service and lackluster food.

If parking in a gated apartment complex just in an outdoor parking area with controlled gate access, is it worth it to pay for the private garage parking? Have already had a car break in at the Oak Lawn area so wondering if its better to be safe…(nothing valuable was in site and car is not anything special)
For the hell of the heat, get the garage parking

There was another mention of Lake Cliff Park, which is a great park. I have a kid, so I love the play area. Also enjoy running there as part of shorter runs and using the area for pickup socker or Tennis. Kidd Springs Park is another worth checking out.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:07 PM

Thank you - great info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas