Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 09:58 AM

18 posts, read 19,812 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm a single mother of two girls 13 & 7. I reside in Memphis, TN and looking for a change since I'm recently divorced. I've had several jobs contact me (Accountant/Auditor field) and one looks pretty promising, which is the AAFES located at 3911 S. Walton Walker Blvd. Of course my main concerns are schools...elementary and soon to be high school. I really like the 75287 and Plano area school district, but if I get this job that commute may be out of the question. What is a good area with great schools that may be close to the job. Or is that commute not that bad of an idea? I really want a diverse area .

Oh I'm looking for a 3/2 town home, house to rent, or even apartment for around 1400 a month.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 10:33 AM

216 posts, read 343,951 times
I think your best bet would be to look in Las Colinas considering where the job is. North Dallas is too far away. There are some good choices I think in Irving too for schools. University Park is not that far away and great schools - but I don't think that a townhome for $1400 can be had there. But maybe! I would check those areas. Good luck!

Old 07-30-2015, 11:47 AM

University Park? Is there a zip code for this area? I've heard of Las Colinas area!

Thanks!

Old 07-30-2015, 12:14 PM

8,145 posts, read 8,345,769 times
Las Colinas/Valley Ranch in zip code 75063 has decent schools but pretty high rent; your commute would not be in the general flow of rush hour traffic for much of your drive, so that is good.

Arlington in zip 76017 has decent schools and workable rent. Both middle schools and all elementaries that feed into Martin high school are good. Martin is a good performing High School, too. Very diverse.

You might look into DeSoto, too. Its a nice area with reasonable rents; but I don't know about the schools. Mansfield is also something to consider because the schools are OK. there are sections of southwest Grand Prairie that are served by Mansfield schools that would also be very worth checking into.

Always verify with school districts that a place you're considering is served as described by landlords. There are several places that have a specific city address and are in the attendance zones of other districts.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:52 PM

164 posts, read 252,713 times
Driving from Plano ISD or any of the surrounding areas would a brutal 1hr+ one way excursion every day. University Park is out with your budget. I think Las Colinas might be a stretch for 3BR/$1400 as well. I would stick to Mansfield/S. Arlington (Martin area) if schools are your primary concern. Martin is more diverse than Mansfield. If schools weren't a concern DeSoto/Duncanville/Cedar Hill would be good places but their schools aren't high performing. It's a little further out and less diverse, but Midlothian might also be worth a look.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:46 PM

Ok. Thanks guys! This give me something to work with! I guess my main concerns first would be schools, commute, then budget. If I could put what's most important in order. But all this input is helpful and includes areas I haven't heard of.

Old 08-02-2015, 01:27 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times
If your first concern is schools, then stay away from DeSoto, Duncanville, and Cedar Hill...

Old 08-02-2015, 01:45 AM

990 posts, read 2,303,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
If your first concern is schools, then stay away from DeSoto, Duncanville, and Cedar Hill...
kinda broad?

Old 08-02-2015, 09:09 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
kinda broad?
No, it's not broad. It's only three communities and they are all in the same area. A lot of people like to point posters (especially black ones) in the direction of DeSoto, Duncanville, and Cedar Hill because "you can get a lot of house for your money," but the schools are some of the worst in the Metroplex. People who have children and who are concerned about their schooling and education need to know that before they get deceived by the lower housing prices or by the proximity of that three town area to where they work.

Last edited by NoClueWho; 08-02-2015 at 09:37 AM..

Old 08-02-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
No, it's not broad. It's only three communities and they are all in the same area. A lot of people like to point posters (especially black ones) in the direction of DeSoto, Duncanville, and Cedar Hill because "you can get a lot of house for your money," but the schools are some of the worst in the Metroplex. People who have children and who are concerned about their schooling and education need to know that before they get deceived by the lower housing prices or by the proximity of that three town area to where they work.
Thanks, I'm coming from an area where housing was lower and you get more for your money, but the schools were low performing within that district. So, I'm willing to have less house and pay more for my children to have better schooling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas