Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 08:53 AM

81 posts, read 142,928 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to dallas (plano specifically) soon. Should my wife start applying for jobs now or after relocating? My train of thought is this, if she applies for jobs now, she would be applying as somebody who currently has a job (which is generally more attractive versus somebody whose unemployed). However, her address isn't local. Since I'm relocating, she also has the option of quitting her current job, relocate, and then use the local address to start applying for jobs.

Which is the better option here? My priority is to maximize her chances of finding a job. She works in the corporate retail/furniture/home decoration, so there's roughly 8 companies that are really good fits for her. I'm afraid that if she sends out her resume early now, the companies would reject the application because it's not local and then not reconsider after she relocates. On the flip side, if she relocates first, I'm afraid employers might see her current unemployment as a red flag.

Thoughts? Financially, we aren't in a tight situation and I don't need her to make money. My decision will hang solely on maximizing her chances of finding a job with an employer she likes.

On that note, if anybody knows of good headhunters/recruiters in Dallas/Plano for her industry, please shoot me a message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 09:21 AM

7,890 posts, read 11,410,931 times
I would start now but clearly disclose you are moving and where you will be living once here as well as timing of course. Another option if you have a friend or access to a local address use it but still explain the story of course.

Welcome and good luck

Old 07-31-2015, 10:00 AM

64 posts, read 86,615 times
What Johnhw2 said...

Also - will both of you be moving at the same time ? Here's how some friends of mine did it and it worked well for them :
1) Relocating person moves first - alone. Rents a home/apt to establish an address.
2) Spouse stays put, but applies for positions using the local address. Be open about the fact that that spouse does hold a job out of town. But the local address does indeed get u in thru the door more often.
3) Spouse flies in / drives in for interviews as needed.

Hope it all works out. Welcome !

Old 07-31-2015, 11:35 AM

Thanks so much for the advice. So for me, I won't be moving for another 2 months since I need to transition my work before I can move over to the new team. Because of this, I won't have a local address to give her. I do have a friend in Dallas though and I could possibly use that as a local address. As terms of explaining the story, how should she structure this on her resume? Should she just include 2 addresses (local address and also a husband address)? Or would all the explaining happen with the recruiter, assuming we're able to connect with a recruiter. I'm trying to think more tactically how to go about this.

We'd also strongly prefer not to be separated during this time period.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:21 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
If you don't need her to work right away, just let her wait until she gets here.

Old 07-31-2015, 02:51 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Both options are ok. If she waits until you move here, companies will not give a second glance to a resume "gap. People relocate all the time which means spouses need to find jobs, too. Just be sure to use temporary housing as her retail options are spread out all over the metroplex.

If she wants to start now, it can't hurt. She should start networking with the hiring managers at those companies, as well as any friend of friend connections she may have.

Old 08-04-2015, 08:33 AM

How do you usually let companies know you relocated due to husband relocation? Do you include that in the resume?

Old 08-04-2015, 08:39 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
That should be discussed in an interview, if at all. The employer should be more concerned that she's here now, and what her qualifications are than with why she relocated. It's not unusual at all to have applicants who are newcomers to DFW.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:10 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfingers33 View Post
How do you usually let companies know you relocated due to husband relocation? Do you include that in the resume?
Put it into your intro email / cover letter: "my family is relocating to Dallas on August 15th" or whatever the date is.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:10 PM

446 posts, read 846,300 times
Good advice here. You can do it w the cover letter, don't clutter the resume with it. Personally, I'd have her start looking now and sending resumes out. The process is slow, regardless if the company is small or large. Once I got an offer at a F15, it took 2 months from offer to start.

Similarly, it took an avg. of 2.5 mo. from the time my wife did her 1st interview to the offer letter with 3 separate companies (all recently). In fact, one has been a full 4 months since the first 1st interview to the offer being sent out.

I'd put your friend's address. It won't be brought up until the 1st or 2nd interview anyway, so no need to disclose any other specifics until that point.

EDIT: Only put your friend's address if (a) you're willing to pay for her to fly down for interviews or (b) she's in an industry/role where it's not likely the co. will pay for her to fly for interviews. Otherwise, keep your current address and let them front those costs or just wait till you move.

Last edited by nissan; 08-04-2015 at 02:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: