Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 02:15 PM

254 posts, read 431,555 times

Advertisements

The house we're buying has a shed. I'm interested in moving it to the corner of the yard.

Can anyone PM me some names of people/companies who do this type of work?

The shed is 10x12.5 and (obviously) is fully assembled already so I'm not sure how or if it can be moved. I'll probably need someone to come look at it.

The spot I'd like to move it to appears to have been a former site for a shed (smaller) so it appears that just a couple more pilings could be installed (or concrete pad) and could be good to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 02:23 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,114,343 times
What's it made of? Metal? Wood? Vinyl? If it was wood, was it built from plywood sheets or was it a custom build?

How well it it built? Not all sheds are created equal!

What kind of foundation is it on now? If it's on wood, what condition is it in? And if it IS on wood, is it just resting on beams on concrete piers or is it a wood platform made of plywood?

If it's on concrete, are you sure it's even possible to move it in one piece without the floor falling out and collapsing the whole thing?

You know you can buy a vinyl shed for around $1k at Sam's and have it delivered and assembled for another $360, right?

All you'd need then is a permit and a foundation to put it on and you'd be GTG.

Might want to balance that against the cost of moving the shed.

You also may want to check with the city to make sure that codes permit a shed to be placed where you want to put it. Just because it was code to put one there in the past doesn't mean it's code now.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
What's it made of? Metal? Wood? Vinyl? If it was wood, was it built from plywood sheets or was it a custom build?

How well it it built? Not all sheds are created equal!

What kind of foundation is it on now? If it's on wood, what condition is it in? And if it IS on wood, is it just resting on beams on concrete piers or is it a wood platform made of plywood?

If it's on concrete, are you sure it's even possible to move it in one piece without the floor falling out and collapsing the whole thing?

You know you can buy a vinyl shed for around $1k at Sam's and have it delivered and assembled for another $360, right?

All you'd need then is a permit and a foundation to put it on and you'd be GTG.

Might want to balance that against the cost of moving the shed.

You also may want to check with the city to make sure that codes permit a shed to be placed where you want to put it. Just because it was code to put one there in the past doesn't mean it's code now.
Thanks BigD. It's built well enough that I'll consider moving it. It's currently on concrete piers (blocks) with the front of it supported at the ground. I'd love to get the whole thing off of the ground to help prevent it from rotting/termites. That's why I'm looking at moving it.

I'll look into codes, permits, and setbacks when appropriate. In the meantime I want someone to come and give an estimate. Preferably the guy I hire knows about permitting and such. No HOA here.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:17 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,114,343 times
It's certainly possible to move it; larger structures have been moved in one piece. The question will boil down to whether it's worth the money to move it vs building a new one. I can see why you want to keep it, though. Looks to be in good shape.

Best of luck and let us know what you decide!

Old 08-01-2015, 11:14 AM

176 posts, read 232,357 times
rent a tractor that has fork lift. Small tractor of course.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:36 PM

540 posts, read 1,100,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yeah, double check this. We are required to have our shed at least 10 ft inside our property line.

Old 08-01-2015, 07:39 PM

Thanks all!

I haven't considered renting a tractor but that's not a bad idea really.

Guess I gotta look into code compliance now. And pouring a concrete pad.

Old 08-01-2015, 08:01 PM

3,040 posts, read 8,334,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNDHOG View Post
Thanks all!

I haven't considered renting a tractor but that's not a bad idea really.

Guess I gotta look into code compliance now. And pouring a concrete pad.
Hey GRNDHOG,

If you're planning to pour a pad then speak with a local foundation company. They can start you with referrals to sub-contractors they use. They generally have subs for all types of work needed during or after repairs. You can also search contractors that specialize in patio additions/pours. They may have a skidsteer or track loader (Bobcat Track Loader 1300-1699 lbs.) with a forklift attachment that will do the job. The only problem is getting it past the left or right side fences. Most likely though once that shed is empty it might be light enough for other methods of movement including at least partly by hand.

You can try these three foundation companies.

Perma-Pier Foundation Repair
www.permapier.com

Structured Foundation Repair
www.structuredfoundation.com

Integrated Foundation Solutions
www.ifsdfw.com

Of course if you want to have some fun United Rental rents Bobcats and can most likely have one fitted with a forklift attachment. Those Bobcats (skidsteers) are a hoot to play with!

Old 08-09-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escanlan View Post
Hey GRNDHOG,

If you're planning to pour a pad then speak with a local foundation company. They can start you with referrals to sub-contractors they use. They generally have subs for all types of work needed during or after repairs. You can also search contractors that specialize in patio additions/pours. They may have a skidsteer or track loader (Bobcat Track Loader 1300-1699 lbs.) with a forklift attachment that will do the job. The only problem is getting it past the left or right side fences. Most likely though once that shed is empty it might be light enough for other methods of movement including at least partly by hand.

You can try these three foundation companies.

Perma-Pier Foundation Repair
www.permapier.com

Structured Foundation Repair
www.structuredfoundation.com

Integrated Foundation Solutions
www.ifsdfw.com

Of course if you want to have some fun United Rental rents Bobcats and can most likely have one fitted with a forklift attachment. Those Bobcats (skidsteers) are a hoot to play with!

Thank you sir!

Of course, I can remove either side of the fence and get a bobcat in there. Then use that as the opportunity to replace the gate/fence on that side. Two birds, right?

Old 08-10-2015, 09:06 AM

5,252 posts, read 6,345,187 times
The roof on that thing looks like it's got a serious dip - I'd have whomever you are paying to move it check its stability as well. Maybe it's the photo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas