Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 09:26 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,924,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mami2emily View Post
Certainly an accomplishment. However, the high number of perfect ACT scores doesn't impress me any more given the high number of expensive ACT tutoring consultants in the Metroplex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
Totally agree with you. I'm sure all those kids did test prep and tutoring.
Most of the test prep places focus on the SAT, not the ACT. Karen Dillard, for instance, runs a program of 14 2-hour classes for the SAT, which most kids go through at least twice, and many three times. That's followed by continual seminars, sample tests, and computerized review - all targeted at the SAT.

In contrast, their ACT prep (a freebie with paid SAT prep) consists of only 8 hours total, focused mostly on making sure you're familiar with the test format, timing, and question types.

(Full disclosure: My kid didn't even make it through that. He went to two ACT sessions before concluding that they were a total waste of his time. )

Long story short - the SAT is more teachable/beatable. The ACT, not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emc62 View Post
It is easy for Oklahoma newspaper to list 17 names, Texas has 226 so that's a long list. I believe Plano West has more perfect scores than entire state of Oklahoma.
Eh, that's an unlikely claim. Could happen, probably didn't. To make that true, you'd need PWSH to get perfect ACT scores at a rate of 1 in 80, vs. the national rate of 1 in 1200 or so. PWSH kids might be smart, but they ain't that smart.

Plano West kids aren't magical, and, as noted above, the "robo-kids" are programmed for the SAT more than the ACT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 10:31 AM

127 posts, read 165,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
No offence but nobody is really trying to impress you. Getting a perfect a ACT score is always impressive to college. It is not due to just tutoring alone but due to the kid's dedication as well. There are many who take the tutoring but never reach the perfect score. It is hard work and tutoring helps you to work smartly!
Exactly. You can offer same opportunities to everyone but only a certain percentage is willing or capable to benefit.

Last edited by Emc62; 08-02-2015 at 11:24 AM..

Old 08-02-2015, 01:16 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,615,897 times
I made a lot of money in college tutoring high schools students.

Test prep alone without a solid math/science foundation will not yield much results.

Those that had top scores are almost always the ones that took advanced math and science courses (AP calculus, physics, AP chemistry, etc).

It is definitely possible to teach a student to master the SAT/ACT but only after they have mastered all of the fundamentals and only with the assistance of specialized tutoring.

Most students in high school never master the basics because their learning ends at 2:30 pm when the school bell rings.

I applaud any student that can ace a standardized test regardless of their race. Takes a lot of hard work and practice.

AND for the last post....every student does not have the same exposure to resources. I know several people that would

have jumped at the opportunity for tutoring.

Old 08-02-2015, 05:08 PM

574 posts, read 1,477,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
Most of the test prep places focus on the SAT, not the ACT. Karen Dillard, for instance, runs a program of 14 2-hour classes for the SAT, which most kids go through at least twice, and many three times. That's followed by continual seminars, sample tests, and computerized review - all targeted at the SAT.

In contrast, their ACT prep (a freebie with paid SAT prep) consists of only 8 hours total, focused mostly on making sure you're familiar with the test format, timing, and question types. .
We have met many people in our district paying north of $3K for ACT tutoring, not SAT, through private tutors and small companies specializing in the ACT. A lot of the programs I personally looked into encompass 24 hours' worth of private tutoring for the ACT. I was floored as I had never even heard of the ACT growing up, most schools required the SAT. Now a lot of schools take either one. Most of the kids my daughter knows plan to focus on the ACT.

Old 08-02-2015, 05:47 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times
25 years ago it was regional. Midwestern states preferred ACT which is why it still gets do much focus on Illinois as a benchmarking test. I took both but there were probably 3 dozen kids who took the SAT. And all those were looking to flee the state. I mean attend out of state.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:07 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,406,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
25 years ago it was regional. Midwestern states preferred ACT which is why it still gets do much focus on Illinois as a benchmarking test. I took both but there were probably 3 dozen kids who took the SAT. And all those were looking to flee the state. I mean attend out of state.
I attended high school in Illinois. We referred to the ACT as the community college goal because that's what they required. It was a way to achieve some scholarship money based on scores, a test run for the SAT and, yes, we all fled the state.

Old 08-04-2015, 02:49 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,742,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
I attended high school in Illinois. We referred to the ACT as the community college goal because that's what they required. It was a way to achieve some scholarship money based on scores, a test run for the SAT and, yes, we all fled the state.
Interesting because all the state schools including UofI required it back then. I'm sure that's all changed since then. And now we've even got some schools dumping the tests altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: