Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 939 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am moving from CT to Northern Dallas. I just got back from TX on a week trip trying to find a place. I was unsuccessful. I did not realize how ridiculously fast the real estate moves down there. I am trying to find a rental for the first year so i can find the right area to buy a home. I am currently selling my home in CT to move. I am having a hard time as I grew up in CT all my life. I am used to a certain life style per say. Quiet, upper class. Sounds snotty as hell putting it in writing but it is what it is. When I was down there last week, it was basically a giant concrete block. A spaghetti bowl of streets. I eventually made my way out to Denton/Highland village/Flower mound area, and that was a little better. I need to be in the northern Dallas region for my wife basically a 30 mile circle around Grapevine lake is a good estimate.

Am I missing something here or have I hit the mark on this area and it really actually is just a giant concrete block with some really low end towns mixed in with some High end towns(basically just new construction not really high end).

I drove some 600 miles all around in between Lake Lewisville and grapevine lake horizontally, I cant imagine I missed some hidden town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 08:19 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,259,038 times
Try Southlake or Keller. If that's not good enough, try Highland Park or University Park, the older money "bubble towns" inside Dallas. If that's not "high end" enough for you, stay in CT. Just curious, what part of CT are you from?

Last edited by thenewtexan; 08-01-2015 at 09:36 PM..

Old 08-01-2015, 08:40 PM

216 posts, read 280,427 times
Gorge yourself on cheap lobsters and good pizza during the rest of your duration in CT. I will say those are two things I miss most about CT.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:41 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golffffffffff View Post
Hello,
I am moving from CT to Northern Dallas. I just got back from TX on a week trip trying to find a place. I was unsuccessful. I did not realize how ridiculously fast the real estate moves down there. I am trying to find a rental for the first year so i can find the right area to buy a home. I am currently selling my home in CT to move. I am having a hard time as I grew up in CT all my life. I am used to a certain life style per say. Quiet, upper class. Sounds snotty as hell putting it in writing but it is what it is. When I was down there last week, it was basically a giant concrete block. A spaghetti bowl of streets. I eventually made my way out to Denton/Highland village/Flower mound area, and that was a little better. I need to be in the northern Dallas region for my wife basically a 30 mile circle around Grapevine lake is a good estimate.

Am I missing something here or have I hit the mark on this area and it really actually is just a giant concrete block with some really low end towns mixed in with some High end towns(basically just new construction not really high end).

I drove some 600 miles all around in between Lake Lewisville and grapevine lake horizontally, I cant imagine I missed some hidden town?
Highland Park and University Park are the old money/ classic architecture neighborhoods of Dallas. Outstanding public schools, very expensive and well-educated. HP is regularly listed with Greenwich CT as part of the top 10 wealthiest neighborhoods in the country.... lot sizes are much smaller in the Park Cities as compared to Greenwich. Many old Dallas families have lived here for the past century.

If you like the Greenwich country-lane type feel, Preston Hollow (Dallas proper neighborhood, would need private schools) fits the bill. Elite and secluded, home to multiple billionaires. Typical lot size ranges from 1/3 acre up to 10+ acres. Some larger estates still keep horses.

Neither of these areas are cheap ($1M will get you a starter cottage in HP/UP), but they are closest culturally to what you are leaving in CT.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:11 AM

468 posts, read 475,781 times
Well you may be able to enjoy those lovely, curvy, hilly ONE-LANE MAIN ST. roads in CT for a little longer at least. Real estate doesnt move too fast in CT. You guys are still stuck using Zillow, LOL. for the rest of the country.

Half the state of CT is trying to leave just like you. While many of my friends from CT, NY and NJ are already here.

Shoot, maybe its time to go back and pick up a steal on beautiful house on top of a hill just like the one i used to have.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:01 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Did you see west lake, south lake, colleyville, flower mound near the area you explored? Those qualify as higher end towns down here.

The terrain, weather and way we do things is different from back east. Prepare for change and being open minded about learning new things or you will not see the full positive potential living in a new area can bring you.

Examine why real estate is booming here and moves fairly fast. Could it be jobs? Some will tell you it's all about cheap land and incentives to get business bring jibs down here. I contend it's a lot more complicated than that. Business goes where they can thrive and are wanted, see if you agree or have a different theory.

Welcome to Texas if you decide to move.

Old 08-02-2015, 06:21 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
You do have to look hard to find the beauty here as compared to CT. But you will need to free yourself to broaden your concepts. If you are unwilling or unable to embrace "man made" communities, parks, waterways, etc., then you will not be able to make a home here.

I have struggled with this for decades but adapted and do find the energy, opportunities, and some areas exciting and dynamic. We take lots of vacations to natural beauty areas (just returned from Yellowstone) -- and due to the reasonable cost of living we can afford to -- and we have a high quality lifestyle here.

Last edited by WorldKlas; 08-02-2015 at 06:30 AM..

Old 08-03-2015, 01:41 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times
If you're moving to North Texas expecting to be asthetically stimulated by the architecture and landscape you'd better rethink this whole thing......

....and quick.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:18 PM

254 posts, read 522,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
If you're moving to North Texas expecting to be asthetically stimulated by the architecture and landscape you'd better rethink this whole thing......

....and quick.

Agreed, stop comparing the 2, they are total opposites. It's a much different way of life. We are spoiled in many ways in New England, you don't find this beauty anywhere. That said you have to deal with Snow and ridiculous prices on most things, not to mention all the far left loons.

If you don't go into a move like this open to change you will be very disappointed.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:20 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golffffffffff View Post
I am having a hard time as I grew up in CT all my life. I am used to a certain life style per say. Quiet, upper class. Sounds snotty as hell putting it in writing but it is what it is. When I was down there last week, it was basically a giant concrete block. A spaghetti bowl of streets. I eventually made my way out to Denton/Highland village/Flower mound area, and that was a little better. I need to be in the northern Dallas region for my wife basically a 30 mile circle around Grapevine lake is a good estimate.

I think you've missed the mark on every thing, including your own background. You're not from an upper-class area if you don't know how to recognize one. The "upper class" areas here are nowhere near where you're looking. They're between 1.5 and 6 miles north or north/northwest of downtown.

And it's "per se", not "per say", by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas