Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 09:12 AM

577 posts, read 456,801 times

Advertisements

Very sorry for your loss, but thank you for sharing. It's a great reminder to all of us that we should be mindful of what is important to us. For some of us, a nice house even with a long commute is the dream, but this is a good reminder that it doesn't have to be everyone's dream.

For a variety of reasons, it seems the younger generation is shifting away from the 'big mcmansion' dream anyway. I'm sure part of it is to be able to spend more time with loved ones, but I've noticed people in their 20s aren't saving up for a large house out in the 'burbs. Most of them are renting in the city or buying something much smaller in a denser area. I only see this trend increasing in the near future, which is a good thing, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 01:32 PM

450 posts, read 555,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Why do people think if their commute is shorter it makes much of a difference?

When I did have a short commute when I was single many years ago I plop on coach and watch some TV to unwind for one hour or so each night. Today I plop on train, watch netflix for one hour.
This should be titled:

Dallas born residents only: Buying your dream house and putting up with long commutes

People in Metroplex REFUSE the idea of driving longer than 20 minutes to their workplace. It is not even a thought in their minds.

Other metro areas would LOVE a commute under 1 hour each way. I did an hour in Chicago and I do an hour now. I get home literally 30 minutes after my wife does.

However, 2 hours each way or 4 hours a day is INSANE. 8AM to 5PM is really 6AM to 7PM. If you need 8 hours of sleep a day, you only have 2-3 hours a day to yourself.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:18 PM

207 posts, read 275,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs418 View Post
This should be titled:

Dallas born residents only: Buying your dream house and putting up with long commutes

People in Metroplex REFUSE the idea of driving longer than 20 minutes to their workplace. It is not even a thought in their minds.

Other metro areas would LOVE a commute under 1 hour each way.
You say this as if it is a bad thing and people in the Metroplex should be ashamed that we want a commute within 20 minutes and can actually find it in a lot of cases.

Always found this to be pretty interesting to see what kind of commutes people in the Metroplex have on average, as well as, the rest of the nation.
Average Commute Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas