Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2008, 03:25 PM

563 posts, read 3,738,144 times

Advertisements

My 6yo is a science nut and I've booked a birthday party for him at the museum of Nature and Science. Unfortunately, we've never visited (still fairly new to town) and the lady in charge of bookings isn't easy to get hold of and I'm still fairly confused about the whole thing!

First of all, has anyone done a birthday party at the Musem? Any advice? Any pitfalls to watch out for?

Secondly, as far as i understand, (and I know its very little) the museum doesn't do much besides let your guests in, provide a room and a party coordinator. I'm still a bit vague on if there are any games or entertainment provided. And what does the said party coordinator do??

And Third, does anyone have any ideas for experiments we can do at a Science party? My guess is that we can't have messy exploding volcanoes but so far all I've come up with is squooshing a boiled egg into a bottle using air pressure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 05:19 PM

2,231 posts, read 6,057,089 times
Technically, the "Museum of Nature and Science" is not a building, it is a nonprofit corporation that operates several museums, just as the Smithsonian Institution operates several museums.

The organization operates something called "the Museum of Natural History" and another museum called "The Science Place". It operates a planetarium in a third building. I believe it also operates "the Children's Museum". In addition, it is conducting a massive fundraising drive to build a science museum in the Victory Park area of downtown Dallas.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:32 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,422,299 times
My son went to a party at The Science Place when he was 5. It wasn't very good. He loves The Science Place and had been there many times before this party, but the party was lame. It was in a boring section and they did arts and crafts. My son hates arts and crafts. Also there was a big function at Fair Park that afternoon and we had to park about a mile away.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
My son went to a party at The Science Place when he was 5. It wasn't very good. He loves The Science Place and had been there many times before this party, but the party was lame. It was in a boring section and they did arts and crafts. My son hates arts and crafts. Also there was a big function at Fair Park that afternoon and we had to park about a mile away.
My son sounds a lot like yours. I specifically requested the party in the science building and was told that the Natural History building (where our party is to take place) has the physics lab, etc in it.

My son detests arts and crafts and it wasn't until the confirmation email that craft supplies were mentioned.

Frankly, I'd be happy to just take the room, plan my own experiments for the kids and then let them roam the museum. My kid does not thrive on big social gatherings where he is made the focus of things.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:09 PM

58 posts, read 221,850 times
We held my son's 4th birthday party there, and it was a big disappointment. As much as I like to support this local museum/science place, I think their parties and facilities are lacking.

We had a "Lights and Colors" party. The party facilitator tried to give a lecture to the room full of 4 year olds. It was, as one might imagine, a dismal failure. The instructor then "shushed' all the parents, as we were all chatting with one another. The kids did a few arts and crafts, but overall it was a pretty dull event.

The only other place we've done a party is Pump it Up,and that place was a lot of fun. Definitely less educationally focused, but it was great for the kiddos.

Vicki

Old 01-27-2008, 08:43 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,462,780 times
In the back of Dallas Child magazine, there are ads for Science b-day parties. Have you looked there?

Old 01-27-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
In the back of Dallas Child magazine, there are ads for Science b-day parties. Have you looked there?
no I haven't yet. I'll have a look at it asap. Thanks

Old 01-27-2008, 09:58 AM

709 posts, read 3,468,000 times
Mad Scientists offer great parties and will come to your place of choice. I almost used them but we had some last minute changes. My son loves this group as they came to his daycare last summer. He learned and had so much fun. They are in the Dallas Child Magazine. They provide party favors etc. for extra costs. I'd check them out in a heart beat. Matter of fact we are probably going to use them next year.
Isn't it a load of fun to plan that perfect birthday party?

Old 01-27-2008, 10:00 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,422,299 times
Oh, yeah, my son went to a party where they brought in a science person from the back of Child Magazine and he really enjoyed that party. It was close to home, it was hands on, and he came home with stuff like a bag of goo. He was a bit older though - 7ish.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:02 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,462,780 times
I've had great b-days from ads in the back of Dallas Child. Last year we hired the yellow firetruck that comes to your house and gives everyone a ride ...for my 4 yr old.

See if dfweverything.com has anything....I think they are part of Dallas Child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: