Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 08:25 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,525,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovetheAutumn View Post
Hi London!

It really depends on the person. Because there's such varying terrain and climate in the U.S., folks usually have a fair amount of options. A lot of times you'll see northeasterners retire to the south to escape the cold and winter. You'll find a fair amount of people from all over flock to Colorado because the outdoor living and scenery is amazing.

A lot of it boils down to the climate and pace of society they are looking for, and that tends to change as people age.
So they don't actually Leave the U.S.? That's what I was getting at for the reasons you just said in short the U.S. Has everything so your first post was shocking lol

But I have looked into Dallas my self at some point and I understand Plano is quite nice I had a look at the property market and you seem to get ALOT more for your £££ than say highland/university park so I'm sure your happy enough

Plus I believe Pamela Duarte Martin lives in Plano from reality TV show I'd love to bump into her feisty ain't the word right turn on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 08:32 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,633,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Only every single day.

I feel like I'm being pushed out of my own city. I was born and raised here.
How are you being pushed out? Are you talking about just that property taxes have increased?

Old 08-19-2015, 08:33 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
I hear you. We moved here in 2011 and liked the pace a lot more than we do now. We knew we'd relocate again someday to be closer to family, but we're now looking at doing that sooner rather than later. Just can't stand how crammed its gotten. Part of us really wanted to stay, but we know ourselves too well, and we just want a slower, quieter pace. We both work from home at this point, so we do have the freedom to go elsewhere. It's also nice to know we'll get a chunk of change for our house that we can take with us and put down on the next house somewhere else.
I've always enjoyed smaller cities more than larger ones. The biggest city I ever lived in was Paris and while I found it less stressful in many ways than DFW it was still too crowded, noisy, polluted, and expensive for my tastes. It was less stressful mainly because I didn't have to drive anywhere (didn't even own a car) and I worked only 35 hours a week (like most French people).

I was born here in the 70s and graduated high school in the early 90s so I saw a lot of growth over my lifetime, but I have vivid memories of the Dallas North Tollway ending at Frankford. I spent most of my adult life outside of DFW. I rarely even visited. People visited me instead because I was living in "exciting" or "sexy" places. When I got back, I was not pleased with all the changes. I didn't even intend to stay here long-term, it just sort of...happened.

Now I own a house and am getting remarried next month, so I'm pretty tied-down here to the area. Luckily my fiance is very open to the idea of leaving north Texas in the future. We'll get out of here someday. For now, family obligations keep us here. But those obligations won't last forever.

Being able to work from home would help a LOT. Especially since I wouldn't have to listen to my sexist sociopath coworkers all day long in this hellish open plan office.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
How are you being pushed out? Are you talking about just that property taxes have increased?
Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnno.

There's way more to it than that. It'd take a while to explain it. And you might not like what I have to say. People who get it, get it. People who don't...not worth explaining it. Sorry.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:55 AM

7,890 posts, read 11,408,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
No, DFW is one of the biggest metroplexes in the US. OKC is most definitely a city, albeit a smaller one. But definitely not a town. Have you ever spent significant time there?

Oh come on now...Tornadoes? I do agree that OKC has a very energy dependent economy, but I'd hardly say it is stagnating. OKC has had tremendous growth in the past 10 years and have done a great job of revitalizing the city. Their MAPS projects are awesome. Every time I go back to Norman, I'm amazed at how much has changed.
Okc has more tornados than dfw is my point, try to tell my brother who lives in Norman otherwise if you think so.

Old 08-19-2015, 09:38 AM

16 posts, read 29,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnno.

There's way more to it than that. It'd take a while to explain it. And you might not like what I have to say. People who get it, get it. People who don't...not worth explaining it. Sorry.
Between this and your comment on a hellish open-office plan, I gotta say....BigD, you are my spirit animal. You sound exactly like my husband and me!

Old 08-19-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Between this and your comment on a hellish open-office plan, I gotta say....BigD, you are my spirit animal. You sound exactly like my husband and me!
We should hang out!

Old 08-19-2015, 01:04 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,881 times
Quote:
Okc has more tornados than dfw is my point, try to tell my brother who lives in Norman otherwise if you think so.
Yes, they have more tornadoes. Not enough more than DFW to eliminate the whole of OKC, though! But there are threads and threads about this

Old 08-19-2015, 02:51 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,408,992 times
I've lived in smaller cities and 23 years in Oklahoma. My experience is live in a smaller OKC with more tornados and a more energy industry dependent economy is not appealing as living here. The climate is not better with colder windy winters and hot summers. We all understand for your values the answer differs. So what.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:19 PM

692 posts, read 855,382 times
I remember when there was space between DFW's cities. I liked that. Now it's just a gigantic hive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas