Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 04:33 PM

216 posts, read 343,821 times

Advertisements

seeing what you found out - yes - I think you are completely right and it is time to move on. Thank goodness you were able to get that info. That's scary rowdy - not 'fun' rowdy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 07:29 PM

374 posts, read 548,646 times
After learning what you shared, I would DEFINITELY move on!!

Old 08-20-2015, 04:49 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,389,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DooDeeMan View Post
No one was there. Would this sudden new turn of events make you think twice about the neighborhood and house? Or would you just chalk it up to "every neighborhood has its weirdos" type of mentality? Opinions?
I would think twice, but I would also try to find out if they are renters or owners and how long they have been there. Owners are more likely to be long term than renters and that goes double for long term owners. Then, I would learn as much as I could about them and classify their apparent "habits" and "hobbies" into two categories:

A. mildly annoying (poor lawn care, occasional parties)
B. fundamental quality of life issues (constant parties with loud music- espescially if it is not country music, police calls, criminally inclined "friends and relatives" on long term visits etc.)

If the "B"s out numbered the "A"s and they are there long term, I would pass.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:49 PM

59 posts, read 126,767 times
Quote:
So we have a police officer family member who looked this issue up for us. He was able to pull up a crime report for that whole street and the Rowdy Neighbor house.

Looks like there are people who live at Rowdy house on probation for theft and previous possession, and the house gets frequent police calls every MONTH due to noise and disturbances. The teenagers in the house have had run ins with the police as well.

We are moving on and looking for the next house.
I wonder how many laws the police officer family member violated by giving you that information? But who knows, maybe that's not illegal after all. In my opinion, it should be.

Having said that, I'd look elsewhere. Life is too short to put up with drama that is not of your own making when you could just as easily avoid it.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:50 AM

19 posts, read 22,952 times
Yes

Old 08-23-2015, 08:33 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
So we have a police officer family member who looked this issue up for us. He was able to pull up a crime report for that whole street and the Rowdy Neighbor house.

Looks like there are people who live at Rowdy house on probation for theft and previous possession, and the house gets frequent police calls every MONTH due to noise and disturbances. The teenagers in the house have had run ins with the police as well.

We are moving on and looking for the next house.
We owned home in Bedford neighborhood for years--original owners. The house across the street from ours had several owners...one turned the original garage into living space--HOA couldn't prohibit the zoning change because technically we had a voluntary HOA--neighborhood built before HOAs were mandated by state for one of our size...
Second owner built new garage and had to get zoning request because of side/width variance.
Most of us felt that was more desireable than seeing cars parked on the slab all the time.
That owner also put in pool and started having lot of loud parties. Even had parties outside in cooler weather. Police called on numerous occasions. The owner was male who apparently came out later in life. Lived there with his partner and two older sons--late teens early 20's. The sons would have large sleep-over parties where cars would be parked up and down the street for the entire weekend (illegal to park 24hrs straight) when neighbors would call about loud noise going on at 2AM and police rolled out, the people would throw trash in neighbors' back yards.
One or maybe both sons sold dope--was finally caught by police.
The HOA put on full court press to make their lives miserable because they were doing the same to the neighborhood. They finally sold house.

So we thought we were off the hook--but people who bought ran a roofing company...
started working out of the house...against city ordinances...would park roofing truck in driveway...had guys coming by in their trucks to collect their checks...finally put enough pressure (and they had couple of very profitable years due to hail storms) that they sold/moved...and into a neighborhood with much more strict HOA.

Current owner nurse and her husband--she works at local elementary school--great people...
I think some houses are just prone to draw owners that are problamatic...

If you know ahead of time that some neighbors are notmyourmcup of tea, then look for another home...

Old 06-19-2016, 10:49 AM

354 posts, read 711,874 times
The OP saw the neighbors 1x and 1x only. In the OPs eyes, they were 'loud' and/or rowdy on that one afternoon. If the OP wants to get all excited about that, he doesn't have to move to that neighborhood, but I would withhold judgement based on only 1 encounter. Everyone is not always on their best behavior all the time especially when at home on a weekend etc. who knows, these folks may ordinarily be at church 6 days a week and running their lives like its a funeral every day. Simply can not judge based on one encounter. And as for 'looking trashy' who knows what that means to the op. Maybe they were wearing Levis instead of True Religions? Perhaps the female members of the aforementioned folks did not have their hair perfectly coifed? Ugh.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:10 AM

1,032 posts, read 874,442 times
Frankly, I would have attempted to vet this before getting so far into the buying process.

Neighbors make or break your experience in a neighborhood: They also can increase overall value or decrease it, depending. Does this area have a strong association in the event these yokels start parking cars in their grass or doing others things that might affect the overall quality of the street?

Old 06-19-2016, 01:46 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,168 times
It helps to know if they are renters or owners. Owners you are pretty well stuck with. Renters tend to move on after a while or you can keep bugging the landlord about his rowdy renters to try to get them to do something.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:44 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,659,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayalevi View Post
The OP saw the neighbors 1x and 1x only. In the OPs eyes, they were 'loud' and/or rowdy on that one afternoon. If the OP wants to get all excited about that, he doesn't have to move to that neighborhood, but I would withhold judgement based on only 1 encounter. Everyone is not always on their best behavior all the time especially when at home on a weekend etc. who knows, these folks may ordinarily be at church 6 days a week and running their lives like its a funeral every day. Simply can not judge based on one encounter. And as for 'looking trashy' who knows what that means to the op. Maybe they were wearing Levis instead of True Religions? Perhaps the female members of the aforementioned folks did not have their hair perfectly coifed? Ugh.
You did see the post about the crime stuff to?
Also, old thread. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas