Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 08:32 PM

6 posts, read 8,046 times

Advertisements

We are currently in contract to get a house, in a nice subdivision, nice neighborhood. Very nice houses, so on. However, today for the first time we saw the neighbors across the street outside. They were speaking loud (rowdy loud, not just loud), looked trashy, and just overall did not seem to fit in with the neighborhood. I understand that people from ALL classes and walks of life can be anywhere, but this was a bit of a negative in my eyes. I haven't seen many other people walking around the street every time we've been by. We went back again a second time today just to see what Saturday evening life was like. No one was there. Would this sudden new turn of events make you think twice about the neighborhood and house? Or would you just chalk it up to "every neighborhood has its weirdos" type of mentality? Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 08:52 PM

504 posts, read 798,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DooDeeMan View Post
We are currently in contract to get a house, in a nice subdivision, nice neighborhood. Very nice houses, so on. However, today for the first time we saw the neighbors across the street outside. They were speaking loud (rowdy loud, not just loud), looked trashy, and just overall did not seem to fit in with the neighborhood. I understand that people from ALL classes and walks of life can be anywhere, but this was a bit of a negative in my eyes. I haven't seen many other people walking around the street every time we've been by. We went back again a second time today just to see what Saturday evening life was like. No one was there. Would this sudden new turn of events make you think twice about the neighborhood and house? Or would you just chalk it up to "every neighborhood has its weirdos" type of mentality? Opinions?
Are you for real? Is it a troll post?

Old 08-15-2015, 09:11 PM

6 posts, read 8,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasMan_72 View Post
Are you for real? Is it a troll post?
Why is this such a surreal question? Do bad neighbors not affect the resale value of a house later on?

Old 08-15-2015, 10:33 PM

162 posts, read 194,197 times
Why don't you walk over and introduce yourself saying you are thinking to buy the house across the street and see how the conversation goes...maybe it turns out those loud people were just fine after all. Since you are making a big financial decision and if this bothers you, it would never hurt to try.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:42 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,368,476 times
Everyone is different, my home is my retreat and I am not going to be at peace if I have a bunch of loud annoying neighbors around. It would be enough to make me walk away if they bothered me.

Old 08-16-2015, 02:27 AM

468 posts, read 471,076 times
thats nothing, read this one about trying to sell house with a loud puerto rican neighbor next door, lol

//www.city-data.com/forum/real-...per-class.html

Old 08-16-2015, 07:52 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,022,551 times
I always try to meet the neighbors before I buy. Our last house, we met our neighbor across the street, and we became friends with him and his family. Never really even saw our next door neighbors in 4 years. A little bizarre, but the worst thing they did was being somewhat lax on yard maintenance.

Our current house, we met the neighbors after we bought. It seems the previous owners were universally hated by everyone around them, so everyone came over and brought cookies, cake, etc, after we moved in. Don't have too much contact with our current neighbors, and they are all about 15-20 years older, but we get along fine.

We got such a good deal on our house, that we would have purchased no matter who lived near us, but sometimes, it's just not worth buying a home where you know you're going to have issues with a neighbor.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:12 AM

387 posts, read 551,235 times
We looked at a house in a previous area, but then realized that a fraternity was located 2 doors down, and that definitely crossed it off the list for us. This isn't a particularly big party school, but there have been plenty of cases of drunken kids filing past at all hours down the street, and with no air condition in the homes you need to sleep with the windows open when it is warm. Also lots of parties in the back yard with music and beer pong etc - they aren't acting poorly, just loud and having fun, but could be overwhelming after a while, especially if one of you works from home (my husband).

Well, you get the idea. It was enough to make us just feel like we didn't want to deal with the issue.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:19 AM

50,125 posts, read 63,531,418 times
Not sure where OP is coming from. It could be he's had very narrow experiences with different types of people, or it could be the people are truly awful. The only way to find out before its too late is to ask the neighbors.

Let's say I moved across the street from folks who were in the habit of sacrificing a goat in the back yard and having a big loud BBQ with it. I would find it very off putting, but if they invited me I'd go, and maybe I'd have a good time.

Old 08-16-2015, 10:58 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,808,607 times
well to answer your topic's question - yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas