Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 01:11 PM

5,263 posts, read 6,399,224 times

Advertisements

I've never noticed that music is all that different between DFW, NYC, and Miami, or anywhere else, but what music genre are you looking for?

In fact, I have a game I play as I travel from city to city, and in 1 hour, I expect to hear on the rock station Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sublime, and Nirvana, and on the classic rock station, Aerosmith, the Eagles, the Rolling Stones, and Queen, and no city has failed this test yet. Portland is the only one that came close. They played the Foo Fighers instead of Nirvana in their hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 01:25 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I've never noticed that music is all that different between DFW, NYC, and Miami, or anywhere else, but what music genre are you looking for?

In fact, I have a game I play as I travel from city to city, and in 1 hour, I expect to hear on the rock station Red Hot Chili Peppers, Sublime, and Nirvana, and on the classic rock station, Aerosmith, the Eagles, the Rolling Stones, and Queen, and no city has failed this test yet. Portland is the only one that came close. They played the Foo Fighers instead of Nirvana in their hour.

I haven't noticed it to be different, either (I travel extensively). That's why I take their comments 'tongue in cheek' as a way to rib me (because I REALLY dislike country music). That said, I do notice a lot of country music when I've been in restaurants and such in the area.

Old 08-17-2015, 01:39 PM

164 posts, read 252,562 times
Before I moved to Dallas, I was told to brush up on my propane/propane accessory knowledge and that half the people I met would be carrying a gun on their belt. Truth is Dallas is probably one of the least "Texan" cities in the state. Fort Worth definitely has more of that vibe. Dallas is basically a business/commerce city with most of what you would find in the largest cities in the US. It's more cosmopolitan (and less equine) than most people outside of Texas give it credit for. The music scene is pretty eclectic and varied and you can find pretty much anything you might be into live if you look around.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingInRichardson View Post
Before I moved to Dallas, I was told to brush up on my propane/propane accessory knowledge and that half the people I met would be carrying a gun on their belt. Truth is Dallas is probably one of the least "Texan" cities in the state. Fort Worth definitely has more of that vibe. Dallas is basically a business/commerce city with most of what you would find in the largest cities in the US. It's more cosmopolitan (and less equine) than most people outside of Texas give it credit for. The music scene is pretty eclectic and varied and you can find pretty much anything you might be into live if you look around.
This is good to hear! Thanks for the feedback.

Old 08-17-2015, 02:27 PM

506 posts, read 2,148,653 times
I'm rolling my eyes at this post. Seriously? Maybe a relo to DFW isn't the best thing if you know nothing about the area.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt2le View Post
I'm rolling my eyes at this post. Seriously? Maybe a relo to DFW isn't the best thing if you know nothing about the area.
Please read the thread. I mentioned it was 'tongue-in-cheek' early on, and friends are having fun 'teasing' me about it. Again, it's nice to see people are so 'welcoming' - lol.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:18 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,169,500 times
The DFW area is pretty diverse musically but it is lacking in terms of jazz, world and non-Mexican Latin music, like Brazilian (especially when compared to New York, LA, SF, Montreal, Miami, etc.) The great Brazilian singer-songwriter Gilberto Gil played Verizon Amphitheatre a few years back and there couldn't have been more than 500-750 people in a venue that seats up to 6000. He hasn't been back since. One upside: I've never had easier parking there.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:50 PM

216 posts, read 343,821 times
Oh lawdy - no - not doomed. I HATE Country - like hate, hate. Now - if you hated hipsters - might be a little harder. *joke*. But no seriously - it is so not a country place. Ft Worth - probably - Dallas - no.

Old 08-17-2015, 04:36 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
My husband is a life-long Dallasite and practically vomits when he hears country - especially "bro country." You'll be fine here, chill out. There is really not a lot "country" left in Dallas. We're a shiny new sunbelt city. Fort Worth & West Texas is where the Cowboys roam.

Old 08-17-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
My husband is a life-long Dallasite and practically vomits when he hears country - .

lol - I can relate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas