Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 01:53 PM

764 posts, read 1,656,770 times

Advertisements

Funny, most of the Libertarian parents I've met in Dallas are in the anti-vaccine camp (and there's a good chunk of libertarians in the metroplex). I wouldn't have thought there was such group in Texas as I mostly associated the anti-vaccine parents being in the ultra-liberal San Fran. And while they aren't really into the asian herbs/acupuncture medicine, they do tend toward homeopathic medicine and avoid antibiotics if at all possible. I suppose it's a general distrust of Big Government and Big Pharma. I really hope you can find a doctor to work with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 02:15 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,083 times
The lady is just looking for a pediatrician. Give her some recs and move on.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:05 PM

203 posts, read 271,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
The lady is just looking for a pediatrician. Give her some recs and move on.
Thank you!

Old 08-24-2015, 03:48 PM

25 posts, read 54,125 times
Default Let the sheep be them

There is a silent majority questioning the CDC driven vaccination schedule. Lot of low information folks just label anyone who even sniff to question the schedule, let alone the vaccination itself. Its an easy ploy, call them names and tell them they are ignorant.

I am one of those who believe the vaccinations are important but it has a flawed delivery mechanism - both schedule and ingredient wise. And this is not coming from just reading headlines or watching news clips nor I am saying due to any religious beliefs. This is a understanding that myself and many of my friends who are respected medical practitioners have come to. My kids are being vaccinated, but on my schedule and my picking. And yes, there are plenty of pediatricians in this area who respect that and work with you in flexing it over months and years.

BTW, Dr. Malini Hebbur will be an excellent choice.

Following is my least important argument:

I would respectfully ask anyone to name one medication/vaccination without side-effects. And if there is an agreement there is a minimal percentage risk, but of a severe reaction, most of the medication you come across is just consumed by a small percentage of population. Out of that, a small percentage of side-effect scenarios will result in 'negligible' number of total case studies and sarcasm is very much intended.

Now with vaccination where every new birth is subjected to (about 4 million a year just in US), it is a mind blowing number even with a negligible percentage.

I did not want my child to be a statistic, unfortunately the lucky parents who don't live through the pain never are bothered to question and educate themselves and happily call others names

Quote:
Originally Posted by deenie1 View Post
This has been a heated topic for years and not right now. I didn't mean to start a debate and I certainly don't think that broaching the topic should start one. I am definitely not anti-vaccine. My children are up to date with their vaccinations unless a blood titer shows current immunity. When my son's bloodwork showed marginal immunity and my last pediatrician recommended I re-test in a year since it he might not be protected at that time, I had him get the vaccine immediately. FWIW, he was a well-regarded pediatrician who was very old school but also worked with me on spacing out vaccines, if possible. I don't ever want to put my child's health at risk or take the chance that they would cause another child to become ill. However, I will do my research and ask questions. It would be a lot easier to just do what a licensed professional says but they're human and make mistakes too. I also don't think that a big governing body like the CDC has my children's best interests in mind.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:54 PM

379 posts, read 366,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sericrafter View Post
There is a silent majority questioning the CDC driven vaccination schedule. Lot of low information folks just label anyone who even sniff to question the schedule, let alone the vaccination itself. Its an easy ploy, call them names and tell them they are ignorant.

I am one of those who believe the vaccinations are important but it has a flawed delivery mechanism - both schedule and ingredient wise. And this is not coming from just reading headlines or watching news clips nor I am saying due to any religious beliefs. This is a understanding that myself and many of my friends who are respected medical practitioners have come to. My kids are being vaccinated, but on my schedule and my picking. And yes, there are plenty of pediatricians in this area who respect that and work with you in flexing it over months and years.

I would respectfully ask anyone to name one medication/vaccination without side-effects. And if there is an agreement there is a minimal percentage risk, but of a severe reaction, most of the medication you come across is just consumed by a small percentage of population. Out of that, a small percentage of side-effect scenarios will result in 'negligible' number of total case studies and sarcasm is very much intended.

Now with vaccination where every new birth is subjected to (about 4 million a year just in US), it is a mind blowing number even with a negligible percentage.

I did not want my child to be a statistic, unfortunately the lucky parents who don't live through the pain never are bothered to question and educate themselves and happily call others names
Your child will be a statistic when they die from preventable disease. Your neighbor's child will be a statistic when THEY DIE from YOUR NEGLIGENCE when herd immunity breaks down.

You claim the schedule and ingredients cause harm. Where's the proof? Where's the studies? Who are all these children you claim are harmed by vaccines? Cause we're having a resurgence of measles - anyone can find the names of those children. Where's your evidence?

Old 08-25-2015, 08:38 AM

19,782 posts, read 18,073,660 times
Quote:

Silent majority my ear. You are in a very vocal tiny minority of mis-educated people who believe you are smarter than the overwhelming majority of doctors and medical researchers.

So you are a respected medical practitioner?

VAERS data indicates that in The US there are roughly 400/600 serious vaccine interactions each year. That's hardly mind-blowing to anyone with a reasonable grip over statistics.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Silent majority my ear. You are in a very vocal tiny minority of mis-educated people who believe you are smarter than the overwhelming majority of doctors and medical researchers.

So you are a respected medical practitioner?

VAERS data indicates that in The US there are roughly 400/600 serious vaccine interactions each year. That's hardly mind-blowing to anyone with a reasonable grip over statistics.
To start with, did you even read my post or as I summarized jumped on to name calling! My kids are vaccinated, but not by shooting them with 4, some times 6 different ones in a visit or along unrealistic schedule, loading them up with anything and everything. If you know any doctors personally, try if you can get them to honestly reveal how they do with their family, you might be horridly surprised. Or wait for your kid to be one and see how it goes with your grand kids.

My child is already a statistic. Ignorant arrogance in folks like yourself will lead to many more. These are the same sheep that claim humane kindness to people crossing over from south with absolutely no vaccination and many live carriers spreading diseases. If anyone is worried about their child contracting anything, that will be your source. <<Hijack alert: PC cops about to jump on this now!!>>

I have nothing to prove or mend with you. My response was to the OP and reaffirming there are many people, yes, even in medical community who support and follow this.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f4shionablecha0s View Post
Your child will be a statistic when they die from preventable disease. Your neighbor's child will be a statistic when THEY DIE from YOUR NEGLIGENCE when herd immunity breaks down.

You claim the schedule and ingredients cause harm. Where's the proof? Where's the studies? Who are all these children you claim are harmed by vaccines? Cause we're having a resurgence of measles - anyone can find the names of those children. Where's your evidence?

Ignorance is bliss There is a lot of that cool aid going down there!

There is a difference: anti-vaccination vs anti-CDC/flex-schedule. Seems like it is getting very difficult to analyze that easy thought, may be a little too complicated for a simple mind.

Old 08-25-2015, 10:41 AM

122 posts, read 162,988 times
Quote:

There is a difference: anti-vaccination vs anti-CDC/flex-schedule. Seems like it is getting very difficult to analyze that easy thought, may be a little too complicated for a simple mind.
Nothing like attacking people for being low information while offering no supporting evidence to back your position.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:15 PM

203 posts, read 271,402 times
Quote:

I wish this thread would be removed. This has gotten way out of hand and just plain nasty. This was never my intent. I did NOT want a "holistic" Dr. who would encourage me not to vaccinate my children when vaccines are credited with eliminating many horrific diseases. I just don't trust the CDC to make medical decisions in a one size, fits all manner. I'm not a doctor, but I also feel that questioning something that makes me feel uneasy, isn't wrong. My kids are vaccinated...up to date also - period! I agree that doctors are in a tough position when patients don't listen to reason and think they know it all. Still, I'm hoping the first thing doctors learn is - do no harm. I am sure most of them adopt that precept but it is easy to lose sight of that when patients come in expecting to leave with an Rx in hand. All medications have side effects but hopefully very few will suffer from them. I think it's inexcusable to be throwing out insults to people on this board who make up that small, infinitesimal percentage though. Unless you've walked in their shoes...

Our society has gotten so conditioned to taking a pill for this or that but it comes at a cost. When I put on the news while my kids are getting ready for school (the ONLY TV I watch all day, contrary to what some may think), in that hour, there are countless commercials for medications. When you listen to the side effects, it's amazing that anyone would ask for them unless absolutely necessary. But they do! People are looking for a quick fix and that's not always the answer. I can't help but have a healthy dose of cynicism for the role these big pharma companies have on the medical community and what they prescribe. I don't think it's a bad thing to question what goes in my body and that of my family.

That's all I wanted...but this post just garnered a lot of malicious responses instead. It's really a shame because I've gotten a lot of valuable information over the last couple of years leading to our move to the Dallas area. Luckily, this mean-spiritedness hasn't been our personal experience now that we're here, but I have found this thread to be very disheartening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas