Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2008, 12:02 PM

36 posts, read 150,890 times

Advertisements

I am wondering how much someone needs to make down in the Dallas area on average to afford a $250,000 home with taxes, etc. I would be coming from the IL/WI area and I know that it seems like we make more here but the houses are expensive here. Also when it says a house is 3,000 square feet does that include the basements?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 12:06 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmtl2 View Post
I am wondering how much someone needs to make down in the Dallas area on average to afford a $250,000 home with taxes, etc. I would be coming from the IL/WI area and I know that it seems like we make more here but the houses are expensive here. Also when it says a house is 3,000 square feet does that include the basements?
We don't have basements. There are a FEW that do but it is by far NOT THE NORM. As for the square footage listed on MLS, that is for "living space" and does not include the garage or in enclosed porch. Only if the area is "improved" w/ heat and a/c does it count.

As for the income needed for a $250K home there is more that goes into it than just ones income. Their debt ratio plays a big part too.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:07 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,249,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmtl2 View Post
There are no basements in about 99% of the homes in North Texas because the soil here cannot support it.

The square footage that you see advertised should be the living space only. Garages are not included.

Some builders advertise the garage included but they refer to it as "the building plan" you have to look at the fine print and breakdown.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:24 PM

415 posts, read 1,717,875 times
For 100% financing, very roughly count on a monthly payment of 1%. So, a $250,000 house would be $2,500/month. That will cover PITI, but not utilities or repairs.

How much you need to make to be able to 'afford' that is up to the rest of your spending habits. If you have two luxury car payments and eat out all the time, you'll need more than if your cars are paid off and you like rice and beans.

Both Illinois and Wisconsin have state income tax, which can be hefty. However, your federal tax may go up because you don't have it to deduct.

Gas is cheaper here most of the times, by 10-15 cents (unless you get gas in Chicago, then it's at least twice that). Sales tax is 8.25% in metropolitan areas. I believe Chicago is higher (9%?) but Wisconsin much cheaper (somewhere in 6% range?).

I've seen different things with utilities. We actually have a lower electric bill down here, but a 30 year newer house. A lot of places down here will have electric heat, which adds up quick, but you won't need it nearly as much as up there.

Food seems about the same to me, in that I spend roughly the same amount a month. For individual items, though, I don't know.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:27 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,684,683 times
Since this is important, you will need to do quantitative calculations. Most of these can be done for free. Go to Compare Mortgage Rates | CD Rates | Home Equity Loans Mortgages Quotes Best Rate Calculator Bankrate.com and find out the current interest rates in your area, the amount of house you can afford etc. Else, people will only be able to help you with qualitative stuff which may not reflect your personal situation at all.
Good luck!

Old 01-26-2008, 08:48 PM

36 posts, read 150,890 times
We would be looking for a house with hopefully at least 1/3 acre in an area with good schools. In WI here for our 2,000sq ft house we pay $4,000 in taxes. How does that compare to TX? I am trying to figure out TX or North Carolina! It's hard

Old 01-26-2008, 09:18 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,249,908 times
Where will you be commuting to in Dallas? that would help narrow down areas to recommend to you. Taxes here are based on the tax assessed value of the property. The tax rate varies between 1.75 and 2.9.

As you probably know, we don't have state income tax here but as you see our taxes are higher than the rest of the country which is better than a wash. So let's say in Plano a house with 2000 SF tax assessed at 130K, the taxes would be $3100.

We also have homestead exemptions here which would make your payment even lower. Not sure if you have it in WI. [MOD CUT]

Naima

Last edited by da jammer; 01-26-2008 at 10:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: