Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 02:34 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Several of my friends have had success hiring SMU and DBU girls off care.com to fill these hours. $10-15/hour range.
Thanks for the info. That seems much more reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 02:42 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
Does your neighborhood have a Facebook page? You could post there that you're looking for a high school kid to watch your two little ones for 3 hours each day. They might want the added income. High School doesn't get out by 2:30, so you'll need one that has early release capabilities. Some schools offer that.

You might also find a "grandma" type person who is an empty nester and willing to watch your kids for that short period. Tons of people on my areas FB site are always excepting of small jobs like that for extra cash.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:50 PM

8,135 posts, read 3,674,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
I think the only issue we're going to have is that our kids are 2 and 3, and most of these after school programs cater to school aged children. We're in a peculiar situation. My wife is a nanny and made a deal with her boss to allow her to take our kids to work with her. Unfortunately after some time, the boss has changed her mind and now wants my kids out of their house once their 7 year old gets out of school. We're trying to find something that allows us to drop the kids off from 2:30-5:30 Tuesday-Friday as a result. My wife only brings home $550 a week, and full-time day cares around the area charge 200+ a week per kid. At that rate, there is really no reason for her to work. We're just trying to look for something a little more reasonable.

*I'll definitely be give those places a call to see if they offer the same "packages" for our kids. Thank you!

I didn't realize they are not school age. In your particular situation, the hourly places might be a reasonable way to go, but I'm not familiar with what is available in your area. The one I know (but it is Plano) is around $13 per hour or so for two kids

Old 08-25-2015, 03:33 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,881 times
Yeah, I'd suggest a neighborhood facebook page too--the one for Coppell is awesome, but I don't know if North Dallas has anything similar. You may have luck with Care.com? If you are part of a church community, that can be a good place to start as well.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:50 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
Yeah, I'd suggest a neighborhood facebook page too--the one for Coppell is awesome, but I don't know if North Dallas has anything similar. You may have luck with Care.com? If you are part of a church community, that can be a good place to start as well.
I just posted on our Nextdoor.com page. Hopefully we get some leads there. Thanks again everyone for the information and insight!

Old 08-25-2015, 03:51 PM

792 posts, read 1,222,362 times
You might also check with local preschools near you to see if any teachers want extra hours. UPUMC lets out at 2pm. Not sure on hours of others near you, but there are many nearby preschools - st michaels, HPUMC, HPPDS, Wesley Prep, to name a few.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:12 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,535,179 times
I think you'll have better luck w/ a grandma type. My friend pays $15/ hr to hers and she requires 4 hr shifts to take the job ($60/min), but given yalls situation I imagine you could find someone willing to work w/ you on price since it is regular hours. The HS girls you want babysitting your kids will be in school/activities during that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas