Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 11:45 AM

203 posts, read 271,355 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for someone who knows his/her stuff but doesn't over-medicate, over-vaccinate or order a million tests. I definitely want every option explored if something is wrong with my children but sometimes Drs run every test imaginable (CYO) instead of relying on their own knowledge and experience.

I'm also not anti-vaccine by any means and my kids receive regular vaccines but I don't get them something if they don't need it (if their titers show immunity). The same goes with medication. If I can hold off on antibiotics for an ear infection but treat the pain with Rx drops, I'd rather do that to see if it goes away. Tests and medication have their place but I like a physician who is open to treating conservatively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 12:02 PM

262 posts, read 468,654 times
Dr. Scott Katz in Plano Pediatrics right next to the Medical Center of Plano. Highly recommended.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:21 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,064,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseball123 View Post
Dr. Scott Katz in Plano Pediatrics right next to the Medical Center of Plano. Highly recommended.
Dr. Katz has a great reputation.

I can also recommend Dr. Norman Minsky, although I'm not sure Norman is accepting new patients.

Dr. Michael Frank at Willow Bend Pediatrics is great doc and a good friend. I believe he is accepting new patients - he's also the probably the smartest person I've ever met.

Norman and Michael are both conservative in approach.

Old 08-20-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseball123 View Post

Thanks so much but I read that he refuses to treat children that don't adhere to a vaccine schedule. Like I said, I'm not anti-vaccine but I think the CDC rec's are over the top and I like a more conservative approach with that and medication. Have you had a different experience with him?

Old 08-20-2015, 01:18 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,064,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deenie1 View Post
Thanks so much but I read that he refuses to treat children that don't adhere to a vaccine schedule. Like I said, I'm not anti-vaccine but I think the CDC rec's are over the top and I like a more conservative approach with that and medication. Have you had a different experience with him?
Forget what I said. What you are talking about is not conservative. You are pretending you know more about immunology than the great preponderance of public health experts.

Very few excellent docs are going to go along with your plan. Neither Dr. Minsky or Dr. Frank will for examples.

Conservative is one thing. Skipping important immunization because you saw something on a TV show is not going to fly with most docs.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Forget what I said. What you are talking about is not conservative. You are pretending you know more about immunology than the great preponderance of public health experts.

Very few excellent docs are going to go along with your plan. Neither Dr. Minsky or Dr. Frank will for examples.

Conservative is one thing. Skipping important immunization because you saw something on a TV show is not going to fly with most docs.
First of all, I hardly ever watch TV and certainly wouldn't get vital medical advice from that source. I am one to question the recommendations of an organization like the CDC because I don't believe that they can issue a one size fits all vaccine schedule that is right for every person. Everyone is different, medication (including vaccines) all have side effects and I that's why I go to a physician for my information. How many times has the CDC approved a drugs and then pulled it or issued black box warning labels after the fact? I actually read the pamphlets that come with prescribed drugs and ask pertinent questions, if necessary. A good Dr. isn't afraid to explain why sometimes the benefits outweigh the risks or vice versa. I'm not a Dr. and don't pretend to be, but I am an educated mother who is looking for the best for her children.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:44 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,556,121 times
If you are talking about spacing them out between more appointments, most pediatricians wont have a problem--though you will have to pay out of pocket for additional appointments (wont be considered well exams that are free under insurance plans). We typically do 2 an appointment and schedule extra appointments to make up the rest. We also delayed the Hep B shot at birth until 1 month and our ped had no problem with that. It's the drastically different stuff/skipping a lot that might cause you to butt up against a doctor.

Dr. Bain in Frisco will probably come up, but from what I've heard of her, she is kinda on the other end of the spectrum and hard to get into.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:28 PM

205 posts, read 279,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deenie1 View Post
First of all, I hardly ever watch TV and certainly wouldn't get vital medical advice from that source. I am one to question the recommendations of an organization like the CDC because I don't believe that they can issue a one size fits all vaccine schedule that is right for every person. Everyone is different, medication (including vaccines) all have side effects and I that's why I go to a physician for my information. How many times has the CDC approved a drugs and then pulled it or issued black box warning labels after the fact? I actually read the pamphlets that come with prescribed drugs and ask pertinent questions, if necessary. A good Dr. isn't afraid to explain why sometimes the benefits outweigh the risks or vice versa. I'm not a Dr. and don't pretend to be, but I am an educated mother who is looking for the best for her children.
well the alternative is always this "doctor"

http://i.imgur.com/3or6x7z.png

Old 08-20-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kretsch View Post
well the alternative is always this "doctor"

http://i.imgur.com/3or6x7z.png

I don't understand why this post has turn mean-spirited. We're new in town and I've previouslyfound this board to be a great source of information over the last couple of years before our move. I also have noticed that sometimes it gets nasty but I never thought that I'd be on the receiving end and that respectfully asking for recommendations would prompt this response. I don't go to a chiropractor for my medical advice but I also don't blindly take information from anyone with the initials MD after their name. There are good doctors and bad. I'm sorry I asked.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:48 PM

35 posts, read 44,358 times
Malini hebbur from village paediatrics. I believe she was rated top 10 paediatric doctors in Dallas by some magazine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas