Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 08:32 PM

468 posts, read 475,025 times

Advertisements

Really, kids outside playing in Plano??? No. not anywhere close to the way kids play outside in CT where my kids grew up. Or even in Katy/Houston where i grew up.

Maybe Frisco, Allen, Mckinney or Dallas i dont know , dont drive thru residential areas there much. But definitely not what i see when driving around Plano. In fact the exact opposite. Only see kids at the parks. Maybe a few kids in the neighborhoods but that is nothing compared to what ive seen in North NJ, CT or even in Katy growing up.

Last edited by Peter5457; 08-30-2015 at 09:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 04:04 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,083,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter5457 View Post
Really, kids outside playing in Plano??? No. not anywhere close to the way kids play outside in CT where my kids grew up. Or even in Katy/Houston where i grew up.

Maybe Frisco, Allen, Mckinney or Dallas i dont know , dont drive thru residential areas there much. But definitely not what i see when driving around Plano. In fact the exact opposite. Only see kids at the parks. Maybe a few kids in the neighborhoods but that is nothing compared to what ive seen in North NJ, CT or even in Katy growing up.
That much is true.... No kids outside in Plano... Or west Frisco. Maybe a little league at the park but not in the streets. Its oh so quiet...

Old 09-01-2015, 04:08 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,083,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move_to_tx View Post
Hello,
We are planning to move to Plano/Frisco/Allen with two kids. We are looking for a kids friendly neighborhood , where kids get together in the evenings to play,ride bikes. Any ideas?
Thanks
Have you spent time in Dallas? Seattle and DFW are almost polar opposites and not just weather-wise. If you havent it might be a difficult adjustment.
Otherwise those neighborhoods are pretty great....except those children wont be outside.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:38 PM

718 posts, read 1,388,723 times
Allen, Frisco and Plano have very good schools and have neighborhoods that are family oriented. It will come down on what is available and your budget. You need to drive around to get a feel of what you would like , but you cannot go wrong with those cities.
But as much as I like Texas , I would move to Seatle in a nano second if given the opportunity . Don't make any mistake , you will be crying for the nice Seattle weather in a short time.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:13 AM

455 posts, read 578,118 times
Prosper has kids outside all the time.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:57 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,491,476 times
Quote:

You obviously don't live anywhere near Plano. Kids are on skateboards, bicycles, shooting hoops at all hours everywhere.

Of course, in the summer they also are in their pools -

Old 09-03-2015, 08:09 PM

468 posts, read 475,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
You obviously don't live anywhere near Plano. Kids are on skateboards, bicycles, shooting hoops at all hours everywhere.

Of course, in the summer they also are in their pools -
Oh, i like living in plano but compared to other areas ive lived i see less kids playing outside in north plano neighborhoods than any of the other numerous places ive lived throughout the country. I'm always giving my kids rides and running errands all over north plano between preston and custer everyday. I do drive to other parts of plano but dont drive thru the residential streets there. Nor do i really drive residential streets much in neighboring towns.

Actually, its quite noticeable. Maybe you havent lived in many other parts of the country to notice the comparison.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:01 PM

352 posts, read 569,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move_to_tx View Post
I hate seattle weather..and very very expensive. Our budget is around 500K.But our priority is good schools and ofcouse safe and kid friendly neighborhood.
I can respect those reasons for wanting to move to DFW however, if you haven't noticed already, many people move here out of necessity and "practicality" rather than true desire. IMHO, One of the things that DFW does best (besides eating/drinking/buying stuff), is the fact that they make it a priority to try to cater to families to lure people in. While I have noticed kids playing outdoors, most people spend more time indoors. In fact, i was told homes are larger here because you'll end up spending more time inside.

So, despite the expensive cost of living & cloudy days in Seattle, many people, myself included, still find Seattle a bit more desirable area to live vs. Dallas as I hate the Dallas weather and lack of scenery. But hey, you gotta do what you gotta do to make life easier for your family.

If you hate Seattle weather, you may very well truly enjoy Dallas weather, so good luck with your move. I'm sure you'll obtain some great information on here. Also, 500k will get you a very nice place, however home prices certainly are not what they once were & property tax/insurance are not a game either.

Be cautious of where you plan to live and how far your willing to commute (unless you work from home) because the traffic is not getting better, and you don't want to end up spending 2 hours getting to/from work, blowing your Texas-sized savings on tolls, fuel and vehicle maintenance.

Last edited by USNomad; 09-03-2015 at 09:36 PM..

Old 09-03-2015, 09:27 PM

352 posts, read 569,884 times
Quote:

I, being a New Jersey native can attest to this...growing up, I'd get home from school, knock out my homework and played outside until the street lights came on. Here, I see the majority of kids at local parks, but not so much in residential neighborhoods.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:32 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,400 times
OP, any of those 2 areas are probably going to be ok. Where is your job? You can minimize your commute
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas