Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2015, 02:19 PM

5 posts, read 4,550 times

Advertisements

Hello!

We're moving to TX and education is our main focus. Since we're coming from a private school background for our child, we would like the same standard of academia as well as holistic wellbeing as the main priority in the institution we settle on. We're looking both into both private and public schools for our 10 year old (who will be going into 5th grade), as it is our biggest priority before making a decision on purchasing a house and settling down in a neighborhood. We're seeking a school with a good academic record/teaching/ranking, with a Gifted and Talented pgm, strong emphasis on science & math as well as the arts etc., teachers who truly care and not just in for the paycheck, overall warm nurturing atmosphere for the children to grow and learn, good parent involvement, and of course great cultural diversity. Is this too much to ask?

We'd appreciate advice reg'd private schools in and around the Plano area, which is where our work is. Any one who has their children in private schools currently or in the past, please do chime in with any and all candid comments about your experiences and input about the good and bad. We're considering the Yorktown and Greenhill private schools in the area. Given that latter is huge with a large campus providing many amenities while having high enrollment numbers, and the former is in a single building but with very small enrollment while seemingly having individual attention and more flexibility in education and care... we're unable to decide which is better. Can we gain admission to either at present date? What is the admissions testing like? Which areas should we look into for houses, if we were to choose either of these schools?

Additionally, we're also considering exceptionally good public and charter schools, and upon research found that the majority lean towards Plano ISD, the Legacy Prep Academy in Plano, Leadership Prep School in Frisco. We've researched and found all the generic info and stats about these schools, but wish to learn more from people's personal experiences and opinions, so as to make an informed decision. Is it too late to get into the two charter schools at this present date? How are the G&T pgms at each of these schools and how is the transition for a child into these pgms when coming from a G&T school? As far as PISD, it seems like Andrews and Skaggs are the top elementary schools, feeding into Jasper MS, then Rice HS, and then Plano West Sr. High. Is this correct for the top PISD schools? What are the positives and negatives at each of these schools? What if the child has medical issues that need to be addressed and considered also in addition to the academics?

So any and all advise and info would be greatly appreciated! We hope to learn more from all of your experiences so that we may make some educated decisions, and so thank you in advance for your time and patience!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 09:57 AM

9 posts, read 10,378 times
I think you may be comparing apples and oranges. Greenhill is a tier 1 private. I'm not familiar with Yorktown, but from their website appears to be a new school with a focus on dual enrollment and entering college with more credits under your belt vs. a focus on rigorous college prep and AP offerings found at many privates. Do you know where their students matriculate to? Either way with competitive privates it's certainly wise to have options since admission is never a sure thing. There are a lot of threads regarding Dallas area private schools and admissions, and many threads on Plano publics so I'd do some searching on this site. A good place to start if you are coming in mid-year is to reach out to the schools directly and see what they suggest. Most of the private schools require ISEE scores, applications are due in January and admissions decisions are announced in March. Plano has excellent public schools, so I wouldn't rule out the possibility of that being a good fit for your child.

Old 09-05-2015, 01:23 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,192,161 times
To be clear, OP is asking about enrolling a child in 5th grade in private school right now, not fall of 2016?

Old 09-09-2015, 04:16 PM

Thank you so much!

Old 09-09-2015, 04:17 PM

Yes, I'm enquiring about joining school mid year (2015-2016 academic year).

Old 09-09-2015, 09:33 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,065 times
I am not sure how privates schools handle admissions mid year. I am guessing it is pretty rare. I don't know anything about Yorktown, but I would caution you on a small school. my dAughterj attended a private school with approximately 25 students per grade. it was great for academics but really limited activities offered, sports and the social stuff.

good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: