Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 06:29 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasG View Post
HP is a proper town for all purposes, not a part of Dallas. Proper or improper and market here is quite different from rest of the Dallas including Preston Hollow or Lakewood. Anyways, prices are higher and public schools are amazing. I don't know a single family who would send their kids to Dallas ISD if they can help it, doesn't matter if school is in Lakewood or Preston Hollow. Overwhelming percentage of HP kids attend public schools even if private school is easily affordable.
Duh. I know that. I grew up there. All I'm saying is that the markets inside 635 (inclusive of Park Cities) are much more similar than the suburban housing markets. They are similar from housing stock, DOM, and $/SF (yes, I know $350+/SF in HPISD is more than $275/SF in Preston Hollow but they're both a helluva lot more than the $100/SF you see in the popular northern burbs). Yes, HPISD is significantly better than DISD (though 95%+ of PH families use private schools), but in giving info to a poster from LONDON, inside-the-loop neighborhood markets are operating differently than outer suburb markets.

I would be more specific with a local poster but this guy is 5,000 miles away and will likely never buy a home here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,547 times
Londoncowboy yes $600 thousand is quite a bit for this area. Especially when you consider that theres alot of nice neighborhoods in north dallas and fort worth that range from $160s to $300s.
I can understand the confusion though. I sometimes watch "the truth about property" (a british show) on youtube and have seen what tiny properties go for in England. My jaw dropped.
Understand something though we dont get free healthcare so if u come here be prepared for the health insurance sticker shock.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:55 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLadyorion View Post
Londoncowboy yes $600 thousand is quite a bit for this area. Especially when you consider that theres alot of nice neighborhoods in north dallas and fort worth that range from $160s to $300s.
I can understand the confusion though. I sometimes watch "the truth about property" (a british show) on youtube and have seen what tiny properties go for in England. My jaw dropped.
Understand something though we dont get free healthcare so if u come here be prepared for the health insurance sticker shock.
Hi lady Orion welcome to the forum

Basically for years I've dreamt about coming over to the states ( but my job scaffolder is quite hard to find over there ) and I always fancied Texas then I got wind of a job in Corpus Christi actually through a Brit who's there now so I done some research in Texas ( big rich Texas, big tips Texas and Texas women!!! Honest ) and thought I'd check Dallas out whilst I was there.

Now I was expecting to go next month but due to site politics I'm now looking at March time at best , it will be a high paying job at roughly $35-45 per hour with an overtime rate ( which I understand will stretch quite far in Texas ) so the plan is to stay indefinitely and again like the looks of Dallas but Yes I couldn't buy in London ( well certainly not somewhere you would want to live )

Yes I know about the medical insurance and mine should be quite high as I'm in a dangerous job I'd assume but living in London for my entire 30 years id love to start afresh and hopefully start a family there one day

Old 09-15-2015, 10:14 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,464,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Hi lady Orion welcome to the forum

Basically for years I've dreamt about coming over to the states ( but my job scaffolder is quite hard to find over there ) and I always fancied Texas then I got wind of a job in Corpus Christi actually through a Brit who's there now so I done some research in Texas ( big rich Texas, big tips Texas and Texas women!!! Honest ) and thought I'd check Dallas out whilst I was there.

Now I was expecting to go next month but due to site politics I'm now looking at March time at best , it will be a high paying job at roughly $35-45 per hour with an overtime rate ( which I understand will stretch quite far in Texas ) so the plan is to stay indefinitely and again like the looks of Dallas but Yes I couldn't buy in London ( well certainly not somewhere you would want to live )
Just fyi, a 100K salary is not going to put you into a 600K home in Texas, unless you have other built up assets. Now could it get you a nice 3 bedroom house in the suburbs, absolutely.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:40 AM

15,675 posts, read 11,529,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Just fyi, a 100K salary is not going to put you into a 600K home in Texas, unless you have other built up assets. Now could it get you a nice 3 bedroom house in the suburbs, absolutely.
Thanks for post I'm jumping the gun tbh but it's nice to know what's sort of range I'll have cheers

Either way it's cheaper than London

Old 09-15-2015, 09:58 PM

200 posts, read 619,284 times
Overall, the Dallas market has been quiet stable...coming from a Florida market :-) Dallas hasn't seen the extreme highs and lows. I had a vision to come to Dallas too and I'm sure glad I did!

Old 09-22-2015, 12:09 PM

14 posts, read 21,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Yes sorry for any confusion caused as a Brit we just look at a map and so oh look Dallas Is big lol
Definitely check out the Lakewood area around White Rock Lake in Dallas. $800k will get you a nice 4/4, 3300 sq ft in an established neighborhood with a great Lake vibe (very outdoorsy, cycling friendly). It's known for being "10 minutes away from anywhere worth going in Dallas." There's also a city-rail station in the neighborhood for easy transport into Uptown, downtown, fair park, deep ellum, etc..

I'm newly married, and my wife and I are buying into the neighborhood with around $400k and are getting a very nice starter home.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:25 PM

218 posts, read 337,168 times
Dallas has its own market and does not seem to be tracking rest of teh country.

Huge D-FW home price gains buck national trends | | Dallas Morning News

Old 09-22-2015, 08:54 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
Calling the Park Cities Dallas proper is absurd.
No, it's not, when you have to put them in one of two categories: (a) Dallas proper or (b) a suburb. And, it turns out that choosing (a) facilitated communication with the OP.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:09 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
No, it's not, when you have to put them in one of two categories: (a) Dallas proper or (b) a suburb. And, it turns out that choosing (a) facilitated communication with the OP.
I don't care about the facilitated communication. Saying Dallas proper for locations not in Dallas proper makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas