Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 12:53 AM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,141,751 times

Advertisements

Kinda appropriate to waste other people's money on trip to visit clowns who make a life of wasting other people's money....summarizes formal (mis)education and gvt well

IMO, money far better spent teaching kid (and parents) how to trade in stock market (at first virtually on Net simulators for free); irony is, only costs <$300 to buy grt books on kindle for kid (and parents) to start to learn mkts....and give remaining $1700 to kid as grub stake for trading (post virtual trading)....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 01:36 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,437,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Kinda appropriate to waste other people's money on trip to visit clowns who make a life of wasting other people's money....summarizes formal (mis)education and gvt well

IMO, money far better spent teaching kid (and parents) how to trade in stock market (at first virtually on Net simulators for free); irony is, only costs <$300 to buy grt books on kindle for kid (and parents) to start to learn mkts....and give remaining $1700 to kid as grub stake for trading (post virtual trading)....
Do you mean other people's money as in taxpayers paying for an individual kid's trip to DC? They don't. These trips are payed for by the kids' parents, and in the case of public schooled kids is totally optional.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:30 AM

233 posts, read 301,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP48G View Post
A trip from Dallas to DC for 4 people with airfare, hotel, transportation and meals for 2K for spring break?
Rent an RV and drive. It takes care of airfare, hotel and transportation. You can even cook most meals.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:48 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,143,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2DFW View Post
Just asking the group, my child's school has a 5th grade field trip, over spring break, apparently put together by a private tour company. It is $2000 trip to Washington DC.

What are folk's thoughts and how common is it for the kids to do these trips

Thank You
I wouldn't say it's common. I went to private school in Preston Hollow but in my neighborhood the mix among us kids was about 50/50 public/private. I don't recall any of us going on spring break excursions like that run by the school.

I do remember the public high school had some groups take trips for competitions and some clubs/classes even went abroad. One of my best friends from childhood went to France with the Hillcrest High School French class. All of that was out of the students' families' pockets. It wasn't common at all.

I think $2k for a field trip for fifth graders is a bit extravagant, but that's just me.

Old 09-22-2015, 07:59 AM

68 posts, read 91,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasG View Post
Rent an RV and drive. It takes care of airfare, hotel and transportation. You can even cook most meals.
Actually, don't. There's no place nearby to park it once you arrive.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:00 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,394,597 times
ILT Garland high school offers their students a school-wide end of year 4 week trip to China for $3500/child. It includes airfare, accommodations, any visa fees, entry into all venues on the tour and domestic travel.
$2000 for 5th grade seems a bit much. I know I didn't really appreciate/benefit from such things until 7-8th grade

Old 09-22-2015, 07:50 PM

79 posts, read 103,897 times
Good info everyone. Thank you. We are opting to not do this trip.

Thanks

Old 09-22-2015, 07:56 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,559,561 times
Quote:
Lol, wut? Sounds like an awful trip.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:38 PM

630 posts, read 651,566 times
Quote:
That's really not practical for a short trip. That's a 3,000 mile roundtrip, so you get several days of stressful driving, the cost of fuel, and then finding a place to park it in DC.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:13 PM

506 posts, read 2,142,861 times
My children's elementary school had spring break trips to Washington, DC every other year and took 5th & 6th graders. All of our kids went on the trip and had a great time with their classmates, principal, and chaperones (we chaperoned one year). Our kids are all either in or out of college now so it's been a while and I don't remember what we paid. I remember is wasn't inexpensive but $2K seems a bit steep. They still talk about all the fun they had and things they got to see, including a White House tour when it was closed to all tours due to security concerns. Somebody's dad pulled some strings and inside they went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas