Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 08:19 AM

59 posts, read 218,737 times

Advertisements

My son currently rents in The Villages in Dallas. He works in the University Park area. He is wanting to buy a starter home in the $100-110,000 price range. He prefers a commute no longer than 30 minutes. Because of his price point some of the areas seem sketchy. It is also difficult to know places to absolutely avoid due to high crime, gangs, etc.

Mesquite is one area he was considering since home prices are lower. We have heard so many stories and forum replies about how bad Mesquite is and not to move there. It can't all be bad I wouldn't think. If anyone has any helpful information on areas to avoid or areas that are good please let us know. There may be other cities that would be a good fit for his pricing preference that we aren't aware of. If so, feel free to expand on that. For resale purposes the better school districts may be helpful information too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 08:32 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,449,830 times
Areas around Poteet High school are not bad.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:33 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,872,645 times
He's not going to find a home in that price range that's in a good area either in Dallas or Mesquite. He would do better to save his money until he can put down a bigger down payment.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:20 AM

718 posts, read 1,389,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
He's not going to find a home in that price range that's in a good area either in Dallas or Mesquite. He would do better to save his money until he can put down a bigger down payment.
That! There is nothing in the area right now that would qualify as a nice starting home in this price range. I agree with the poster above , he should start to save up for a bigger down payment.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:53 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
^^^This. He needs a minimum budget of $180-200k to buy in a safe neighborhood within 30 minute commute.

I was in a hurry to buy when I was in my mid 20's, it was a similar market to this one and I was so worried I would get priced out of home ownership if I didn't take the plunge ASAP. I wish I had waited another 5 years because renting is SO much cheaper than home ownership. I could have socked away another $50k+ by renting for 5 more years and would have been able to afford a more expensive home once I did buy (negating the fear of being priced out).

Old 03-09-2015, 02:16 PM

59 posts, read 218,737 times
Thanks for all your input. I agree it will be harder for him to find something in a decent area with the price point given, but putting that aside, does anyone have general input in the areas of crime, gangs, etc, especially in Mesquite and Irving. If he does find a fixer upper what areas to definitely avoid??

Old 03-09-2015, 05:06 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,872,645 times
I would avoid any area in Mesquite where you can buy a house for $100k. Seriously. Those are going to be the older neighborhoods, most likely south of Hwy 80. Some of those areas are fairly high crime, and even if he does buy a house and fix it up, he's not likely to make any money by selling it because the surrounding neighborhood will not be good. Yes, the areas in Mesquite that have that cheap of housing will have crime and gangs, and the surrounding neighborhood will also have houses that are in need of serious work.

FWIW, I grew up in Mesquite.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:06 PM

2 posts, read 6,160 times
I was recently told North Mesquite is the good part of Mesquite! Every neighborhood has its crime and you never know when it's your neighborhood that's next. For convenience North Mesquite is where you want to be, easy access to Downtown Dallas and surrounding cities no more than 15 minutes. There is a restaurant row with countless places to eat and a large 3 story Mall with 3 major department stores. The homes are priced right for all 1st time buyers. The schools are good, apply and seek out the AP courses these are the ones which will get your kids to college! Come make the neighborhood a better place to live.

Old 09-20-2015, 09:16 PM

409 posts, read 1,045,156 times
My sister lives is Mesquite 75149 since the early 90's. There are homes in her subdivision that meet your price point and you can move in and live in it. But you are getting blue carpet, Formica etc. It isn't pretty. But my sister and her husband make more money than I do and they refuse to move b/c they have paid off their home. I feel safe when I visit them and they have never had a break in. I for one would never want to live where they live. (not pretty, schools suck) but she can afford to live elsewhere and does not.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:22 AM

769 posts, read 782,624 times
I'd check out Hamilton Park (Forest Ln and Schroeder).

Some people don't like it because it is predominantly black. I think it is a nice neighborhood and very close to University Park. A friend of mine bought a house there for $60k 2 years ago and he has no problem with crime. He now has a cute ranch style house with a big yard and pool in a very convenient location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas