Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 04:07 PM

8,134 posts, read 3,671,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
You might want to check out the thread about how people are camping out overnight to buy homes in McKinney, vs this one where a homeowner can't sell their house in Allen to determine which is the more desirable area.
Well, a lot of people for whatever reason want brand new, but with prices completely out of hand, they can't afford it. So they jump on something that's on the low end of current prices. A brand new house in 75013, for instance, will be for sure >400k.

Last time, I've seen that real estate prices map that dallasnews publishes I think was in Q1, and back then if I remember correctly allen, frisco, mckinney, plano were all within a week of each other in days on the market. And the one with the shortest by far was ..... Colony.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:48 PM

617 posts, read 1,041,705 times
I for one know nothing about this topic, but am drawn to these kinds of threads like a moth to a flame. I did a search for properties within a few miles of the intersection of the Sam Rayburn Tollway and Custer Rd in Frisco, Allen and McKinney. I found three that are all listed for about $550,000. Schools, HOA dues, taxes, etc. seem pretty comparable. What can be learned from this comparison? I don't know - they all look pretty similar to my untrained eye...

$550,000
1615 Frederickburg
Allen, TX 75013
5 Bed | 4.1 Bath | 4,035 Square Feet
Price per Square Foot: $136.31
Built 2014

$544,900
14902 Story Lane
Frisco, TX 75035
5 Bed | 4.1 Bath | 4,220 Square Feet
Price per Square Foot: $129.12
Built 2010

$549,900
8016 Connestee Drive
Mckinney, TX 75070
4 Bed | 5.1 Bath | 3,570 Square Feet
Price per Square Foot: $154.03
Built 2006

Old 09-29-2015, 05:29 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWUser1 View Post
Comparing totally unrelated individual circumstances and generalizing towns is laughable.
It's like telling 2M house in HP is 3 days on market vs 200k home for 1 day in McKinney, so Mckinney is desirable than HP.
What else can be expected from McKinney owner?
Don't get all pissy because your town isn't as desirable as others.

What can be expected of me is the truth. Hell, we looked in Allen when we were buying our last home, and so did my parents, right by Stacy/121 area. It's a great area.

BUT... BigDGeek is still right. They don't have many companies there for a workforce, and that means a commute somewhere. They lose to Plano there and comparing school districts. Vs McKinney, they don't have any historic areas going for it, they don't have the county seat, and the topography of McKinney is hard to beat among any of the suburbs, especially the SBR area. Vs Frisco, they don't have the retail, nor jobs that Frisco does, or entertainment (Roughriders, FC Dallas, Legends, and the Cowboys new HQ.)

Sorry you don't like to live in reality.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Well, a lot of people for whatever reason want brand new, but with prices completely out of hand, they can't afford it. So they jump on something that's on the low end of current prices. A brand new house in 75013, for instance, will be for sure >400k.

Last time, I've seen that real estate prices map that dallasnews publishes I think was in Q1, and back then if I remember correctly allen, frisco, mckinney, plano were all within a week of each other in days on the market. And the one with the shortest by far was ..... Colony.
Oh, I know my example was a quick and glib one... But it still has merit. Can you recall any time that people have slept overnight to be able to buy into an Allen development?

Nope.

Furthermore, McKinney has been voted the Best Place to Live by Money Magazine for several years running now. There's plenty of reasons for that. Plano gets those types of awards all the time too. Last one was "Safest city over 250k population." And between landing more and more corporations to set up shop, Allen doesn't compete at ALL with Plano for job growth.

DFWUser is just sour that Allen doesn't have as much going for it as other cities. I guess his great great grandfather founded the place or something, and is a bit too emotionally wound up about it to debate on its actual merits.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:22 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,759,365 times
Quote:
Oh, I know my example was a quick and glib one... But it still has merit. Can you recall any time that people have slept overnight to be able to buy into an Allen development?

Nope.

Furthermore, McKinney has been voted the Best Place to Live by Money Magazine for several years running now. There's plenty of reasons for that. Plano gets those types of awards all the time too. Last one was "Safest city over 250k population." And between landing more and more corporations to set up shop, Allen doesn't compete at ALL with Plano for job growth.

DFWUser is just sour that Allen doesn't have as much going for it as other cities. I guess his great great grandfather founded the place or something, and is a bit too emotionally wound up about it to debate on its actual merits.
Geez MckinneyOwnr, thenewtexan just owned you a few pages back (Households Median/Mean). I'd figured you would have ducked out of this thread lol. Keep up the fight for McKinney.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Geez MckinneyOwnr, thenewtexan just owned you a few pages back (Households Median/Mean). I'd figured you would have ducked out of this thread lol. Keep up the fight for McKinney.
You must be from Allen if you're having trouble following the conversation. Schools aren't as good as Plano's.

Quote:
Per capita income is higher in Plano. I do think you're right that household income is a bit higher in Allen, but that's only because there are more kids in Plano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Per American factfinder from the US Census, which I consider to be the horse's mouth, it breaks down like this for the 09-13 time frame:

Allen: Households Median: $101,636

Plano:Households Median: $82,484
So thenewtexan posts information that... by golly, is EXACTLY what I said.

So... are you new to the internet or just reading in general?

Old 09-29-2015, 06:53 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,759,365 times
Quote:
So thenewtexan posts information that... by golly, is EXACTLY what I said. "but that's only because there are more kids in Plano."
Kids???? really

Quote:
The only significant gap I can see is with the MEDIANS, especially the house hold income. not the mean. So, either the single people in Allen are much more affluent than the singles in Plano, OR Plano is a little top heavy. More than likely, it's the latter. The true average family income difference is less than $5K. It's also an indicator that there's more socioeconomic diversity in Plano, which we already knew, right? !

Old 09-29-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
Kids???? really
Yep. Plano attracts families for the schools, far more than Allen does. If you doubt that... Oh I don't know, search for Plano schools on this board vs Allen schools. I bet the subject of Plano vs Allen is about 10 to 1

Plano has a lot more single earner families than Allen because of this.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:19 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,257,302 times
Quote:
You must be from Allen if you're having trouble following the conversation. Schools aren't as good as Plano's.

So thenewtexan posts information that... by golly, is EXACTLY what I said.

So... are you new to the internet or just reading in general?
Hey, how did I get dragged into this? All I did was copy and paste from the US Census Bureau. LOL. I happen to think McKinney is a nice town. Now lets all be friends!

Old 09-29-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Hey, how did I get dragged into this? All I did was copy and paste from the US Census Bureau. LOL. I happen to think McKinney is a nice town. Now lets all be friends!
LOL It's not your fault, your information was accurate. It's just some people are unable to face facts when it comes to where they live vs other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas