Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 07:41 PM

233 posts, read 302,860 times

Advertisements

It's true that malls of all kinds are of little importance in today's world. I doubt people care about indoor or outdoor unless when it's really hot, cold or rainy. Costco on other hand is very useful for suburban families.

High way 75 totally sucks so you can't count that as a plus. Driving on 75 to and from Dallas is a nightmare. If nothing else then Allen should get some public transport as traffic is getting horrible.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:22 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,570,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasG View Post
It's true that malls of all kinds are of little importance in today's world. I doubt people care about indoor or outdoor unless when it's really hot, cold or rainy. Costco on other hand is very useful for suburban families.

High way 75 totally sucks so you can't count that as a plus. Driving on 75 to and from Dallas is a nightmare. If nothing else then Allen should get some public transport as traffic is getting horrible.
To be fair the DNT sucks too, and you get to pay to sit in traffic. I sat on the flyover to merge from 121 at 930ish for almost an extra 30 minutes due to a wreck at Parker, recently.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:04 PM

427 posts, read 493,846 times
I agree with Aceraceae - it is true that DNT sucks and you need to pay to sit in traffic. ATLEAST on 75 I can choose my time during non rush hours, travel very comfortably "free". Show me this comfort from Frisco?? Even if you want to travel during non rush hours or in opposite direction to traffic, ONLY options are to PAY or get through service road stopping at traffic lights every other stop.

DallasG & others - curious - do you live in Allen? Most of these posters seems to be posting negatively about Allen. And it is the negative perception being spread across the board by non-residents.

It may be true that "academically" Allen may be performing less that Plano West - but IT is comparable to Frisco. At least till Elementary, Middle school levels. Everyone one will have opportunities to study as they like and Allen promotes all round improvement in sports, arts, education - Kids can pursue their goals as they like and not MAD rush/bookish knowledge/Asian competition in other schools (majority). No one stops a student from studying or do whatever they like. For a good student, competition need not be in the same school to succeed. If they are mindful, focused, children will be successfull. Good students need to compete nationally, not locally at towns and counties. As long as there is foundation, nurturing, caring environment (which I think Allen definitely has) - there is no stopping for anyone to become what they want.

There are some improvements needed in Allen high, I think the new superintendent is capable and there is a new STEM center coming up in Allen to take off some load from high school, which is a fantastic idea.

All 75013 is being developed is very well, looks beautiful, neat and clean. Having access to both 75 and 121. Much of Allen is very well located, connected than many farther parts of Frisco, Prosper, McKinney etc. All the problem seems to be for outsiders. Allen is just fine.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:10 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
The farther out from Dallas...

Old 09-27-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWUser1 View Post
I agree with Aceraceae - it is true that DNT sucks and you need to pay to sit in traffic. ATLEAST on 75 I can choose my time during non rush hours, travel very comfortably "free". Show me this comfort from Frisco?? Even if you want to travel during non rush hours or in opposite direction to traffic, ONLY options are to PAY or get through service road stopping at traffic lights every other stop.

DallasG & others - curious - do you live in Allen? Most of these posters seems to be posting negatively about Allen. And it is the negative perception being spread across the board by non-residents.

It may be true that "academically" Allen may be performing less that Plano West - but IT is comparable to Frisco. At least till Elementary, Middle school levels. Everyone one will have opportunities to study as they like and Allen promotes all round improvement in sports, arts, education - Kids can pursue their goals as they like and not MAD rush/bookish knowledge/Asian competition in other schools (majority). No one stops a student from studying or do whatever they like. For a good student, competition need not be in the same school to succeed. If they are mindful, focused, children will be successfull. Good students need to compete nationally, not locally at towns and counties. As long as there is foundation, nurturing, caring environment (which I think Allen definitely has) - there is no stopping for anyone to become what they want.

There are some improvements needed in Allen high, I think the new superintendent is capable and there is a new STEM center coming up in Allen to take off some load from high school, which is a fantastic idea.

All 75013 is being developed is very well, looks beautiful, neat and clean. Having access to both 75 and 121. Much of Allen is very well located, connected than many farther parts of Frisco, Prosper, McKinney etc. All the problem seems to be for outsiders. Allen is just fine.
I don't but my ex did and my boys went to Allen schools for years while they lived there.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The farther out from Dallas...
This^. Your point of entry on a highway matters more than just having access to a highway. It can totally transform your commute to enter 75 from Stacy or from Renner Road.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:29 PM

427 posts, read 493,846 times
That's the thing. Not sure why you are consistently badmouthing Allen, but I saw your other post where you said you had tutoring to your kids in HP to catch up. While obviously HP is at a different level, you should have taken similar care/focus whatsoever, with your Kids in Allen as well, they would have done very well at Allen too.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWUser1 View Post
That's the thing.
Thank you Dr. Phil.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:38 AM

34 posts, read 47,820 times
Thank you for all the valuable inputs. I agree, Allen is trying to be trendy and different (One high school with poor ratings, no big companies, mall with no indoor walkway, no Costco/Sams clubs, no public transportation, etc) from other cities. But how does that work you are surrounded by other towns that have those?

Why would Allen residents live there but give all their tax revenue to Plano? How does that help city of Allen? For almost everything (Groceries, malls, shopping, etc) we go to Plano. Apart from safety concerns, why would you want to take your family & kids walk-outside for shopping in the hot summer or cold winter? If you are working in Dallas, you are driving that much farther to work. I-75 is worst and not getting any better. Isn't it bizarre, Allen was founded by rail road man, and Allen didn't allow DARTs rail extension from Parker Rd Plano into the city? This is not making any sense to me at all. I could be almost living in Plano....Why is Allen is secluding or shooting themselves in the foot, lost and not in par with other cities?

Old 09-28-2015, 07:54 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,406,898 times
Homes always sell at the right price. Allen is a suburban community like most others anywhere in the US so you should look closer to home in determining why it has not sold. Do you have wallpaper and popcorn ceilings? Appliances that are not right off the showroom floor? Home buyers today are very superficial so if you have to choose between updating the HVAC or buying appliances, the appliances will sell the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas