Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 6,915 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to Dallas in March. For the past 20 years we have traveled a great deal and have lived in a number of wonderful cities -- our favorites being walking cities. We realize that Dallas does not meet this criteria, but are hoping that there are urban neighborhoods that have some of the same characteristics: restaurants, bookstores, museums, natural food stores...,within walking distance from home. We are in our 50's. Except for our golden retriever, our children are grown and gone. We hope to purchase a townhome in an area where we can walk our dog to a park yet also feel that we are experiencing the energy and vibrancy of the city. Are we asking for too much? My online research has not given me a good enough feel for which of the urban neighborhoods would be best. I sure would welcome any and all suggestions. Forums helped us find our places in Hong Kong and Tokyo, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you all will help me again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 04:38 PM

88 posts, read 366,855 times
Uptown - I think is the closest thing - the crowd is probably a little younger, but on the whole good walking to restaurants and all that.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:45 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,254,649 times
Ok, you can all the above except the museums in Las Colinas. Another area is Highland Park but it's very expensive there. Even closer to downtown is (Lakewood, White Rock lake area, lower greenville) all 3 intertwine. Lots of nice parks, close to the museums, Dallas Arboretum & Botanical Gardens too.

Old 01-29-2008, 05:14 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
Uptown is more urban - you could also look around West Village and Knox-Henderson. There aren't that many townhomes in Lakewood but here is one a block or two from the 'downtown of Lakewood' Untitled Document

There are also new townhomes around Lower Greenville -- look off Matilda, Oram, Lewis, Ross.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:16 PM

2 posts, read 6,915 times
Ah, food for thought. No mention of oak lawn or turtle creek. Am curious about them -- they appear quite urban.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:18 PM

88 posts, read 366,855 times
I agree with you about Oak Lawn - not mentioned enough here, but a good several block area with densely packed shopping and housing options.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:23 PM

35 posts, read 106,695 times
Default Late 40s empty nesters moving to Dallas

We have an opportunity to move to Dallas. I would work in downtown Dallas and my wife (who travels about 50-60% of the the time via airline) would work out of a home office when she's not on the road. Our kids are in college so school districts don't have the importance they once did. And I don't want the long commute (over 30 minutes). We are looking in the $350K range. Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:09 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,595,227 times
Lakewood or Lake Highlands, but East of Central Expressway, but north of Downtown. Commutes will range from 5-20 minutes. You can definitely find homes in either area within your price range.

Do you have any other preferences? Size? Trees? New -vs- old? Condo? Detached home?

Old 02-11-2008, 06:22 PM

937 posts, read 2,906,728 times
You can find townhomes in that price range in the lower greenville area as well.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:18 PM

35 posts, read 106,695 times
We prefer the "non-cookie cutter" type of home, but certainly don't want a fixer upper either. We work a lot of hours and the wife travels, so when she's out of town, I'm working at the office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas