Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,239 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am considering moving to Dallas. I'm a non-Christian, not very religious/ open to all beliefs, lifestyle choices, gay/straight, etc. and am liberal. Would I have trouble finding people to connect with my liberal thinking or finding people to date with the same views since I am a young professional?

Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 02:31 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankzing99 View Post
Hi,

I am considering moving to Dallas. I'm a non-Christian, not very religious/ open to all beliefs, lifestyle choices, gay/straight, etc. and am liberal. Would I have trouble finding people to connect with my liberal thinking or finding people to date with the same views since I am a young professional?

Thanks a lot!
No problem at all for you to find people to connect with, if you stay within the city of Dallas and not the burbs. You'll find different types of people in the burbs, but it's more varied w/in the city limits. The city of Dallas votes majority Democratic Party, like urban Houston and the city of Austin. Outside of the bigger urban areas is where it can get uber conservative. I'm talking tea party big time.

You can look up the statistics here in City Data for the city of Dallas. There is a decent sized gay population (gay pride parade, although small, occurs every year). A prominent presence of the Democratic Party volunteers and campaigns.

You can look up groups in meetup.com to see what sorts of groups there are in Dallas, to give you a sense of the interests of the people.

Whether your coworkers or bosses will be more liberal or conservative depends on your field. Most lawyers here are very much Republican/conservative, including tea partiers, but there are some who are liberal or even outspokenly gay.

There is a presence here of buddhists, too. I don't know any, but I've seen a couple of their temples, and there's a meetup group or two for them. So I'd say that anyone could find people of like mind here in Dallas.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:43 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,571,734 times
Liberal quota has been filled.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:38 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,895 times
As noted, the city proper is more liberal and whatever. The suburbs...it really depends. You shouldn't have problems meeting like-minded people wherever you go, but it is true that in many of the burbs it certainly trends conservative (and depending on the area, somewhat more religious), so it's a little trickier.

Re: religion - I've been here under 5 years. During that time, I've had...5 or 6 strangers in public (that I've randomly chatted with briefly for whatever reason) as "what church do you go to" or a variant thereof. So, just over once a year, roughly...but it's still about 5-6 times more than I was asked in 17 years in Chicago. Make of that what you will.

Unless you're the type to bring up politics or whatever, it'll largely be "background noise", but depending on where you are it could be a little uncomfortable to have to dance around such subjects (I have a former co-worker who is a friend who I've learned from a few comments holds some views that are dramatically different than mine, so I steer clear of those subjects. We still get along but it's just that mental placeholder "be very careful if the subject goes here").

Old 10-03-2015, 04:51 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,458,184 times
Shouldn't be a problem if you live in Dallas proper. Stay out of the suburbs. The city of Dallas itself is liberal to moderate. If you are hanging out in areas like Deep Ellum, Uptown, Knox-Henderson, Greenville, you'll find some similar people.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:57 PM

554 posts, read 1,196,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankzing99 View Post
Hi,

Thanks a lot!
Welcome!

Liberal and secular humanist here. You will love the city. The suburbs are about 80-20 uber conservative.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:45 PM

233 posts, read 302,956 times
I'm friends with all sort of people including Orthodox Jews, liberal Muslims, Mormins, atheist, conservative Hindus, seculars, agnostics, a la carte Catholics, head covering ladies, not so Buddha like Buddhists and so on but they all seem fine in suburbs and in the city. Just so you know, exurbs and rural areas aren't really open minded.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:58 AM

18,563 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
No problem at all for you to find people to connect with, if you stay within the city of Dallas and not the burbs. You'll find different types of people in the burbs, but it's more varied w/in the city limits. The city of Dallas votes majority Democratic Party, like urban Houston and the city of Austin.
Yeah, but that's just because of the racial demographics. Whites in Dallas aren't any more liberal than Whites in the 'burbs.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:07 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,458,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Yeah, but that's just because of the racial demographics. Whites in Dallas aren't any more liberal than Whites in the 'burbs.
Not sure I agree with this. Whites in Dallas tend to be younger and single. Younger and single whites are more likely to be liberal/moderate, whereas whites in the suburbs are more likely to be married heterosexual couples who are moderate/conservative.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:39 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,571,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Hispanics and AA overwhelmingly vote democrat, so it shouldn't surprise Dallas goes blue in elections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas