Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 01:52 PM

233 posts, read 301,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrapr View Post
Like others suggested, you would need a car to get around. If you stay close to US-75 and George Bush Turnpke, there are several hotels with shuttle like Hilton Garden Inn, Homewood, Springhill etc... The DART train runs along US-75 into Downtown and beyond to the Dallas Zoo, there is a station at George Bush and 75.

She can take a Uber or something to the hospital and you can take the train to Downtown, Zoo, etc...
I'm assuming that you gave this advice thinking of Medical Center of Plano. They need to live near Plano Children's on other side of the town so area around 75 wouldn't work for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 03:53 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,656,213 times
Okay, thanks for the suggestions. I looked at NYLO and it doesn't seem to fit what we desire. I'm sharing a room with the SIL and niece, and I told her at minimum, we'd need a suite with at least a partition, separating the sleeping area from a sitting area (so I can get some work done while niece naps). I just don't see how I will get niece to nap if we are in the same room with no division (she's a finicky napper to begin with).

I will look at the suggestions for hotels near Children's. The conference site recommended the hotels near the other hospital, which I'm not sure why. I appreciate all the advice. I will be bringing a stroller, and I'm comfortable walking a mile or two if need be, as long as it's safe and there are sidewalks.

When taking the shuttles, I'm thinking I would still need to deal with a carseat, right? That's my one concern. But, if there is lightrail and it's easy to navigate, that's great. My SIL is fine staying wherever is best for the kid & I. She will take a shuttle or taxi to the conference each day. I just want to be able to get out of the hotel a day or two. I'd also like a hotel that has a pool for us to play in during the day. I'm thinking late October is going to be a great time to visit Texas. Hopefully the Texas heat will have lifted a bit by then.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:48 AM

409 posts, read 1,041,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrapr View Post
Exactly. taroberts is getting very personal Looks like he is affiliated with NYLO
Nope not at all affiliated but on behalf of my company I spend almost quarter of a mil on travel at every hotel within 5 miles of the SOL and I live in 75024. I don't see why anyone would recommend any other hotel to the OP. They specifically asked about walkable. There is only one hotel walkable to Childrens. All other suggestions don't meet what the poster was asking for so I think that is pretty crappy advice.

But no one has to take my word for it ... the OP can use google and see this for themselves and when the get to Plano. They will be kicking themselves when they see how close it was as as they drive by it to get wherever they choose to stay.

Old 10-10-2015, 11:30 AM

816 posts, read 913,807 times
I work withing 1/2 mile of Children's Hospital.
I used to travel on business to that area before I got transferred to where I work now.
I have stayed in the Homewood Suites in Frisco (probably the one you referred to).
After moving here my wife and I lived in the apartments visible from Homewood Suites.
I also stayed across town at 75 and Park (way too far away, and not a lot where the hotels were except an office park).

My recommendation is Homewood Suites, if your sister can get a shuttle. I recommend it whether you rent a car or not. There is a bedroom and a living room area which has a pull out bed, and a small kitchenette. They also have a breakfast and a light dinner. When we were there for a week, my group found the light dinner a little too light so we went out to eat, but breakfast was fine. There are lots of places to walk to where you can eat or shop, and a park nearby for walks but no playground. The eating choices are mostly restaurant and not so much light or fast food. The Stonebriar mall is also walking distance. Not that I like malls, but there are theaters and a food court.

If there was some reason that you wanted to go to Dallas, like museums, NHL/NBA games, art galleries, or a trendy hip area which is also 2YO friendly, it would not be impossible to get there without a car but would be cumbersome.

I would still recommend renting a car so that you can get to a few more places but at the Homewood Suiltes, 80% will be walkable and even more will be within a 5-10 minute drive.

Old 10-11-2015, 01:25 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. We have decided to stay at the Cambria hotel & suites-Legacy, which are within walking distance to the shops at Legacy. It seems like best fit for our situation. We have opted out of renting a car, as I will be able to entertain my niece at the outdoor pool, and walk around the shops as needed. I really appreciate all who helped point us in this direction.

Old 10-11-2015, 03:57 PM

11,819 posts, read 26,681,429 times
Outdoor pool in late October? That's probably not going to work since it will most likely be too cool for swimming by then.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:53 PM

233 posts, read 301,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Outdoor pool in late October? That's probably not going to work since it will most likely be too cool for swimming by then.
It's a heated pool.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:50 AM

2,346 posts, read 6,897,188 times
That seems like an excellent choice for your situation.

Nice, new property, suite layout in rooms, with pool, near Shops at Legacy area.

Given your task of entertaining the kid for days on end, your location needs should trump hers. Well worth having your in-law Uber it a couple of miles.

Weather should still be OK for using pool at that time. (For example, our HOA doesn't close the community pool until Nov. 15.)

Old 10-13-2015, 11:06 PM

35 posts, read 44,147 times
the residence inn marriott at preston should fit the bill. its around 1 mile from childrens hospital and they have a shuttle as well.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:31 PM

The heated pool will be open, I've already inquired. Plus, we are coming from Oregon where we swim in mountain snowmelt lakes and rivers, so anything above 60° is a step up for us!

Plano, thanks for your suggestion. We've already found a hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: