Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 09:18 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,815,958 times

Advertisements

just wanted to get some people's thoughts...

the amount of "urban" development going on is absurd. we've all seen the major suburbs announcing these initiatives. i see city site plans and tons more multi-family apartments are popping up, and most are all congested right next single-family neighborhoods. some don't even include retail
when i say "living right next to", i mean 5min or less walk, basically seems like it's in your neighborhood

what are everyone's thoughts on this?

better yet, is anyone in this situation right now? if yes, how do you feel about it?

//EDIT:
suburbs - i'm talking specifically frisco/mckinney/allen/plano/etc as that's my focus
generic apartments, not high rises, typically 3 levels max
pic below for reference, imagine you are living in one of the "single family detached" and are stuck next to all this lower level type housing
Attached Thumbnails
how do you feel about living in a house right next to a multi-family apartment complex?-1.jpg  

Last edited by unknown00; 10-19-2015 at 09:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 09:26 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,267 times
Need more information. Is it in the city proper, or suburbs? Is it a high-end condo / apartment, or general generic apartments? multi family in the city is to be expected (and a good chunk of my practice, so bring it on!), and if it's a high-end build, I wouldn't object to it. In the suburbs, not so much.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:28 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,815,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Need more information. Is it in the city proper, or suburbs? Is it a high-end condo / apartment, or general generic apartments? multi family in the city is to be expected (and a good chunk of my practice, so bring it on!), and if it's a high-end build, I wouldn't object to it. In the suburbs, not so much.
suburbs - i'm talking specifically frisco/mckinney/allen/plano/etc as that's my focus
generic apartments, not high rises, typically 3 levels max

Old 10-19-2015, 09:36 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,267 times
I would not be a fan. At all. I like my property values, and that tends to be negatively affected by apartments in close proximity.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:55 PM

630 posts, read 657,073 times
I wouldn't be very concerned. It's just the evolution of the suburb. Many of the apartments being built now aren't cheap since they're targeting professionals. Many places are designed for singles and childless couples and have lower availability of two and three bedroom units. Most are midrises with AC in the hallways and underground or separate covered parking buildings and not the typical cheap garden style with an ocean of asphalt around for parking.

Increased land values in these suburbs in certain locations (corners next to busy intersections, busy commercial corridors, next to decaying strip malls) encourage this type of development and it can bring lots of new money to the city.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:11 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Apartments deteriorate a lot faster than single family houses. So, 20 years from now, a single family neighborhood may have even gotten better, but the apartment complex has gotten much worse.

When we looked for houses, we specifically avoided anything that was within 2 streets of an apartment complex. The houses that back up to the apartments were always about $10k less than the rest of the neighborhood.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:35 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
I would not be a fan. At all. I like my property values, and that tends to be negatively affected by apartments in close proximity.
Agree 100%.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:43 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,570,917 times
Not interested in living next to multi family while living in the suburbs.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:51 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
Not interested in living next to multi family while living in the suburbs.
Yeah; we move to the suburbs to get away from that!

Old 10-20-2015, 08:34 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
The only way multifamily housing really works here in our suburbs is if you have a "buffer" zone around the complex. For example, if you put the retail, restaurants, parks, and other mixed use stuff around the complex, and put the apartments in the middle. That way, the single family homes on the outside are next to retail or parks (could be viewed as a good thing by a lot of people) and you have to drive past all that to get to the apartments in the middle, so you don't even see them.

For those living in the apartments, you have a very walkable, urban style location, while still being smack dab in the middle of the suburbs with all the benefits that entails, like low crime and good schools.

McKinney did a great job of this from what I saw while living there, the apartment complexes in the nicer areas of town were kept secluded and had a buffer of retail or in some cases, creeks/greenbelts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas