Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 02:19 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirportFan View Post
Some schools I'm applying to, they accept 50-60 students out of a pool of 180 who applied. But my application may not go through. The first process is the initial screening process. So this is how the man reading my application will respond:

"3.1 GPA, 2.6 major GPA. I'm tossing this in the shredder. Send a rejection letter."

The paper shredder turns on and there goes my application I worked hard on. There are some online programs, but not sure if those would get me a job. So idk what the future holds for me.
Working hard on an application doesn't mean it deserves to be accepted. I'm sure most grad school applicants worked just as hard on theirs.

If you think your application won't be good enough, then don't submit it. Step back and ask yourself what you can do to make it look better. Consult advisers and career counselors at your university to see what advice they have.

I can tell you definitively what WON'T help your application: Sitting here whining about it.

Old 10-24-2015, 12:31 AM

49 posts, read 41,788 times
If you had all Cs and Ds, why should anyone let you into grad school? You do realize that Cs and Ds indicate that you're an average- to poor-performing student? If you got Cs and Ds in your major as an undergrad, why would Admissions feel confident that you would be able to maintain all As and Bs which is required through grad school?

Old 10-24-2015, 12:40 AM

49 posts, read 41,788 times
Quote:
So an unaccredited Masters won't allow me to do internships? And I looked at some syllabi and I saw that not all, but most of the classes had take home exams. However, I have heard that they are not multiple choice and that you won't find the answer in a book or on the internet. I heard that for those exams, you have to really think. Is this really true? How is the end of the program comps like? Is it like GRE style or harder?
Regardless of which school you go to--whether it's on campus or online or blended--make sure it's fully accredited. If a school isn't accredited, then you've totally wasted your time and money.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:53 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,116,249 times
Quote:
I am taking my GRE next month. I might take it again in the Spring before I apply to those programs that have applications due in the summer. I have not studied for it as much because I've been having tons of school work.
Dude, acing the GRE is your only way to get into a program for a career that you really really want, and you haven't "studied as much" for the test next month? Seriously? Let me guess, you haven't even taken a GRE prep course.

Never take a standardized test unless you are confident that you have prepared adequately. All those scores stay on the transcript, so even if you take it again in the Spring and do very well, schools would average it with your crappy score from November. Unless you are a great standardized test taker (doesn't sound like it), you won't do well without studying. IMHO, you would be so much better off if you don't take the test next month and take a GRE prep course and study all day/night for the Spring test.

Lastly, why do you keep saying, "it's not really fair"? What makes you think that letting you in instead of more academically qualified applicants would be more fair? That makes absolutely no sense. What makes you so special that the usual admission criteria simply go out of the window? I now know UTEP is right up there with Harvard, Yale, Stanford and all but still . . . . .

Mick

Old 10-24-2015, 05:45 PM

200 posts, read 392,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow-by-the-sea View Post
If you had all Cs and Ds, why should anyone let you into grad school? You do realize that Cs and Ds indicate that you're an average- to poor-performing student? If you got Cs and Ds in your major as an undergrad, why would Admissions feel confident that you would be able to maintain all As and Bs which is required through grad school?
I got those grades because I was never prepared for college. But I mean, those websites say the minimum is 3.0 overall or last 60 hours. If they want 3.5 GPA students, they need to put 3.5, not 3.0. They are pretty much scamming you.

Old 10-24-2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Dude, acing the GRE is your only way to get into a program for a career that you really really want, and you haven't "studied as much" for the test next month? Seriously? Let me guess, you haven't even taken a GRE prep course.

Never take a standardized test unless you are confident that you have prepared adequately. All those scores stay on the transcript, so even if you take it again in the Spring and do very well, schools would average it with your crappy score from November. Unless you are a great standardized test taker (doesn't sound like it), you won't do well without studying. IMHO, you would be so much better off if you don't take the test next month and take a GRE prep course and study all day/night for the Spring test.

Lastly, why do you keep saying, "it's not really fair"? What makes you think that letting you in instead of more academically qualified applicants would be more fair? That makes absolutely no sense. What makes you so special that the usual admission criteria simply go out of the window? I now know UTEP is right up there with Harvard, Yale, Stanford and all but still . . . . .

Mick
They average out the scores? OMG, yea, I'm going to likely have to rethink even going to graduate school. Looks like none are going to accept me, even if I sit out 5 years. I guess I'll have to learn to speak Spanish and I'll have to likely marry a Hispanic woman. Looks like El Paso is my home for life, this horrible crappy city. Dallas, Lubbock, Houston, even Atlanta are all so gorgeous. I bet even Laredo is far nicer. I might have to make an appointment with the career center and see what jobs I can get in El Paso. Me not being hispanic is going to be so hard. I wish I lived in Lubbock. It's far nicer there.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:45 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
Quote:
Me not being hispanic is going to be so hard.
Don't you already have years of practice at this? I know when I decided to become "not hispanic", it made things a whole lot easier.

I can't remember reading so many whiny responses from a single poster. Ever. On any forum. Ever.

Old 10-24-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Don't you already have years of practice at this? I know when I decided to become "not hispanic", it made things a whole lot easier.

I can't remember reading so many whiny responses from a single poster. Ever. On any forum. Ever.
Well, living in El Paso, all the jobs require you to know tons of Spanish. I planned to move out next summer, but now it looks like I might have to stay. I am studying by myself for the GRE. The GRE is the only way of getting out of El Paso. Failing the GRE means I'm not going anywhere, except to the east side of town across from Cielo Vista Mall.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:16 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Think this has run its course.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas