Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 10:50 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Movingeast View Post
I wish there was a lady like that at all the design centers/ wherever! I cook a lot and for me nothing measures up to the control and searing power of gas. But it's just a testament to the fact that people don't cook as much anymore, they also tend to not cook "from scratch" or homemade items, they use the microwave and hear things up so performance isn't the key. But when you really put time in the kitchen, performance is important.
Sing it! I saw all these giant kitchens, with vast expanses of granite countertops...and cr@ppy electric cooktops. "Oh, and the appliances are 'stainless steel'". Yabbut, they're not high quality. I always wonder how many of those kitchens actually get USED.

(and as someone who has cooked a lot in tiny kitchens with cheap electric cooktops - yes, it can be done, but if you are paying for a great big kitchen, why not have it designed to make it easy to cook WELL in it?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 07:41 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
I've never met a professional chef who cooks on an electric stove...

Old 10-25-2015, 09:58 AM

53 posts, read 67,329 times
That's surprising, almost every home that we looked at, had gas cooktop or combo cook top and we only looked at homes built during 90's.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:01 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,579,426 times
Our house had an electric cook top not plumbed for gas on the island. The choice was to run a line from the attic down the thre island and add a column to hide it or run in down the wall, tear up a row of tile, have space cut into the slab to run the line through, run the line and put it all back together was roughly 4,000.00

Old 10-25-2015, 10:21 AM

241 posts, read 381,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerPal View Post
That's surprising, almost every home that we looked at, had gas cooktop or combo cook top and we only looked at homes built during 90's.
It depends on where you look. Back around the mid-2000's there were new homes being built in parts of Frisco, for example, that only offered electric from what I remember, whereas in other parts of Frisco, gas was standard.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:54 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telegan View Post
It depends on where you look. Back around the mid-2000's there were new homes being built in parts of Frisco, for example, that only offered electric from what I remember, whereas in other parts of Frisco, gas was standard.
IIRC, there are parts of Colleyville that are "all-electric", as in EVERYTHING is electric (heat, dryers, cooktops, etc.). As you note, it varies by era, as apparently there were times that electric was "in".

Lowexpectation's comment about running gas to an electric island cooktop mirrors what we were told.

To the OP's point, I'd just strongly recommend having "gas cooktop" or "plumbed for gas" as a high priority, and generally avoid electric unless the house really REALLY stands out otherwise. Yeah, it'll take longer, but (IMHO) living for years in a home with something that is a constant source of annoyance is far worse than taking an additional couple months to find a house you will truly enjoy.

Old 10-25-2015, 11:19 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Throughout the 1980s, the "all electric" homes were popular. Natural gas was expensive, and electric was cheaper. Now, it's the other way around. Personally, we made gas a priority when we bought our house. I did have to pay to have gas run down an exterior wall so I could have a gas stove, but the house was already equipped with a gas water heater, central heat, and fireplace. (I have no idea why there wasn't a gas line for the stove!)

Old 10-25-2015, 11:49 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Gas is there when you lose power. I have used the gas logs to heat a house and a match to light the gas stove. Very handy at times!

Old 10-25-2015, 12:26 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,534,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Gas is there when you lose power. I have used the gas logs to heat a house and a match to light the gas stove. Very handy at times!
Very good point!

Old 10-25-2015, 05:15 PM

769 posts, read 782,439 times
Not everyone is a chef. I personally think that gas cooktops look ugly so I prefer a nice looking glass cooktop which is just fine for my level of cooking.

I would not want my residential kitchen to look like a commercial one.

I say this just to point out that some like me could not care less if there's a gas line in the kitchen.
Some may even consider it a hazard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas