Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2008, 04:00 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,420,013 times

Advertisements

A lot of fires going on in the North Texas area right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 04:04 PM

212 posts, read 1,154,381 times
That's strange considering it's rained recently. What kind of fires?
I wonder if it's related to all the recent talk about the downturn in the economy and housing market colapse....

Old 01-29-2008, 04:11 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,807,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
A lot of fires going on in the North Texas area right now.
Yes, I've seen the ones on the news around Paradise, TX, where some homes burned, the Benbrook area, Parker County and some grass fires in Denton. Seems like they're doing a good job of getting them under control, 'though, so far.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:17 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,894,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlosmTX View Post
That's strange considering it's rained recently. What kind of fires?
I wonder if it's related to all the recent talk about the downturn in the economy and housing market colapse....
It has to do w/ the VERY HIGH WINDS and the dormant grass right now. Today is VERY WINDY!!! Seems most of the fires are in Tarrant County or west of there and one in Wise County. Dallas County so far is free and clear of fires of this nature. Whew

Old 01-29-2008, 04:26 PM

18 posts, read 57,545 times
I have a dumb question, Texas isn't a dry state , like California is it? Fires are horrible, I have been thorugh 7 fires growing up in the same house. I was caused by some kids playing with matches. I sure hope everyone is okay out there. My prayers are with you

Old 01-29-2008, 04:37 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,262,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlover View Post
I have a dumb question, Texas isn't a dry state , like California is it? Fires are horrible, I have been thorugh 7 fires growing up in the same house. I was caused by some kids playing with matches. I sure hope everyone is okay out there. My prayers are with you
No such thing as a dumb question Gloria. Texas is not as dry as a lot of people think. We have our fair share of humidity too. The further south (towards the gulf) the more humid. I hear that Houston is unbearable at times.

Check the stats on citi data.

Naima

Old 01-29-2008, 04:41 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,894,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlover View Post
Not like California. We do have grass fires but they tend to be only during the "dry months" which will be when everything like grass and all are dormant. Like right now. Then when we have high winds like this today which is not ALL THE TIME. Some areas are more suspectible to them like west and south of Tarrant County. Within the metroplex they are usually small and contained. VERY CONTAINED! I only remember one large grass fire and I was a kid and it happened in Carrollton on the old Josey Ranch in their pasture that was east of Josey around where the current Keller Springs Rd goes. Never had to evacuate at all. Counties and cities will put burn bans into effect when it is dangerous conditions but we don't have the fires like California (and no mudslides either).

Old 01-30-2008, 02:24 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,262,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Not like California. We do have grass fires but they tend to be only during the "dry months" which will be when everything like grass and all are dormant. Like right now. Then when we have high winds like this today which is not ALL THE TIME. Some areas are more suspectible to them like west and south of Tarrant County. Within the metroplex they are usually small and contained. VERY CONTAINED! I only remember one large grass fire and I was a kid and it happened in Carrollton on the old Josey Ranch in their pasture that was east of Josey around where the current Keller Springs Rd goes. Never had to evacuate at all. Counties and cities will put burn bans into effect when it is dangerous conditions but we don't have the fires like California (and no mudslides either).
I agree with your comment. They are very good at containing this type of situation all across the metroplex. I could see in the news that the city crews were out cleaning up when the wind was still blowing strong.

Kuddos!

Old 01-31-2008, 05:20 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,420,013 times
It all started when someone threw out a cigarette from their car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas