Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 08:33 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
I don't understand why some say that $600/month is not going to happen in Dallas. There are plenty of apartments for $600 or less available.
And they are not in a law free Mad Max neighborhood.
WHERE?
I haven't lived in an apartment in DFW since 2001, and we paid more than that back then!

Old 10-30-2015, 08:34 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
WHERE?
I haven't lived in an apartment in DFW since 2001, and we paid more than that back then!
REALLY.

I was paying more than that in rent on a pretty middle-of-the-road place out by DFW airport 17 years ago.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:02 AM

645 posts, read 834,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shekel13 View Post
We are a young couple looking to move to Dallas. We've previously lived in Northern WI and Phoenix, AZ and looking for a change! Here is what we were wondering what you all thought of Dallas on these topics as well as the general feel of the city:

1. We are looking for a low cost of living (We want to pay 600 at the most for an apartment, but cheaper the better!) Pet Friendly (We have a boxer).

2. Lots of culture

3. Lots of local coffee shops with job opportunities, local farmers markets, natural food stores, etc...

4. Lots of beautiful scenery and parks with things to do.

5. How is the traffic?? And the public transportation system?

6. And last but not least, how do YOU like it in Dallas??
1. We are looking for a low cost of living (We want to pay 600 at the most for an apartment, but cheaper the better!) Pet Friendly (We have a boxer).
It was cheap till about 2 years ago. Now a pigeon coup costs around $950. A boxer might be allowed, but you have to check with the apartment authorities.

2. Lots of culture - Yes, its there. A whole lot of mixed culture.

3. Lots of local coffee shops with job opportunities, local farmers markets, natural food stores, etc... - There are, a most of them are far away. But driving is not a problem is a big problem.

4. Lots of beautiful scenery and parks with things to do. - Nada, zero, zilch, zip. Its a concrete jungle.

5. How is the traffic?? And the public transportation system? - Traffic alright. But driving skills are lacking. You might have to have your own car. Its no New York or Chicago.

6. And last but not least, how do YOU like it in Dallas?? Not overwhelmingly good. But decent enough.

But depends where you are living though. If you are in close to uptown, downtown, then yes you will enjoy it. But it all depends on what you really.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:49 AM

769 posts, read 782,104 times
Quote:
WHERE?
Older, non luxury apartments without concierge, fitness center and pool.

Any apartment finder website shows sub $600 availability in decent neighborhoods.

Of course if you want brand new luxury apartments you'll have to spend a lot more $$$.

I find it interesting how perfectly safe and maintained apartments get dissed just because they are old and in "scary" (=with people who make <$30k) neighborhoods.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:51 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I love living in Dallas. I could literally live anywhere in the world that I want with a good lifestyle. I like it here.

But you are delusional if you think you're going to have a good time with that kind of budget.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:04 AM

500 posts, read 583,050 times
Quote:
WHERE?

My last apartment in the Dallas area was back in the late 80's and I was paying around $650 then for a small 1 bedroom and none of that extra fluff stuff was at the complex. It did have a swimming pool.

Any place that is going to be $600 a month, you may want to invest in taking some martial arts classes, self defense and a weapon.

Also, boxers are considered a "bully breed" by most apartment complexes that do have pet breed restrictions.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:43 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,570,917 times
I like living here. 600 is going to be rough.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:01 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
Older, non luxury apartments without concierge, fitness center and pool.

Any apartment finder website shows sub $600 availability in decent neighborhoods.

Of course if you want brand new luxury apartments you'll have to spend a lot more $$$.

I find it interesting how perfectly safe and maintained apartments get dissed just because they are old and in "scary" (=with people who make <$30k) neighborhoods.
Seriously. Where??

My sister paid $600 for a studio in north Dallas / south of LBJ back in 2008. Those go for $800+ now and aren't fancy at all. Built in the 1940's. No covered parking or pool or gated.

There are no more $600 apartments left in The Village or most of East Dallas, unless you want to live next to a halfway house near Baylor.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:13 AM

477 posts, read 1,051,246 times
All of your other questions have been answered, but to respond to your last one, no, I don't like living here. I'm here b/c I was transferred by my company, but I'm looking at getting out of this area in hopefully less than 5 yrs.
Dallas is a place I doubt a lot of people would move to it not for work.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:18 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,570,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globe9 View Post
All of your other questions have been answered, but to respond to your last one, no, I don't like living here. I'm here b/c I was transferred by my company, but I'm looking at getting out of this area in hopefully less than 5 yrs.
Dallas is a place I doubt a lot of people would move to it not for work.
To be fair I moved here for work, and I really do enjoy living here. I moved from a place with mountains, rivers, and tons of public land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas