Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2015, 11:27 PM

7 posts, read 13,335 times

Advertisements

My wife and I (late 20's) are thinking of moving to Dallas in January. I loved everything about Texas while I was stationed in Fort Hood a few years ago. A little about us and factors to consider:

- I work for the Fed, my office will be downtown and, I would love to use the subway/regional train if it is considered reliable. My agency pays for a transit pass and park to ride options.
- I will still have a car to use for everything except the commute to work. I don't mind the serious BURBS as long as the commute to work is an easy ride on the train.
- We have no kids.
- We are not into the club scene but love to go out and try new restaurants and explore good food.
- We are used to paying a lot for rent and would love to keep our costs a little lower for the next couple years to save some money - thinking of a 2 BR apartment and would like to keep it at or under $1100 / mo
- We prefer a quiet and safe community that's not too old

I would love recommendations on which neighborhoods or apartments would fit these criteria. Thank you!

I am planning to explore options based on your recommendations and visit in December to get a feel.

Last edited by Armyvet13; 11-01-2015 at 11:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 05:00 AM

11,819 posts, read 26,732,998 times
Yes, the DART rail is a great option for commuting downtown as long as your office is close enough to the rail stations. They are basically down the center of downtown, so if your office is off at the south end, you will still have to get on a bus or have a long walk.

Look at a map of where the rail stations are, and pick an area near one of them. Http://www.dart.org Personally, I would go towards the northern end of the blue, orange, or green lines, which would be Rowlett, Irving/Las Colinas, and Carrollton. You could also pick almost anywhere on the red line (Plano/Richardson) and be fine, too. You could also choose neighborhoods near the TRE stations: Centreport is nice and in a great location with lots of apartments.

DFW has great restaurants all over the area!

Old 11-02-2015, 07:53 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,747,046 times
Are you working in the Cabell federal building? If so, the train stops within a 5-7 minute walk from there.

Old 11-02-2015, 07:54 AM

19,563 posts, read 17,845,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet13 View Post
My wife and I (late 20's) are thinking of moving to Dallas in January. I loved everything about Texas while I was stationed in Fort Hood a few years ago. A little about us and factors to consider:

- I work for the Fed, my office will be downtown and, I would love to use the subway/regional train if it is considered reliable. My agency pays for a transit pass and park to ride options.
- I will still have a car to use for everything except the commute to work. I don't mind the serious BURBS as long as the commute to work is an easy ride on the train.
- We have no kids.
- We are not into the club scene but love to go out and try new restaurants and explore good food.
- We are used to paying a lot for rent and would love to keep our costs a little lower for the next couple years to save some money - thinking of a 2 BR apartment and would like to keep it at or under $1100 / mo
- We prefer a quiet and safe community that's not too old

I would love recommendations on which neighborhoods or apartments would fit these criteria. Thank you!

I am planning to explore options based on your recommendations and visit in December to get a feel.
Do you work for The Federal Reserve per se or the federal government?

Old 11-02-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
Are you working in the Cabell federal building? If so, the train stops within a 5-7 minute walk from there.
Dealey Plaza - I think the Union station is the closest? Looks like the Red line goes all the way upto union station but the green and orange ones don't.

Is there such a thing as one of the train lines being better than the other in terms of safety? Plano, Carrolton and Las Colinas all seem like good options.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Do you work for The Federal Reserve per se or the federal government?
Just realized 'The Fed' is short for the federal reserve! No, for the federal government. Thanks!

Old 11-02-2015, 10:32 AM

11,819 posts, read 26,732,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armyvet13 View Post
Dealey Plaza - I think the Union station is the closest? Looks like the Red line goes all the way upto union station but the green and orange ones don't.

Is there such a thing as one of the train lines being better than the other in terms of safety? Plano, Carrolton and Las Colinas all seem like good options.
All of the train lines are safe. Plano is more crowded than the others, and will have higher rent, due to the desirable school district. Since schools aren't a priority, I would look at Las Colinas first.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:52 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,470,465 times
Why not just move to Downtown? You'll have a super short commute to work, you'll be centrally located, so a good place to be for exploring the area on weekends, and you could walk or ride the train to a lot of cool things after work. I would hate Dallas if the first place I experienced was Las Colinas, Garland, or Plano. Yuck

Unlike a lot of cities Downtown Dallas isn't super packed with crowds and loud nightlife, and there's really a great sense of community down there. I used to go to Main Street Park a lot and it seemed like everyone walking there dog knew everyone else. I haven't checked rental rates there in a while, but if you're willing to consider a 1 bedroom I think you could find something descent.

Padmapper zip code search: 75201, 75202

Old 11-12-2015, 09:44 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,396,151 times
I second looking downtown first. Wilson for older/lower cost, SoCo for individually owned rentals that might have more wiggle room on negotiating and the collection of units along Commerce/Main. Rents have gone up all over so not sure about your budget. I suspect you won't be able to touch most for under $1500/month.
There are some new units cutting deals over in Deep Ellum close to the DART station.
I would not suggest looking more north than Mockingbird Station just because the vast majority of places you will want to explore will be from there and south.

You might also look over around Bishop Arts. They new Dart streetcar service from union station across the bridge opens that area up to you for the commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: