Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 10:06 PM

11 posts, read 9,053 times

Advertisements

We just moved to TX from the east coast. We are currently renting in Frisco but trying to figure out the best area to settle in. We like being on the outskirts of Dallas as we have moved a LOT in other big cities on the east coast are ready to settle down.

Every time I ask people where people our age like to live, they mention somewhere in the actual city of Dallas. I know it's not "cool" to want to live in the suburbs for people our age and profession, but we quite like it and we're just over living near downtown.

Ideally, I think we'd like somewhere that had a suburban feel, but still maybe an interesting coffee shop and boutique here and there. Nothing against areas within the city of Dallas, but we'd prefer to stick with the suburbs. Any suggestions? We're not opposed to Frisco, as it seems to be growing and there's actually a few fun things to do there (we like sports), but I just don't get around the Metroplex much and I just want to make sure I'm not missing out on any interesting non-city-of-Dallas areas!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 10:14 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Need more info:

1. Do you need to commute to an office anywhere? Need to go to DFW or Love Field on any regular basis? Any other geographic constraints or needs? No use recommending places that don't work for you geographically.

2. Budget to buy or rent. And what size / age / amenities do you expect for that budget? No use recommending places you can't afford.

Also, Dallas is a BIG city, land wise. Living in Dallas doesn't mean living downtown. We live in Dallas on a 1/2 acre lot with mature trees and wild bunnies / foxes / etc. You can't hear any traffic or city noises in our neighborhood. In the next neighborhood over, several homes are on big enough lots to keep a horse or two. People are probably recommending Dallas because it does meet your suburban-feeling criteria while being closer to work (just my guess).

Old 11-08-2015, 10:24 PM

1,041 posts, read 1,192,161 times
City of Dallas does not equal downtown. Many great suburban neighborhoods inside the city limits.

Old 11-08-2015, 10:44 PM

11 posts, read 9,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Need more info:

1. Do you need to commute to an office anywhere? Need to go to DFW or Love Field on any regular basis? Any other geographic constraints or needs? No use recommending places that don't work for you geographically.

2. Budget to buy or rent. And what size / age / amenities do you expect for that budget? No use recommending places you can't afford.

Also, Dallas is a BIG city, land wise. Living in Dallas doesn't mean living downtown. We live in Dallas on a 1/2 acre lot with mature trees and wild bunnies / foxes / etc. You can't hear any traffic or city noises in our neighborhood. In the next neighborhood over, several homes are on big enough lots to keep a horse or two. People are probably recommending Dallas because it does meet your suburban-feeling criteria while being closer to work (just my guess).
1. No, we both travel for work/work from home and are able to really live anywhere.

2. Looking at buying...somewhere in the 250-300k market would be great (I honestly thought I had put that in my original posting!). We're open to homes of any age, honestly.

3. Oh wow, I love the sound of where you are! I suppose that's where I've been bringing in bias from other cities. I had no idea that was available in Dallas. I just haven't been able to figure out where the suburban-feeling neighborhoods in the city of Dallas and if there are any in our price range at all.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:19 PM

500 posts, read 583,675 times
Have you looked in Coppell or Flower Mound?

Closer to DFW Airport, more central location for the DFW Metroplex if you have to travel the area for work. You can find houses on larger properties in that area as well. Great schools and plenty of things to do in the area.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:34 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Arlington north of I30 may be worth looking into. There are nice homes on large lots, though I'm not sure how far your budget will go there. It's very close to Cowboys Stadium and the Ballpark if you want to go to games. There are a lot of restaurants and bars in the area, too. (It's not popular with families because the schools aren't good.) The central location makes it easy to get to both Dallas and Fort Worth for fun.

My husband and I live in Grapevine and we love it. It's similar to Arlington in location and amenities, although our house is on a normal lot. We love to go to downtown Grapevine and eat, shop, and visit the wineries, and the town has two big festivals every year. PM me if you need info on realtors!

Coppell and FloMo are the same as you have in Frisco: family central with nothing fun to do. Also, your budget is too low for both, so you'd get into bidding wars with the families who want to move there for the schools. Coppell also has ridiculously high property taxes.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:22 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
I am a big fan of Tarrant County and like NARL for DINKS (north Arlington for Double Income No Kids) in zip 76012. Beautiful terrain, River Legacy Park Trails, great shopping closeby in either NARL, Grapevine or Southlake. Close to Airport. It has a good elementary school (Butler) but not good middle and high schools so tends to attract young families or DINKS.

I also like HEB -- Hurst, Euless, Bedford for the same reasons. But NARL has more interesting geography.

If you don't need the airport very much, also suggest you look around Joe Pool Lake -- Cedar Hill and Lake Ridge area. Though the shopping and restaurants are not as accessible.

I also like Rockwall a lot!

I am impressed with the shopping and growth in the CoCo burbs but the price point is high compared to the areas I mentioned and you'll get more for your money in Tarrant County or Cedar Hill.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:36 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24reasons View Post
1. No, we both travel for work/work from home and are able to really live anywhere.

2. Looking at buying...somewhere in the 250-300k market would be great (I honestly thought I had put that in my original posting!). We're open to homes of any age, honestly.

3. Oh wow, I love the sound of where you are! I suppose that's where I've been bringing in bias from other cities. I had no idea that was available in Dallas. I just haven't been able to figure out where the suburban-feeling neighborhoods in the city of Dallas and if there are any in our price range at all.
My neighborhood is about 3X your budget so that won't work. Unfortunately, you are in one of the most competitive price points for DFW- wherever you look, expect bidding wars on anything in move-in condition that is priced reasobably.

Within the city of Dallas, you could look at Little Forest Hills, Lochwood, and other neighborhoods on the east side of White Rock Lake. You could also look in North Oak Cliff just south of Kessler Park (Winnetka Heights or Ravinia Heights, Kessler Square). NOC has some of the prettiest terrain in Dallas.

For suburbs, Cedar Hill, south Grand Prairie or Mansfield (opposite side of Joe Pool Lake from Cedar Hill) might work. Your money will go further in southern burbs than where you are now.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:27 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,482,354 times
Many neighborhoods in Dallas have a suburban feel. The east side of White Rock Lake would be a great area to look at TC80 suggests. Zip codes would be 75218, 75228 (only certain sections; I live in Casa Linda Forest and would rec it, but), 75238 (Lake Highlands).

Old 11-09-2015, 10:50 AM

207 posts, read 275,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24reasons View Post
Ideally, I think we'd like somewhere that had a suburban feel, but still maybe an interesting coffee shop and boutique here and there. Nothing against areas within the city of Dallas, but we'd prefer to stick with the suburbs. Any suggestions? We're not opposed to Frisco, as it seems to be growing and there's actually a few fun things to do there (we like sports)
Take a look in/around Downtown McKinney. Gives you the suburban feel, Downtown has a couple of nice boutiques, restaurants and a coffee shop. You are also a relatively short drive from Frisco (Roughriders) and Allen (Revolution & the Americans).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas