Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 10:11 AM

11,819 posts, read 26,665,928 times

Advertisements

Honestly it's not necessary to take cover every time. Last nights storms were strong but there was no reason to take cover since there was no actual tornado. The weather man on Fox 4 said that several times as the storm passed over our house. The news stations here have excellent weather coverage, and those of us who have lived here for many years have learned to watch the news stations when severe weather approaches and heed their advice. If the power goes out, then I take cover!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 10:58 AM

409 posts, read 1,040,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Honestly it's not necessary to take cover every time. Last nights storms were strong but there was no reason to take cover since there was no actual tornado. The weather man on Fox 4 said that several times as the storm passed over our house. The news stations here have excellent weather coverage, and those of us who have lived here for many years have learned to watch the news stations when severe weather approaches and heed their advice. If the power goes out, then I take cover!
I had the TV on at 3:45. He said those in Plano take cover immediately. He said it at least 3 times before I decided to move.

Old 11-17-2015, 11:56 AM

244 posts, read 511,974 times
I live in Plano and the wind was pretty strong but I didn't see any damage on my drive into work this morning. Didn't get to take a look at my roof either hopefully the shingles are all still there. I am over in the Custer / Parker area.

Does anyone know of any damage in the Plano area?

Old 11-17-2015, 12:34 PM

11,819 posts, read 26,665,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taroberts View Post
I had the TV on at 3:45. He said those in Plano take cover immediately. He said it at least 3 times before I decided to move.
I had it on at 3:30 and I'm west of you in Grapevine. He said several times that there was no actual tornado on the ground. The news is saying there was an F0 tornado in Keller. The rest of the damage was straight line winds.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:39 PM

203 posts, read 270,041 times
What's the best weather channel for this type of stuff? I know all of it is hit or miss but we're new here and I don't want to be an alarmist but I also don't want to be foolish. Last night I figured it was much ado about nothing since they didn't mention tornadoes before I went to bed. I guess the situation is more fluid than I realized and I should explore the warnings. I just know that living in NJ, they always like to hype up snowstorms or N'oreasters and it would drive everyone crazy when just a few inches would fall to the ground!

Old 11-17-2015, 01:16 PM

244 posts, read 511,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deenie1 View Post
We're new here so I'm not sure if I was just dreaming. Around 4am I heard sirens and then several minutes later, there was a voice over a loudspeaker. Not sure what they were saying. It seemed to last about 15 minutes. What am I supposed to do in that situation? Wake everyone up and move to the middle of the house? I hate to be so ignorant but I really don't know😳.

Does anyone know what the Voice was saying over the loudspeaker. We heard it talking but couldn't make out what it was saying.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:40 PM

5,249 posts, read 6,335,795 times
Quote:
Does anyone know what the Voice was saying over the loudspeaker.
The voice typically says what kind of warning it is ("tornado warning", "thunderstorm warning" are probably most common) and will occasionally add some extra details, basically an abridged version of a weather radio.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:50 PM

203 posts, read 270,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawekeye2011 View Post
Does anyone know what the Voice was saying over the loudspeaker. We heard it talking but couldn't make out what it was saying.
It reminded me of the loudspeakers for the New York City subway… Who knows what they're saying! It reminded me of the loudspeakers for the New York City subway… Who knows what they're saying!🙄

Old 11-17-2015, 01:53 PM

346 posts, read 495,911 times
Thanks- I was also wondering what it was saying when I heard the sirens in West Plano. It sounded so creepy! I'm from NY and also pretty new to Texas and tornado warnings. I took my iPad and cats into the bathroom (interior room) with me. WFAA on Facebook was very helpful and seemed up to the minute with the info. It said that 2 small tornadoes were spotted in Lewisville. And *something* sure blew over 2 semis! Two pictures were posted- one in Lewisville and another somewhere near Keller, I think. Hope everyone stayed safe!

Last edited by catnip8056; 11-17-2015 at 02:47 PM..

Old 11-17-2015, 01:55 PM

346 posts, read 495,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deenie1 View Post
It reminded me of the loudspeakers for the New York City subway… Who knows what they're saying! It reminded me of the loudspeakers for the New York City subway… Who knows what they're saying!🙄
Yes, exactly!

Or sort of reminded me of the teacher's voice in the Charlie Brown / Peanuts cartoons. Only scarier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas