Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 07:39 AM

205 posts, read 279,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I would guess that Hillcrest and WT White have more kids zoned to those schools who are enrolled in private school than Woodrow does. Just looking at neighborhood demographics vs school demographics, it seems that way.

I guess from my standpoint is that parents in the areas of Hillcrest HS are starting their kids straight out to private school unlike WWHS where you have Lakewood/Stonewall which are very high performing elementaries but then parents take them out to private school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 05:33 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,460,531 times
Funny enough, this is a reputation piece that was sent to me earlier in regards to a post I made in this thread. This right here is one of the main reasons I will not be raising my children in the Park Cities, even though we could swing it. Thank you poster for showing just what the OP could run into with attitudes like this!

Old 12-01-2015, 08:15 PM

409 posts, read 1,044,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parenting101 View Post

That being said, they have 6 years before kid even starts KG so their position is diffrent than someone with school age children.
I have a 4.5 year old child NOW. I purchased this home a yr before I even got pregnant with my first kid.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:26 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,554,983 times
Quote:
For whatever reason, I ran into a ton of Highland Park kids at my time at OU.
Ha, me too. One of them ended up becoming one of my best friends and roommates. Through her I met others and they were all lovely enough people, but perhaps with different expectations. Some of that has faded over time. And ironically...mostly very liberal in their views.

But back to the original question, we wouldn't, even though we might be in a position to eventually. It would always be a stretch $$$ wise and I feel like we can get a similar quality of life with a little longer commute in Coppell.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:48 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,491,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Regarding the main point of the OP - I think if you feel uncomfortable in your "gut" about an area, then don't live there. DFW has multiple places that can provide a very good environment for a child, but more importantly, kids pick up on things from their parents. If you feel uncomfortable somewhere, they likely will as well over time. I do advise researching an area, getting around and picking up on the "vibe" rather than relying solely on intermaweb stories and and such (yes, even on this forum), but if even after doing that a place just feels "off"...then it does.
^ True.

And just to add my 2c (which you really don't need, but still ... ): so much depends on the child. Kids are unique - some may be more motivated in a competitive, upwardly mobile environment, while others could be intimidated by it.

My bro-in-laws family is an example: They live in Lake Forest, Illinois, with a demographic very similar to Highland Park. My older niece has excelled both academically and socially and has a full ride to Purdue starting next year. My younger niece - who on paper is much more "gifted," with a higher IQ, etc. - is also more sensitive and artistic. She did fine in elementary school, but developed a rebellious streak in middle school and was in danger of flunking out. She is now in a private "arts" high school, and is doing much better, although the tuition is prohibitive.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:46 PM

778 posts, read 2,321,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Funny enough, this is a reputation piece that was sent to me earlier in regards to a post I made in this thread. This right here is one of the main reasons I will not be raising my children in the Park Cities, even though we could swing it. Thank you poster for showing just what the OP could run into with attitudes like this!
LOL got something similar in my rep.

Quote:
Most HPSH kids become great leaders & top earners, but posting their flaws makes some feel better & that's ok! If it helps build you up then go on putting them down.....

Someone asked for people's opinion and I gave it, even though I made a point to say there are plenty of fine people in the Park Cities. I saw your post and didn't find anything inflammatory....haters gonna hate, I guess.

Old 12-02-2015, 02:02 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,460,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
LOL got something similar in my rep.

Someone asked for people's opinion and I gave it, even though I made a point to say there are plenty of fine people in the Park Cities. I saw your post and didn't find anything inflammatory....haters gonna hate, I guess.
Agreed...I also grew up there and still currently live in the area. I stated multiple times that it is a very safe area with fantastic local schools. It was the outside environment that I didn't really like.

I wish I could see who gave me the "reputation".

Old 12-02-2015, 04:43 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
Agreed...I also grew up there and still currently live in the area. I stated multiple times that it is a very safe area with fantastic local schools. It was the outside environment that I didn't really like.

I wish I could see who gave me the "reputation".
I was gonna say - the "repping" poster must have missed your MULTIPLE posts on how you grew up there! I mean, really...

Old 12-02-2015, 05:54 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,556,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMom0809 View Post
Just some friendly advice because I have been in your situation before, stressing about the "what ifs" of the unknowns of parenting...... relax and enjoy your time of "baby making" and don't worry about where the child you haven't conceived yet may or may not be going to school. Buy a house for you and your wife (don't let your in-laws dictate this unless they just so happen to be paying your mortgage which sounds like a bad idea for other reasons but I digress.....) make sure it is a decent size with room for a growing family and at least has a good elementary school for your future child. I personally don't see why anyone would want to pay HP taxes if they can live elsewhere and save that money for a growing family. Let's say you get pregnant tomorrow, who is to say in 5 -6 years you will even have the same jobs in Dallas? Maybe your child is super artsy and Booker T is an option? Maybe he/she has a different learning style and home school or a magnet is the best fit? Maybe ya'll decide to become amish, lol! See..too many "unknowns" to worry about who your child may or may not be socializing with. Wait until after you have been a parent for a while and you'll have plenty of time to stress about those things, I promise! You'll learn that it is all about how you raise your child ....so if you raise them to be a snot they will be one. If they are raised around affluent kids and come from an affluent family that keeps them grounded and teaches them hard work and encourages diversity....then your snowflake will be just fine :-) good luck with the baby making!!!!!
Best advice!!

As a parent of three, I'd say the above post is spot on, and is the one thing I would HIGHLY stress in your situation. Whatever you think now that you will need as a future parent WILL change! Hell, it even changes from one kid to two, and two to three. Of course, still be smart and have an overall plan like TexasMom suggests (big enough house for a kid or two, good school, etc), but don't let concerns of what MAY happen in the future be the driving factor of your decisions. Life changes, and when it does, it changes you. Kids are probably the biggest possible cause of those changes. Good Luck!

Old 12-04-2015, 12:24 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Most recent ACT results:

HP - 27.2 class average (equal to 87th+ percentile among all individual test takers, that's seriously impressive)
National Average 21.0
Texas Average 20.6
WW - 19.1 class average (equal to ~39th percentile among all individual test takers)
Of course average scores are going to be lower when a school has 60 % economically disadvantaged students and most all of them are taking the tests (DISD pays for all of them plus AP and IB). What is the percentage of economically disadvantaged at HP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: