Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 10:25 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,764,533 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure why you would pick Allen over Coppell or Flower Mound. Both are a lot less plasticky, strip mall-ey, and both are much more convenient to DFW, as well as lakes and a little bit more natural beauty (to the extent you can call it that in the Dallas area). I had to go to the airport twice this past weekend and it was less than 30 minutes round trip from Flower Mound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 11:47 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeagleEagleDFW View Post
I'm not sure why you would pick Allen over Coppell or Flower Mound. Both are a lot less plasticky, strip mall-ey, and both are much more convenient to DFW, as well as lakes and a little bit more natural beauty (to the extent you can call it that in the Dallas area). I had to go to the airport twice this past weekend and it was less than 30 minutes round trip from Flower Mound.
WTF

Old 11-30-2015, 08:04 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
Both are a lot less plasticky, strip mall-ey
Most of Orange County is as plasticky (where that means middle class people driving fancy cars, walls around middle class neighborhoods, and lots of consumption) and strip mall-ey as it comes, so I'm sure that's not a legitimate downside.

Coastal Orange County has a lot of natural beauty, but much of it as you go inland (Westminster, Garden Grove, Santa Ana and others ) is very flat.

I think if the OP is from an inland OC city, doesn't mind heat, humidity, and mosquitoes in the summer, a colder winter, a lot more rain, and isn't at the beach every day, then DFW suburbs are a pretty solid match for OC.

And I say this as someone who spends 3ish months a year in Huntington Beach, and 9 months near Allen.

I also say keep the house and rent it out. There is no way that homes are going to go down much in value, because the new construction is near non-existent, and beach-convenient property is too valuable.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:18 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,909 times
2nd Coppell/ Valley Ranch

Old 11-30-2015, 01:48 PM

419 posts, read 553,443 times
I've lived in both, so maybe I can provide some perspective. To be accurate, I lived in Belmont Shore (Long Beach) and worked in Newport Beach.

When I first moved here, I did get an OC "vibe" in that the whole area is...the only work I can think of is materialistic. Fashion Island. They would love that here. Status symbols. Big house, nice car, fancy clothes. But the people are super nice and I don't find them overly judgey. It just seems to be the culture. So materialistic isnt quite the right word.

For example, I remember overhearing a teenage conversation at a Panera in Newport Beach that went something like this: "So my parents bought me that BMW X5 that I wanted. But they were too cheap to get the custom rims. Can you believe it? How are people going to know it;s mine?!" I don't think I've ever heard anything remotely close to that here. I didn't have kids at the time, but my coworkers were telling me about birthday party bags that contained IPODs. We aren't close to that level of ridiculous here (yet). Maybe some of it has to do with the the christian community. That's huge btw! Also a big adjustment if you're not used to it.

I live in Twin Creeks. Other than a few closeby developments, I wouldn't choose to live anywhere else in Allen. We have great access to most parts of the northern burbs. I can get to the Village in Allen, Shops at Legacy, Willowbend, Stonebriar Mall/Preston Rd area, etc all in about 15 minutes or less, depending on traffic. DFW is about 35 minutes if not at peak times or an accident. Otherwise it is about an hour.

I do think maybe some of the other communities suggested would work. It depends on what you are looking for. They all have a different feel. As for Allen, the schools in Twin Creeks are great, though I have mine in private currently. I do not intend to have them at the high school but most I know are pleased. I have heard grumbling that they don't cater to the gifted kids as much as Plano West. The city gets crap for having one high school, but like Frisco with their small-school plan, Allen decided to keep one high school to avoid the east vs west rivalry (see Plano). They felt one school would boost community spirit. The class sizes, from what I hear, are actually quite small, and there is something for everyone. Clubs and sports you couldn't imagine. The split schedule helps with traffic, allows students to hold part time jobs, play sports without cutting into study time, etc. There are pros and cons. They are building a new freshman center and a new STEM school (possibly right near twin creeks).

Old 11-30-2015, 03:19 PM

6 posts, read 5,753 times
My sister lives in Somerset, which is one of the Twin Creeks neighborhoods, and they really like it. Their house was built by Sanders Custom Homes aka Huntington. Overall, I think it's a nice development - some lots overlook TC golf course, and their particular neighborhood shares an entrance with Wimberley Place, which is TC's gated community.

They have a new development that was built right in front of them (I believe Ashton Woods - not my favorite builder, but not bad). They also have a new neighborhood in process at Custer & McDermott, which is also AISD and city of Allen, but bordering the city of Plano, which is nice from a convenience standpoint. Neither of these developments are Twin Creeks, but they are adjacent to TC.

I echo what KariBeth said about Twin Creeks being a great choice in Allen. In some ways, it reminds me of a newer version of Coto, but with less interesting terrain. I know my sister likes the proximity to pretty much anything in Allen and the surrounding suburbs. I'll generally meet them at Watters Creek, which is pretty easy to access from all the TC neighborhoods and has a lot of nice walkable shopping and restaurant options.

I am not sure whether you are looking for brand new construction, but Watters Crossing is another pretty subdivision in the area. It's almost walking distance to Watters Creek, and the neighborhood has a nice pond, park, on-site elementary, club house, etc.

They also have new construction near Watters Creek that is part of the Montgomery Farm development. It looks very nice, but prices should be 500K + in those neighborhoods.

There are also newer neighborhoods closer to 121, but I'm not as familiar with those. Suncreek, Watters Crossing & any of the Twin Creeks neighborhoods would all be really good bets.

I am personally not the biggest fan of the residential in East Allen proper. It's a very safe area, but the neighborhoods just don't seem quite as nice, and it seems like they aren't holding up as well. West side is also more convenient to the neighboring areas, if that is a factor.

My sis' family really likes that you don't have to leave Allen for retail. Coppell area is very residential, so you have to drive to neighboring communities to get to the malls and stores they have in Allen proper, if that is a factor.

DFW is a large area with many great suburbs! I'm sure you will find plenty of options that will suit your needs!

Old 11-30-2015, 05:03 PM

19,793 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistisan View Post
North Dallas, Frisco/Allen/Plano - Great Schools, safe, no palm trees, home prices are still reasonable though prices appreciated 30% the past 3 years, $350-$450K home equates to a $1M+ home in Orange County. Summer is hot, you won't see people walking on sidewalks, winter (can be cold) and again not many pedestrians. You will drive to everywhere, great sport clubs, obviously no mountains and ocean, for that you will have to drive 5+ hours. I would suggest Zip 75025, 75024, Central Plano, which gives you close proximity to highways and shops both in Plano and rapidly expanding Frisco. DFW can be reached in 30 minutes if your location is close to 121.
Err.....

1. There are lots of palm trees in both Dallas and Collin Counties. I can see some out my front door, Preston Hollow/Dallas County, now by the glow of my neighbor's porch lights.

2. People walk, run, golf and or bike virtually every day of the year here. I'm one of those people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas