Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2015, 07:27 PM

497 posts, read 696,396 times

Advertisements

As a consultant, I have to purchase my own health insurance. I won't post what I really want to say about the 2016 options, but I do want to know if anyone has selected Oscar as their 2016 health insurance provider.

I'm intrigued by this new entrant in the health insurance industry and would really like to support them, but I'm also a bit hesitant. I should note that I am healthy (at least I think I am), and do not require frequent doctor visits or prescription meds.

Would like to get some feedback from anyone who has chosen Oscar and their reasons for doing so. Or, did you go with another provider/plan that you really like. I should note that I am posting this in the Dallas forum because I can only purchase insurance that is offered in my particular location (Dallas County).

And yes, I have waited till the last minute to make a decision. But that is what happens when the options are ultra crappy and beyond ridiculously expensive for what they offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 08:49 PM

32 posts, read 56,236 times
I did a lot of research on the options. The reviews for Oscar are really bad. For example, confusion about what doctors and facilities are in-network/covered and you pay if Oscar gives you the wrong information. The doctor/hospital network was very limited.

United Healhcare is only offering an EPO that acts like a HMO so I didn't look into the plans. Aetna and Cigna have really limited their provider/hospital network and do not cover anything out of network. BCBS has the best doctor network but only offering a HMO to individuals.

Good luck!

Old 12-14-2015, 09:17 AM

212 posts, read 459,619 times
As a person who works in the Health Care consulting space, I'd say you are fine going with one of the plans from Oscar so long as your provider is in network and you are in relatively healthy condition. My answer might change if your family has a history of serious health conditions, but all other things being equal, it's good value for the dollar.

The only true way to create savings is by narrowing the network and unfortunately, we live in one of the most expensive parts of the country from a health care perspective with little to no real correlation between cost and quality occuring.

Aside from Anesthesia services which are typically out of network, I would question why you'd want to go to an out of network provider. Again, there generally isn't a correlation that I've seen in quality improvements or outcomes versus a typical in network provider.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:56 AM

Thanks for the replies. My main concern with Oscar is that they don't have a database of doctors that you can review prior to selecting the plan - at least I haven't seen one. And my PCP is not participating - but she is not participating in a lot of the bronze plans. I at least want to see if other providers near me are available.

I did check out some of the reviews/posts on Oscar's Facebook page, and they are not favorable. Looks like some providers/hospitals in NY are dropping the plan.

I guess for this year I will carefully review my options, look at my 2014 health expenses and decide what will work best for me. I can only hope and pray that 2017 does not have as many crazy, expensive changes to the ACA plans.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aexchange View Post
The only true way to create savings is by narrowing the network and unfortunately, we live in one of the most expensive parts of the country from a health care perspective with little to no real correlation between cost and quality occuring.
Just curious, but do you know which states/cities may have lower costs - therefore cheaper plans? I am not tied to Dallas (although I like living here) and can work from anywhere. Not sure it would provide much savings (especially since I don't pay state income tax), but I may consider a move at some point should the costs for individual plans increase and the coverage they provide decreases.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:15 PM

212 posts, read 459,619 times
Throw a dart at any major city in the US and it is likely to be dominated by a near monopoly of hospital systems in that region who in turn drive up the cost of care for the insurer (Chicago, San Francisco, hell even Tulsa). Costs are going to be fluid and changing all the time. I doubt you'd be able to move enough to make it worthwhile unless you moved every year.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:31 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,015 times
not using nor planning to use them but go oscar!! support your startups!!

*disclaimer i work and am invested in startup bubble*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: