Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 02:48 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPrincess View Post
Yes, the lofts that you mentioned are the ones that I was looking at . I love your suggestion of taking my son there and checking out both towns. My boss agreed to send me out there for a few days, in the beggining of the summer, to see how I'd like it...I'll just pay for my son's air fair . It's great to at least have a couple of towns in mind. Thanks so much!!
I'd take him up on it then. I can pretty well bet that when your son sees all of the kids his age walking around and hanging out, going to Starbucks, the movies, etc at Firewheel that he'd go w/ that. The apartments/condos are RIGHT there literally. Even a few weeks ago on a Friday night when it was FREEZING COLD that place was packed w/ teens and families out walking around enjoying it. The waterpark Hawaiian Falls is not too far away either (about two miles). You could literally stay w/in a 2-3 mile radius and find everything you need to keep him happy and active be it sports, eating, shopping, hanging out, parks, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 06:12 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
I don't mean to be ditzy, but what is a loft and how is it different from an apartment or condo?

Old 02-06-2008, 06:30 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,237,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I don't mean to be ditzy, but what is a loft and how is it different from an apartment or condo?

Lofts are usually high rises, but not always, and have high ceilings.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:27 PM

32 posts, read 58,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I'd take him up on it then. I can pretty well bet that when your son sees all of the kids his age walking around and hanging out, going to Starbucks, the movies, etc at Firewheel that he'd go w/ that. The apartments/condos are RIGHT there literally. Even a few weeks ago on a Friday night when it was FREEZING COLD that place was packed w/ teens and families out walking around enjoying it. The waterpark Hawaiian Falls is not too far away either (about two miles). You could literally stay w/in a 2-3 mile radius and find everything you need to keep him happy and active be it sports, eating, shopping, hanging out, parks, etc.
Wow, this is great! My son just turned 12 a couple of weeks ago and he's definitely becoming a "young man". This is a very sensitive age for him (almost a teen...YIKES) so I really want to make sure that he's comfortable with this move. I don't want him to end up hating me for it .

But the more I read about Dallas on this forum, the more excited I'm getting. I hear you guys have NO state taxes??? Also, my boss was telling me that the public schools are really good, and the state offers Awesome in-state college tuition assistance?? The cost of living is definitely lower than here. But is the summer heat really as dreadful as everyone makes it out to be?? How long does it last?

Old 02-07-2008, 12:37 PM

212 posts, read 1,153,721 times
No state income taxes. We still have sales (about 8.25%, depending on where you are) and property taxes!

Old 02-07-2008, 12:56 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPrincess View Post
Wow, this is great! My son just turned 12 a couple of weeks ago and he's definitely becoming a "young man". This is a very sensitive age for him (almost a teen...YIKES) so I really want to make sure that he's comfortable with this move. I don't want him to end up hating me for it .

But the more I read about Dallas on this forum, the more excited I'm getting. I hear you guys have NO state taxes??? Also, my boss was telling me that the public schools are really good, and the state offers Awesome in-state college tuition assistance?? The cost of living is definitely lower than here. But is the summer heat really as dreadful as everyone makes it out to be?? How long does it last?
Oh my....... that age is SOOOO fun The whole boy/girl thing and all. My 13 yo wants to move NO!!! I'd have to clean out closets and all of the "junk drawers". Just for the fun of it, geez. Kids. Mine LOVES going up to the mall w/ her friends. They are everywhere up there so it won't be hard to find a group(s) of kids his age at all (just not during the day when they are in school ). He will see PLENTY of kids his age of all walks of life and everything. I really like it and the city, the mall owners and everyone has done a good job of keeping it under control and the kids behave pretty good. I heard the other day that Southlake is wanting to put in a curfew because of the kids loitering and causing trouble at their "outdoor" shopping area. So far we have not had that problem (thank goodness).

That is right, no state income tax. We have the sales tax and in most cities of the metroplex it is 8.25%. Property taxes are a bit higher but it pays for our schools, roads, county community colleges, etc. The schools are good. I've been VERY pleased. If you come when school is still in call ahead and ask to come by and visit. As for college being a resident of the state and going to a state school it is MUCH lower. Currently the state also has the top 10% rule. The top 10% of kids in a graduating class are automatically accepted into the state universities. It helps and hurts.

As for the summer heat........... depends on what your used to. I've been here all of my 42 years and I've visited MANY places where it was MUCH HOTTER and had MUCH HIGHER HUMIDITY! I mean REALLY BAD where you literally feel like stripping and EVERYTHING sticks to you. I've not done that here even though it does get hot and humid. There are some that have come from the northeast that say that the humidity here is nothing like up there in the summers. I don't like cold freezing weather so I'm not going to complain about our hot summers any more. Most apartments have a pool. The waterparks are PACKED EVERYDAY in the summer so there are plenty of ways to stay cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas