Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 11:25 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,984,317 times

Advertisements

Thx 1969..
No offense taken at all.
Knock back a shiner and a whataburger for me. My mom is visiting us for a whole month... I'll look for the Mexican food when she leaves!! (Home cooked mexican can't be
Beat).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 11:18 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,448,982 times
I lived all over metro Atlanta for 20 years, and have been in DFW for 9 months. Atlanta is not far behind DFW in metro population, but has about half the roads to accommodate drivers, if that. Just look at a map of both and you'll see it immediately. That was the first thing I noticed after moving here......the incredible amount of freeways, feeder roads, etc. Now, it's much more hilly in north Georgia than in North Texas, so cost to build roads is probably higher, but IMO poor planning has also played a role in Atlanta's infamous traffic nightmare. And every time they think they can get a handle on it, they do something incredibly stupid like putting the new Braves stadium at the Cobb cloverleaf. This will not only worsen the already awful traffic in that area, but will make it an absolute debacle for people who live in other parts of town who want to go to a game. Imagine having to come from Gwinnett, Rockdale or Henry County to get to that spot and into your seat for a 7:05 first pitch on a weeknight. YIKES!

Oh, and the toll roads in Atlanta are coming. GA 400 is already one, and a new one is under construction on the northwest side in Cherokee and Cobb counties. There was going to be an "outer perimeter" (like the PGBT out from 635) to help offset traffic on 285, but it never passed. Everyone wants to complain about the traffic there, but no one wants roads built near their home.

The one airport thing was always a pet peeve of mine in Atlanta, too. They're proud of it being the "busiest in the world", and they market that somehow. That's just stupid and arrogant to me. Just about every other city that size has 2 commercial airports, and a few have 3. I love the convenience of being able to choose between airports here, as I did when we lived in Chicago as well.

Personally, I much prefer the topography of north Georgia, because hills and greenery have always been my thing, but other than that DFW hands down for me. I love the massive sky here. The sunrises and sunsets are quite beautiful!

I can easily see why a native North Texan wouldn't like living in the Atlanta area.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:30 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,278,915 times
Geez! I wouldn't live in Atlanta for anything, but north GA is beautiful. Every time I visited GA and stayed awhile and then landed at DFW and left the parking lot, I already missed the Georgia trees. There is no comparison in the landscape of the Dallas area and north GA. When one is around trees for a while, one can see how DFW is lacking in them.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:29 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,753,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
I lived all over metro Atlanta for 20 years, and have been in DFW for 9 months. Atlanta is not far behind DFW in metro population, but has about half the roads to accommodate drivers, if that. Just look at a map of both and you'll see it immediately. That was the first thing I noticed after moving here......the incredible amount of freeways, feeder roads, etc. Now, it's much more hilly in north Georgia than in North Texas, so cost to build roads is probably higher, but IMO poor planning has also played a role in Atlanta's infamous traffic nightmare. And every time they think they can get a handle on it, they do something incredibly stupid like putting the new Braves stadium at the Cobb cloverleaf. This will not only worsen the already awful traffic in that area, but will make it an absolute debacle for people who live in other parts of town who want to go to a game. Imagine having to come from Gwinnett, Rockdale or Henry County to get to that spot and into your seat for a 7:05 first pitch on a weeknight. YIKES!

Oh, and the toll roads in Atlanta are coming. GA 400 is already one, and a new one is under construction on the northwest side in Cherokee and Cobb counties. There was going to be an "outer perimeter" (like the PGBT out from 635) to help offset traffic on 285, but it never passed. Everyone wants to complain about the traffic there, but no one wants roads built near their home.

The one airport thing was always a pet peeve of mine in Atlanta, too. They're proud of it being the "busiest in the world", and they market that somehow. That's just stupid and arrogant to me. Just about every other city that size has 2 commercial airports, and a few have 3. I love the convenience of being able to choose between airports here, as I did when we lived in Chicago as well.

Personally, I much prefer the topography of north Georgia, because hills and greenery have always been my thing, but other than that DFW hands down for me. I love the massive sky here. The sunrises and sunsets are quite beautiful!

I can easily see why a native North Texan wouldn't like living in the Atlanta area.
We only have one hot lane on 85 that is optional. The toll lane on 400 is gone. They are building a hot lane on 75 but that is also optional.

I guess everyone is different and prefer what they are accustomed too!

Old 12-30-2015, 02:43 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,753,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969 View Post
Well again, I wasn't out to bash Atlanta, or Georgia. I was expressing my dissatisfaction, and the fact that it wasn't home. If someone feels I was, I'm sorry, but I think it is a matter of perspective. I think this sort of feeling must be normal for most anyone. We knew many people in Ga from other states, and without exception, all of them wished to be back home, wherever that was. Although, while this may be difficult to believe or except, all the Texas ex-pats expressed it with greater fervor, and always said the same thing "It isn't Texas".

Anyway, I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone.
No problem. I just thought both cities had more similarities than differences since they are large southern cities. Its not like comparing say DFW to the Bay area or DC/Bmore area where you know immediately there will be big differences . We must know different people because everyone that I know here from Dallas say Atlanta is a more fun city overall especially if you like being out and about but who knows! Most people that I know say the traffic is lighter in Dallas and Atlanta is a more fun city with more stuff to do besides shopping and eating. I don't think anyone outside of TX wants their state to be TX or any other state that isnt their state but this was a good conversation. Not here to argue back and forth. Thanks!

Old 12-30-2015, 02:48 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post

I like the big sky here too. Grew up in East TN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas