Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 06:15 AM

104 posts, read 432,282 times

Advertisements

We finally got the information we needed for our house-hunting research. Presently, my husband is working in Plano (W. Plano Parkway) and we had originally hoped to find a house nearby. About a week or so ago, we got the news that the office would be relocating but not sure where. We now know that the office will relocate in about 2 years to Arlington (near Six Flags area).

What I need to know--where would be a good place to buy a NEW home that would be half-way between Plano and Arlington? Would really like to keep the commute to a minimum if at all possible.

I can't thank you enough for all your help.

P.S. Have also posted this on the Ft. Worth board as well but have not received any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 06:40 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
Wow, well, that's a tough one. I would be tempted to rent for two years in Plano and then buy something once the move happens to Arlington and then look at new communities south of the metroplex (I probably wouldn't live in Arlington although posters say there are some nice parts). But otherwise, maybe Coppell?

Old 02-05-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Wow, well, that's a tough one. I would be tempted to rent for two years in Plano and then buy something once the move happens to Arlington and then look at new communities south of the metroplex (I probably wouldn't live in Arlington although posters say there are some nice parts). But otherwise, maybe Coppell?
Thank you for your reply. You can see why I am a little frustrated. Unfortunately, renting is not an option for us because of two things: we need the tax writeoff of a house and the company is moving us. If, we were to rent, we would have to pay for the move to Arlington which could be quite costly. We are older and would not be able to do it ourselves.

I had thought about Coppell and perhaps Grapevine. Do you happen to know if the Belt Line Road is a busy road?

Old 02-05-2008, 09:56 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailing Spouse View Post
Thank you for your reply. You can see why I am a little frustrated. Unfortunately, renting is not an option for us because of two things: we need the tax writeoff of a house and the company is moving us. If, we were to rent, we would have to pay for the move to Arlington which could be quite costly. We are older and would not be able to do it ourselves.

I had thought about Coppell and perhaps Grapevine. Do you happen to know if the Belt Line Road is a busy road?
Coppell would be a great area and with great schools as well. So would Grapevine, Southlake and Trophy Club.

But, Beltline? There is Beltline, and then there's Beltline... and then there's Beltline again! What I mean by that, is that Beltline begins and ends and begins and ends and changes name and changes names back all across the metroplex. And, yes, it's rather busy regardless of what piece of it you might be on.

Was there something specific about it you wanted to know? As far as commuting from Coppell and the others to Plano, I635 to George Bush Tollway (161/190) would be the best route to/from and would be against traffic in the a.m. and p.m. as well.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 02-05-2008 at 10:16 AM..

Old 02-05-2008, 09:57 AM

75 posts, read 244,728 times
You should certainly sit down with a Realtor and a map and work thru this....
Grapevine would have been my guess, unless you can afford Southlake.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasLoanGuy View Post
You should certainly sit down with a Realtor and a map and work thru this....
Grapevine would have been my guess, unless you can afford Southlake.
We will be doing this. Just wanted to do some preliminary research while we are waiting for company relocation offer to be finalized.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
Coppell would be a great area and with great schools as well. So would Grapevine, Southlake and Trophy Club.

But, Beltline? There is Beltline, and then there's Beltline... and then there's Beltline again! What I mean by that, is that Beltline begins and ends and begins and ends and changes name and changes names back all across the metroplex. And, yes, it's rather busy regardless of what piece of it you might be on.

Was there something specific about it you wanted to know? As far as commuting from Coppell and the others to Plano, I635 to George Bush Tollway (161/190) would be the best route to/from and would be against traffic in the a.m. and p.m. as well.
Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:58 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,254,649 times
Since you like new construction, you may want to look at Las Colinas. Even if you have to move in a couple of years to Arlington or Mansfield, you can still keep the property as a rental or sell it. That's an area that is still appreciating well. Have your husband check Lakewood too. There are some old homes that have been torn down and rebuilt with really nice ones around 400K...

Naima

Old 02-05-2008, 09:22 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
So, trailingspouse, what do the other employees think about this move? Is everyone moving with them to Arlington? That's a pretty big jump to make esp if a lot of their employees live in Collin County.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
Since you like new construction, you may want to look at Las Colinas. Even if you have to move in a couple of years to Arlington or Mansfield, you can still keep the property as a rental or sell it. That's an area that is still appreciating well. Have your husband check Lakewood too. There are some old homes that have been torn down and rebuilt with really nice ones around 400K...

Naima

Thanks for the information, you have been very helpful. I will check definitely check out the cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas