Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 08:37 AM

6 posts, read 79,626 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I'm new to this site, but have found the postings very informative. My husband and I are young professionals looking to relocate from Lubbock, TX to the Dallas area. We would like to buy a home in an affordable, but nice and safe part of Dallas that is not too far from downtown. From my research so far, the Irving housing market looks like a good value for the money, but I don't know anything about the area. I would appreciate any information anybody could provide about this part of town. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 09:44 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,798,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayleebear View Post
Hi All,
I'm new to this site, but have found the postings very informative. My husband and I are young professionals looking to relocate from Lubbock, TX to the Dallas area. We would like to buy a home in an affordable, but nice and safe part of Dallas that is not too far from downtown. From my research so far, the Irving housing market looks like a good value for the money, but I don't know anything about the area. I would appreciate any information anybody could provide about this part of town. Thank you!
I believe you'd really like the northern part of Irving, Las Colinas (see realtor.com zips 75038/75039/75062) and the northernmost part, Valley Ranch (zip 75063) as these areas are mostly populated by young professionals such as yourself.

It is a very clean, modern area where both residential and business districts cohesively exist, with every conceivable shopping convenience centrally located, as well as restaurants/sport bars of all types scattered about, along with a canal and walking trails throughout.

In addition, it's only 15 minutes to DFW airport (west on I635) and 30 minutes to downtown Dallas (via 114) as well as a short commute to Ft. Worth, with easy access on I635 Freeway and George Bush Tollway (161) to any other parts of the DFW metroplex.

Irving Convention & Visitors Bureau

The Las Colinas Association

Irving, Texas (TX) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Hope this helps and good luck in your move!

Old 02-05-2008, 08:48 PM

Default Thank you bstyet2be!

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate the very useful information and links!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-25-2012 at 12:58 PM..

Old 02-05-2008, 11:12 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,798,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayleebear View Post
Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate the very useful information and links!
You're very welcome & good luck!

Old 02-06-2008, 12:55 PM

35 posts, read 276,624 times
Quick question... everyone on here always talks about north dallas/las colinas, is south irving (i.e. 75060) completely uninhabitable for young professionals as well? I've found some nice homes for cheaper prices there, just wondering?

Old 02-06-2008, 01:05 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcaughron View Post
Quick question... everyone on here always talks about north dallas/las colinas, is south irving (i.e. 75060) completely uninhabitable for young professionals as well? I've found some nice homes for cheaper prices there, just wondering?

The term "nice" is very subjective. South Irving is a TOTALLY different city than the Las Colinas area. Irving is one of the older cities around Dallas. They have done probably less than many others to help revitalize their aging areas. Also be aware that some parts of Irving border some VERY industrail areas. You have MANY trucking/freight terminals in the area bordering Irving & Dallas. I'd expect them to be MUCH cheaper than the houses further to the north.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:55 PM

Default i noticed that too

jcaughron, i also noticed much lower home prices in the southern parts of irving and wondered the same thing myself. the homes themselves seem to be in good condition. a 'nice' house can easily be found for under $120k. thanks momof2dfw for the information. maybe paying 40k to 50k more for the same house further north might be worth it.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:36 AM

80 posts, read 417,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
The term "nice" is very subjective. South Irving is a TOTALLY different city than the Las Colinas area. Irving is one of the older cities around Dallas. They have done probably less than many others to help revitalize their aging areas. Also be aware that some parts of Irving border some VERY industrail areas. You have MANY trucking/freight terminals in the area bordering Irving & Dallas. I'd expect them to be MUCH cheaper than the houses further to the north.
I live down in the 'southeastern' part of Irving, and the light industrial places that are in Dallas are separated from Irving by a nice big greenbelt park area. We never notice them, and the area is quiet. Lots of parks and older folks. Some older houses. There's a 4br house for sale in the area (brand new) for $210k. 1/2 a mile away there are some apartment complexes that are older and obviously overpopulated.

The schools are a different story, however....

Old 02-11-2008, 12:34 PM

702 posts, read 2,722,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I grew up in south Irving and think otherwise. The southern portion isn't nearly as nice as Las Colinas/Valley Ranch area, but it's still nice none the less. Irving is also redeveloping very nicely. There is a project slated for the Historic downtown that will make the area very attractive. It will surpass 500 acres and make it very pedestrian friendly. The Texas stadium site will also be redeveloped next year into an extension of the already growing Las Colinas business district. The city is also combatting crummy landlords and is aggresively focusing on the redevelopment of aging apartments.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:39 PM

702 posts, read 2,722,532 times
Here are some old pictures that I took a few years ago and yes this is SOUTH Irving.

Millenium Fountain on Irving Blvd.

The city's main Library

Centennial Park

and the Irving Blvd. bridge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas