Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 04:49 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,408,992 times

Advertisements

It may depend upon the make up of your employer but the bigger companies in Houston were very international not southern at all. Also Houston had executive apartment options for those who were between jobs or on overseas assignments for months at an end. These all were furnished and available to anyone from the large apartment complexes near big job hubs.

Sounds like you will be fine to me with that intern experience under your belt.

Dont let me confuse you the international corporate culture in Houston was much more relaxed dress wise than the NYC area I worked for several years. Houston is more an engineering industry city so they have engineering quirks personaality wise more so than Southern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 05:03 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,258,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Stay away from south of I-30 unless you are looking at North Oak Cliff.

Main difference between northern and southern manners is you will think we talk too slow and therefore think slowly. Big mistake! We pay more attention to everyday niceties and politeness. Say hello before asking a question when approaching someone, etc. Expect people on the street to smile and say hi; don't look at them like they're crazy. Smile back; costs nothing and doesn't hurt.

Maybe these things seem old hat to you, maybe not. I can always tell someone from the NE by their brisk voice and brusque manner (so can everyone else). If anyone tells you "well bless your heart" it's NOT a complement.
OP: Most of this is untrue. People are just as rude, polite, smart, dumb down here as they are in the northeast. The majority of Dallas-Fort Worth area residents aren't originally from Texas. It is true that "Bless your Heart" is another way of saying, well, you know..

Old 01-10-2016, 05:47 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,978,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterMaybeJogger View Post
....that maybe aren't a big deal in the Northeast, but will offend Texans. What are some absolute no-no's working in Dallas that might not be super obvious to newcomers?
Honking; car horn blowing.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:35 PM

500 posts, read 583,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
OP: Most of this is untrue. People are just as rude, polite, smart, dumb down here as they are in the northeast. The majority of Dallas-Fort Worth area residents aren't originally from Texas. It is true that "Bless your Heart" is another way of saying, well, you know..
THIS!

Native Texan and Southerner and I am a rare breed around the Dallas area nowadays.
Going to the real South to see my college kiddo IS the real deal. Not in Dallas.
Act professional and all is good

Yes, try looking on the link I posted earlier that SMU students post sublets available.

There is an apartment complex up in Richardson that is short term.
IMHO, too far for a college kid, my college kid would not live there if it was up to her.
She would prefer closer to Uptown. Maybe contact The Shire and inquire if they have other locations.
The Shire - Apartments in Richardson, TX

Old 01-16-2016, 08:10 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,058 times
Yes, the SMU sublet is going to be your best bet. You can sign a short-term contract at the Village IIRC but at a much inflated rate (the best rates, for whatever reason, are usually for 10 or 11 month leases). You should be able to get a nice apartment or bedroom within an apartment in the Uptown or SMU area for $1000/month on a summer sublet.

You could maybe check out the Medical District as well, though I don't know if you are going to find as many sublets in that area.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:36 PM

5 posts, read 5,378 times
Looks like another North-Easterner College Student going to Texas...seems like everyone now is using texas as a spot...wonder where this information came from? I recall talking about it a lot at an educational place...perhaps now information has traveled here to the forms...Wyoming and Nevada are not bad places, either.

I was down in TX 2 years ago but came back due to a job opportunity...enjoyed every bit when I was out of state. It's affordable, the food is cheap the living is not bad,the variety of people actually do talk to you, and there's plenty to do and see. Only problem flooding and tornadoes but if you have car you can pretty much avoid those areas...the weather climate is almost tropical too. I regret coming back here to CT...It's still not affordable and the state is a mess where you can't even get a $10 buck job or are over-worked and have to bounce between 40 people just to get, if maybe anything at all. all because I listen to poor intuition of CT-Loving parents scared of college student going out-of-state and are land-locked/loyal to this state because of an over-expensive house...I really don't consider CT home after all the subtle-forms of racism and hard-living circumstances i've suffered 26 years of my life here...I really do not care for this tax-ridden state, job-opportunity-less rich and poor gap state at this point of time. CT has failed me too many times and it's showing obliviously through the poor economics here and the rigged school systems that everyone who is not a CEO is now taking hits...the middle-class is constantly being gorged with taxes for governors and other locals who are more interested in filling stocks than the economical health of the state for future generations.

I suggest to you to get an apartment near north-houston and talk to the locals, get to know the area...CT snobbery doesn't exactly work down there...it will turn people off and your like a guest until you become a resident lol...it's also the quickest way of isolating yourself needlessly. Intelligence is always good, though. The roads are different two single lane/two lines like-highways with white dotted lines not exactly yellow like up here.

If you drive like tradition in CT with all the road-rage, bumper-hogging, horn-honking aggression and cutting off you will also get in trouble, fast and possibly **** people off. There were at least 5 bad drivers out of an entire month i've been there with another student..word of warning Texas PD does not play and is looking for revenue...if you come with bad driving and or out-of-date stickers and out of state you will be hit.

Also, watch out for the bums that live under the bridges and of course, practice safety/common sense. Lock your car as some people will go up to your car, especially if it's shiny looking and try to open it! These are usually the prostitutes though...

Last edited by SoundTran; 01-18-2016 at 08:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas