Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 07:49 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
We like Bread Winners in Dallas and Poor Richards in Plano. A friend swears by Smoke for brunch.
I went to Poor Richards, and was really disappointed after reading the reviews. I'll look into the other 2.

Buzzbrews in Dallas was pretty good, they get points for being 24 hours, but pretty spendy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 08:18 PM

554 posts, read 1,196,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
The arguments the OP are so vague I'm starting to think they're just getting repeated to ruffle the natives.
I doubt the Dallas natives are ruffled. Dallas natives are the most hypercritical when it comes to anything to do with Dallas. As a transplant from CA I have grown tired of defending this city to the people born and raised here.

As for food...tell that to the 10s and 10s of pounds I gained after moving here. Oh! Go to Uchi!

Old 01-12-2016, 08:28 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Star Cafe in Frisco is great, good food only bad is long lines usually. It only does Breakfast and lunch. Its near Starwood hence the name.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:52 PM

9 posts, read 11,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I agree about valet parking...I loathe it. It's enough to keep me from going back to certain restaurants, particularly some along Knox and Henderson. Plus some of the staff in those places act like they're doing you a favor by letting you eat there.
Knox-Henderson is so overrated. The last time I was there (which was only a few months ago) I thought to myself, "Why is this place considered 'hip'?" It's tiny, there aren't THAT many things to do besides eat or drink beer. I never understood the hype around that area.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:55 PM

9 posts, read 11,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissan View Post
Agree with the OP here, being from the northeast and having easy access to NYC, Philly, and DC. The food here is good, but not on the level of NYC. I've come to live w that, but what I can't find comparable here is the dining experience as a whole. Many of the places here just lack that X factor (the ambiance, buzz/energy, location, clientele). The food at a restaurant may be great, but driving to a strip center to experience it while seeing a patron or two in shorts eating next to me, under horrible lighting, is disappointing. Depends on the restaurant, of course, but after almost 2 yrs here, it's not easy to find places that match the vibe you get at the nicer spots in the NE.

Oh, and still looking for a great Italian restaurant and middle eastern tapas.

Luckily, we get to go to NY/DC/Philly at least 1x a mth to get our fix.
I agree! Although I grew up here, I lived away from here for a few years (thankfully) and Dallas in general isn't as "cosmopolitan" as other large cities. There's a weird vibe here. It ain't NYC or Chicago that's for sure.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:15 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
The arguments the OP are so vague I'm starting to think they're just getting repeated to ruffle the natives.
Probably, but it does give people a chance to pipe in about some of their favorite places that might not be found otherwise. :-)

Old 01-12-2016, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
Anybody know of a good breakfast place in the DFW area?

New Orleans had fantastic breakfast restaurants. Philadelphia had great breakfast restaurants. Restaurants that had lines before they opened, but were always worth the wait.

All the places I've found here that review "well" that I've tried are just cheap. Lots of cheap food at a cheap price.
What type of breakfast place? Diners? Mid-scale? For a diner type breakfast we love Cindi's, original location. Also enjoy Crossroads Diner. Desperately miss Kel's, which closed a while back. For something more brunchy, we have always enjoyed Dream Cafe in the Uptown area (haven't visited the Addison location). There's another diner type place in Addison that has lines outside the door on Saturday mornings, it's name is escaping me. I've not been to Philadelphia, but agree that New Orleans has fantastic breakfast places.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:59 AM

Just thought of another good breakfast place. Lucky's Cafe in Oak Lawn.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:34 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
Anybody know of a good breakfast place in the DFW area?

New Orleans had fantastic breakfast restaurants. Philadelphia had great breakfast restaurants. Restaurants that had lines before they opened, but were always worth the wait.

All the places I've found here that review "well" that I've tried are just cheap. Lots of cheap food at a cheap price.
Yeah really. I have yet to find a really great breakfast place near me. Cafe Brazil doesn't count! And there's no way I could drag Mr. BigD to Oak Lawn on a Sunday morning for breakfast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDallas View Post
Knox-Henderson is so overrated. The last time I was there (which was only a few months ago) I thought to myself, "Why is this place considered 'hip'?" It's tiny, there aren't THAT many things to do besides eat or drink beer. I never understood the hype around that area.
Me either. It seems to be designed solely to ruin your tires with potholes and suck money out of your pockets with overpriced "trendy" restaurants and "free" valet parking.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:07 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
DFW has a couple of really good high-end restaurants but is a wasteland for food in general.

Just in Texas:

Mexican? Laughable! Better in Austin and San Antonio

Steak and Fish, better in Houston

BBQ, Lakewood is fantastic, but Austin has best BBQ in world

Asian, better in Houston by a thousand miles

Mom and Pop / dives, again Houston

Avant Garde, better in Austin and Houston

Cabrito, Brady
The Tex-Mex is definitely better in Austin. The Authentic Mexican is definitely better in Dallas.

As for Asian, Korean food is far better in Dallas than Houston. The North Indian food is about the same as Houston, but Southern Indian food is far better in Dallas.

Agreed about the Chinese food and Filipino food. That is much better in Houston.

Dallas has some great Vietnamese spots but it's impossible to compare with Houston on Vietnamese food. Houston is one of the best cities for Vietnamese anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas