Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 08:51 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,677,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThereDunThat View Post
If you're looking for anything remotely close to mountains, you're going to have to go to Arkansas for a weekend trip. When I was much younger I did a fair share of climbing and rappelling that was pretty good but may not be quite what you have in Colorado.

Here's a link: Arkansas Rock Climbing - Climbing in Arkansas - Rock Climbing
I second that. Weekend trips into the Ouchita mountains will offer some good climbing and hiking.
And further north into the Ozarks you can also find some decent areas.

Old 01-20-2016, 09:23 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit43 View Post
Now the task is finding the right place to live within a reasonable proximity to Plano. And to find a house that is not so gigantic...it seems it's true that everything is bigger in Texas.
I don't think you're going to need to worry about finding a gigantic house for $1500/mo. That budget is closer to a 2 bedroom apartment budget than a house budget. In Plano alone, only 3 of the 203 rental homes on the market are $1500 or less. You're going to see the same thing across most of the northern metroplex.

Old 01-20-2016, 10:51 PM

92 posts, read 116,479 times
McKinney would work for you. It takes about 20-30 from 380 to Parker in Plano if you zip up and down Custer.
Wylie might be a good fit as well with your budget.
That being said - I did a quick MLS and there were about 6 homes in West Plano that fit your budget so you don't necessarily have to leave Plano.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:43 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
There are very few liberals in DFW. There some democrats in areas of town that have a lot of minorities....

All areas are 100% minority. Texas has no majority.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:21 PM

44 posts, read 42,181 times
More great information, thank you. And the budget is not set at $1500, rather it is a goal based on the listings we have seen well within that price range. It's more about finding the right place.

I'm curious, are there any areas to be avoided due to crime?

Old 01-21-2016, 12:49 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,492,787 times
Quote:
More great information, thank you. And the budget is not set at $1500, rather it is a goal based on the listings we have seen well within that price range. It's more about finding the right place.

Based on the info you've given so far, I would say McKinney is a good bet for you. Of all the towns in Collin County (CC) that are within reasonable driving distance to Plano, it is the most "scenic" (by DFW standards, that is). There are more hills and trees, etc. (Of course the development bug has hit McKinney too, don't know what it will be like in a couple of years). It also has a cool, historical downtown square/historical district with good and fun restaurants, galleries, and events (Oktoberfest, farmers market).

Negatives: it's a bit far from the center of Dallas, which is where you'll need to go for the major cultural and sporting events. And traffic can be a nightmare. There's been construction on Central Expressway (Hwy 75) forever, and navigating it can be really problematic at times. Ditto Hwy. 380.

As for crime: CC is pretty safe, overall. Much of CC east of 75 is older and more blue collar. Exceptions exist -- Murphy is a thriving community, as are downtown Plano and the Los Rios area. Fairview, Parker, and Lovejoy are east of 75 and they are very nice communities with great schools and expensive real estate (probably not what you're looking for). These areas all have their devotees. Just a heads up.

As for whether you will "fit in" Collin County: It depends on you. I had similar worries, but I found that people don't come marching out of their front doors demanding to know what side of the political spectrum you are on. These days, everyone is from "somewhere else." None of my immediately adjacent neighbors are from Texas.

I do know there is a thriving and committed biking association in Plano and you will find a great community there. If you give it a chance and can find a way to overlook the lack of scenery (which is distressing for me at times) and assimilate to the heat of summer, you'll find the area has a lot to offer. Here's a link to Plano Bike assoc. They have a forum, too!
https://www.planobicycle.org

Just an aside: I was on a conference call with my colleagues recently, and they were all griping about the lack of direct flights to our home office destination. I had to laugh and couldn't help but point out that DFW has multiple direct flights pretty much wherever I want to go.

Cheap, too, if you know when to look.

Last edited by Brookside; 01-21-2016 at 12:58 PM..

Old 01-21-2016, 01:53 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:

Within relatively close proximity to Plano (assume DNT & 121 area), the only areas to avoid crime-wise are in Carrollton, specifically the area just south of Bush (190) loosely between DNT and Josey. The whole area isn't bad but there are definitely bad pockets in there, and a much higher crime rate than surrounding areas.

There are also some slightly rough areas in Old McKinney (east of 75), more in the apartment complexes than anything.

Old 01-21-2016, 08:31 PM

573 posts, read 336,298 times
Quote:
I am looking at having to move from a progressive mountain town to the Dallas area. My husband's work will be in Plano, but we are not set on living there and are open to anywhere between north Dallas and Plano. Having come from Santa Cruz, California originally and now Boulder, Colorado, we appreciate individuality, independent thought, open mindedness, good restaurants, healthy food, and an active outdoor lifestyle. I am a rock and mountain climber so my heart sinks at the thought of flat land! With that, I am wondering if there are places to live that offer a beautiful natural setting (not structured neighborhoods with houses side by side), that also allow for relatively easy access to a downtown area. I'm going in blind as I have never been there, so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Having made the move from Denver to Dallas in 2012, and a CU grad, I understand. Maybe check out Wylie or Rowlett. They'll be close to a big lake.

Welcome and hope you keep an open mind. There are many who just hate Dallas, and will rail on it all day long. Try to let go of Boulder and look for the positives in Dallas and surrounding areas, instead of trying to say "well in Boulder..." and you'll likely do fine.

If you are a Buffs fan, there is a CU Alumni DFW public group on FB. We usually meet at a somewhat recently opened Old Cs in Mockingbird Station in Dallas (Mockingbird and 75).

Old 01-22-2016, 07:09 PM

44 posts, read 42,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsn3r View Post
Having made the move from Denver to Dallas in 2012, and a CU grad, I understand. Maybe check out Wylie or Rowlett. They'll be close to a big lake.

Welcome and hope you keep an open mind. There are many who just hate Dallas, and will rail on it all day long. Try to let go of Boulder and look for the positives in Dallas and surrounding areas, instead of trying to say "well in Boulder..." and you'll likely do fine.

If you are a Buffs fan, there is a CU Alumni DFW public group on FB. We usually meet at a somewhat recently opened Old Cs in Mockingbird Station in Dallas (Mockingbird and 75).
Thank you, that makes me feel better. I had a look online at both Wylie and Rowlett and they appear to be distinct possibilities. And that is so true about having the right attitude. Boulder will be missed, but I will be sure to not wallow in it. It is also a tremendous relief to know that the Ouachita Mountains and some rock in Oklahoma are a few hours drive away...the flatland was my primary concern!

Brookside - I greatly appreciated that additional information. McKinney looks nice and I can see the housing prices are higher there, likely for that reason. It's another place we will explore as a possibility.

And thank you to all for the information. Going in blind, any and all is a big help!

Last edited by Summit43; 01-22-2016 at 07:24 PM..

Old 01-22-2016, 08:09 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,772,002 times
Ok. I'll bite. I have never lived in Boulder/Denver or Plano/Dallas, but I have spent quite a bit of time in both places. It's a trade off. In terms of natural scenery and the outdoor activities they enable, Boulder is SO superior it is painful. That said, while Plano is ugly, basically a more prosperous version of Aurora, there are benefits: food, for a starter. Boulder is IMO a culinary wasteland. There is one excellent, but stratospherically expensive Italian restaurant -Frasca, otherwise the mediocre nouvelle American establishments around Pearl Street. In Plano, you will have significantly superior Asian food of many kinds: Indian, Thai, Korean, Japanese, Chinese of a few different regional kinds, much better Mexican food of all kinds. Plano is noticeably more ethnically diverse than Boulder, and that is obvious in the restaurant department. Boulder is a one note town, and for me, a lethal combination of podunk and pretentious. Its ostensible liberalism is thin and unearned. It is arguably the largest college town in the U.S. without a single gay bar. Its Jewish community is tiny. It is overwhelmingly white, Xtian, and even Plano is significantly more worldly, cosmopolitan and tolerant of differences on a day to day basis.

Then when I am in DFW, while I try to avoid heading north of 635, which is basically southern Oklahoma with real beer, Plano is closer to Dallas than Boulder is to Denver, and Denver is what Dallas would be if you shrank it by half and gave it a lobotomy and added proximity to great skiing. In Dallas, you will have some great cultural institutions - real ballet, opera, symphony and if you count Fort Worth - world class art museums, an interesting live music scene, plus a smattering of independent bookstores and a plethora of restaurants that are actually good - all lacking in Denver. Dallas is not user friendly - you have to hunt to find what you need, but it is all there, Denver not so much.

In terms of scenic beauty, you are in for a massive downgrade, in terms of the human made environment , you are in for a massive upgrade. Good luck. I would much rather live in Dallas, or Richardson, than Plano. YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas