Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 06:02 PM

14 posts, read 12,315 times

Advertisements

I hear about people from Texas talk about hunting from their back porch. Where would you have to buy to make this a possibility?

We are looking to live in an area that is commutable to the metro area but far enough away to be able to hunt and shoot on our own land.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 06:30 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,486,572 times
They must live in the middle of no where. This area sprawls and sprawls. I'm not sure if you can find anything within commutable distance to Dallas unless you're willing to drive at least an hour or 2 each way. Maybe Parker County or Hood County, but there's even a lot of growth out there, but Fort Worth isn't too far. The Fort Worth side is just a lot weaker economically, a lot less job opportunities.

Old 01-20-2016, 08:49 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,872,645 times
My dad once shot an 8 point buck off the back porch in Poetry, Hunt County.

The problem is that in order to have enough land for hunting, you really need 20+ acres. That's not going to be cheap.

Old 01-20-2016, 11:04 PM

94 posts, read 287,926 times
From TX senate bill 1742:

"A shotgun, air rifle or pistol, BB gun, or bow and arrow can be discharged on a property that was annexed after 9/01/1981 and is: 10 acres or more, and more than: 1) 1000 ft from any public land, school, day care or hospital. 2) 600 ft from any residential subdivision and multifamily residential complex. 3) 150 ft from a residence or occupied building on another property.

A center fire or rim fire or pistol can be discharged on a property that was annexed after 9/01/1981 and is: 50 acres or more, and more than: 1) 1000 ft from any public land, school, day care or hospital. 2) 600 ft from any residential subdivision and multifamily residential complex. 3) 300 ft from a residence or occupied building on another property."

This comes up every year in places like Frisco during dove season that used to be pretty rural, but is now being built out.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:21 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,746,551 times
Yeah DH and friends used to dove hunt in the neighborhood. Then they built houses she messed it up

Old 01-21-2016, 11:05 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,614,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmoPuffinburger View Post

"A shotgun, air rifle or pistol, BB gun, or bow and arrow can be discharged on a property that was annexed after 9/01/1981 and is: 10 acres or more, and more than: 1) 1000 ft from any public land, school, day care or hospital. 2) 600 ft from any residential subdivision and multifamily residential complex. 3) 150 ft from a residence or occupied building on another property.

A center fire or rim fire or pistol can be discharged on a property that was annexed after 9/01/1981 and is: 50 acres or more, and more than: 1) 1000 ft from any public land, school, day care or hospital. 2) 600 ft from any residential subdivision and multifamily residential complex. 3) 300 ft from a residence or occupied building on another property."

This comes up every year in places like Frisco during dove season that used to be pretty rural, but is now being built out.
This applies to "annexed" land, or land within a municipal city limits. There is no minimum size for rural land in the country. This I found out from a game warden when I told him about my neighbors who owned less than 5 acres but were shooting across my and towards my house when I owned acreage in rural Henderson County.

Old 01-21-2016, 12:08 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,872,645 times
The reason I say you need 20 acres is to avoid shooting off your property. Sure, you can have less than that, but you run the risk of stray bullets hitting someone/something off your property. You also won't have a lot of room to hunt on a small piece of land.

Old 01-21-2016, 04:38 PM

14 posts, read 12,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
They must live in the middle of no where. This area sprawls and sprawls. I'm not sure if you can find anything within commutable distance to Dallas unless you're willing to drive at least an hour or 2 each way. Maybe Parker County or Hood County, but there's even a lot of growth out there, but Fort Worth isn't too far. The Fort Worth side is just a lot weaker economically, a lot less job opportunities.
This is what I expected to hear but I had to ask anyways. Im sure there is many areas with large areas of land between houses that you can hunt on but youre going to pay a good price and be a long ways away from the cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmoPuffinburger View Post

This sounds like it is a bill straight from a federal law. Even in AZ where we dove hunt it is the same distance as the TX senate bill. Then the local sheriff can always enforce county ordinance that limits it even further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
The reason I say you need 20 acres is to avoid shooting off your property. Sure, you can have less than that, but you run the risk of stray bullets hitting someone/something off your property. You also won't have a lot of room to hunt on a small piece of land.
I would bow hunt larger game and shot gun upland birds on my own land. Any deer hunting I would much rather get out of the city.

Old 01-22-2016, 12:23 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,644 times
FWIW, I hunt on 180 acres on the Red River. We often still have bordering neighbors that can/do scare of game hunting at the same time.

Old 01-22-2016, 04:12 PM

176 posts, read 234,197 times
Sheepdog2015, I purchased land in southeast Cooke County. I am on the north part of Lake Ray Roberts. The area is gorgeous. I have land backing up onto the lake (owned by the Army Corps of Engineers). I moved up here to get away from the city. Hunting is pretty good on my property as I back up onto Corps property. So you might want to check out the area up here. I do NOT have to commute to Dallas but I could be in Frisco at Eldorado and the Dallas North Tollway area which is about 36 miles in about 1 hour. The land up in this area is gorgeous. It has lots of Post Oaks and sandy loam. It is extremely desirable. My land value has already gone up about $6,000.00 an acre since I purchase 2.5 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas