Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 05:02 PM

23 posts, read 96,847 times

Advertisements

Hmmm...lived in Denton for about 10 years (including 4 while attending UNT) and my experience was NOTHING like some of the previous posts! I found Denton to be just about like every other town of its size in America! It has traffic issues because of all the growth (of the town and universities). It has nice areas and not so nice areas. Plenty of good restaurants, plenty of bad. Some good schools, some not so good. You know what I mean...I would say Denton the city is slow to change, but that describes about half the towns in TX! There are a lot of students in and out of Denton (around 45,000 between both universities, I believe), so it IS a college town in just about every way possible!! You can make a hobby of people watching down near the universities - LOL!! Your dollar will go much further in Denton than many of the DFW surburbs. I have a brother and sister in law (and their three boys) there and my mother is in Denton, so I get back there occassionally. It is fun to see the changes since we left two years ago. I wouldn't say Denton is the greatest place on earth, but it is a fine place to live, work, and raise a family. My biggest complaint about Denton is that it is pretty spread out!! I used to complain about being on one side of town and needing to go all the way across for something - HUGE cross to bear in a city, I know - LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 09:17 PM

80 posts, read 417,496 times
There's a Rudy's BBQ location.

If you visit, eat there. :-)

Old 02-11-2008, 06:22 AM

23 posts, read 96,847 times
Also check out the local chains of Bari's (italian food on Oak St. near UNT) and New York Sub. Both great lunch joints!! Oh, and the Hamburger Co. on the square is good, too!! Then for dessert you can go next door to Beth Marie's for wonderful homemade style ice cream - I am getting hungry - LOL!!!!!

Old 02-11-2008, 01:44 PM

384 posts, read 1,413,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pot_roast View Post
There's a Rudy's BBQ location.

If you visit, eat there. :-)

metzlers has better bar b q. and its locally owned.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:12 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,433,039 times
Denton is a very nice city and has very good schools and churches. There is a lot of new homes there and the prices are good. The area is growing very fast. There is a lot of shopping and restaurants. Golden Triangle Mall is going down though and will probably close when Rayzor Ranch Town Center opens up in 2009. Dillards, JcPenny, and Macy's have already decided to move out there when it opens up. There is also a lot of shopping and restaurants on Loop 288 behind the mall.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:04 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
The Town Square is cool.

And colters is honestly very good.

Old 02-13-2008, 01:59 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,582,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnybunny0726 View Post
Also check out the local chains of Bari's (italian food on Oak St. near UNT) and New York Sub. Both great lunch joints!! Oh, and the Hamburger Co. on the square is good, too!! Then for dessert you can go next door to Beth Marie's for wonderful homemade style ice cream - I am getting hungry - LOL!!!!!
You're bringing back some great memories! Used to go to Bari's and Denton Co. hamburger after class.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:42 PM

10 posts, read 25,631 times
Hey,Thanx so much to everyone for the inputs about denton, atsyguy had me rethinkin my moves for a minute but ya'all stepped in and really made me realize i wasn't makin such a bad choice. Which is good since i already had my apartment--lol! That woulda really sucked to start my search all over again-huh!! And i also really appreciate all the input on good places to eat--i am a mother to 3, young too, so i haven't quite hit the betty crocker stage of my life-ya know-i'm definitely gonna try em out!! I'll be there on Friday so im hopin everything goes well and im lookin forward to meeting somebody other than a south dakotan. I think i can handle a little weird-its not like i gotta go home with em everyday,right! People in south dakota are a bit strange too-but really most everybody is a transplant--so there are sooo many different personalities it gets a bit crazy.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:07 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
ya if you don't require a high tech and cool culture like I do, then Denton should be OK for you. Just be careful who you let your kids talk too. Seriously, you can find stats on the high rates of crime there.

And let us know how you like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDakgirl View Post
Hey,Thanx so much to everyone for the inputs about denton, atsyguy had me rethinkin my moves for a minute but ya'all stepped in and really made me realize i wasn't makin such a bad choice. Which is good since i already had my apartment--lol! That woulda really sucked to start my search all over again-huh!! And i also really appreciate all the input on good places to eat--i am a mother to 3, young too, so i haven't quite hit the betty crocker stage of my life-ya know-i'm definitely gonna try em out!! I'll be there on Friday so im hopin everything goes well and im lookin forward to meeting somebody other than a south dakotan. I think i can handle a little weird-its not like i gotta go home with em everyday,right! People in south dakota are a bit strange too-but really most everybody is a transplant--so there are sooo many different personalities it gets a bit crazy.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:47 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,582,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDakgirl View Post
Good for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas