Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 03:34 PM

10 posts, read 25,500 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody!!! Im moving from south dakota to denton in about a week and i was just wondering if anybody could tell me anything about the area. I've already found an apartment for now, until i check out the area a little better,then hopefully I can make a more permanent home for my family. Any information on good elementary schools in the area, daycares, preschools, activities or groups for younger children would be appreciated. I have no family in the area so i want to find plenty of ways to keep my little ones meeting new friends, and things to keep them busy. Any info or input would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanx in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 05:06 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,804,646 times
Hi

I used to live there and think that some parts of the city, mostly around the Universities are in a time warp. That isn't a good thing either. The overall culture is sort of strange IMO.

The good:
-The good parts are you have several good public libraries with very friendly staff.

- There is a nice water park in the area for the kids.

- I don't know much about public schools there (sorry) but I know the Universities there are weird, it's like they are trapped in a time warp.

- The mall is good and has a discount theater inside of it.

- some people there are really friendly

- Resteraunts actually have delicious food there.

The Bad:

- Most professionals there are fake and have a bad attitude. They don't get the work done and give you a hard time.

- The culture is strange and very unfriendly in some parts of the city.

- The conservative churches rule with an iron fist.

- Roads are terrible in some parts of the city.

- Traffic is horrible. I do mean horrible.

- some people are down right creepy.

- high incidents of child abuse and sexual abuse in the city

- University girl was brutally murdered there recently (was a big deal)

I didn't like the city at all. I hope you are very careful. Good luck to you.

What do you think of it now?

Last edited by artsyguy; 02-06-2008 at 05:19 PM..

Old 02-07-2008, 05:02 AM

384 posts, read 1,408,291 times
a time warp? what do u mean?

dont listen to artsguy he/she is the only one that has negatives against denton. denton is RARE town for texas in a good way.

i love denton. im from corpus christi and ive lived in DC. denton is amazing!!!!!!!!

truely a unique town in texas.

like austin 20yrs ago.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:02 AM

41 posts, read 187,976 times
I owned my first house in Denton in 2001. It had a great floor plan that I've not seen anything close to elsewhere, plus a huge yard. (I'm purchasing another house now, but when I was looking, I kept comparing everything to this one.) IMO, you get more for your dollar in Denton. It is so much further north than most people are willing to commute. While Denton is not the most "happening" place in the metroplex, it does retain a small town feel. It is a college town with two big universities. I liked Denton, but would not move back because of the commute to Dallas. If you have concerns about crime (which I don't recall a high incidence of there), do your research. I can't comment on the school district, as I do not have children.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:16 PM

The culture is in a time warp.

The only people who love Denton are people who are cool with living in a backward and weird time warp.

I forgot to mention that some people are down right prejudice there and are not afraid to act upon it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbit View Post
a time warp? what do u mean?

dont listen to artsguy he/she is the only one that has negatives against denton. denton is RARE town for texas in a good way.

i love denton. im from corpus christi and ive lived in DC. denton is amazing!!!!!!!!

truely a unique town in texas.

like austin 20yrs ago.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:43 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,569,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
The culture is in a time warp.

The only people who love Denton are people who are cool with living in a backward and weird time warp.

I forgot to mention that some people are down right prejudice there and are not afraid to act upon it either.
Artsyguy, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but you sure do stereotype folks there

Ease up a little, eh?

Old 02-07-2008, 02:49 PM

no. it is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
Artsyguy, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but you sure do stereotype folks there

Ease up a little, eh?

Old 02-07-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
no. it is true.
[/u]
Uh, no it's not. I lived in Denton for 4 years while I attended North Texas.
It is NOT what you portray it as.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:48 PM

Yes it is. That place was very strange. People gave me a hard time for nothing. You didn't see anything wrong with it because you probably fit perfectly into that culture. Naturally, you would think it is a wonderful place and get defensive if somebody pointed out reality to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
[/u]
Uh, no it's not. I lived in Denton for 4 years while I attended North Texas.
It is NOT what you portray it as.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:50 PM

Forget it, you're not worth communicating with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas